myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sailing season in the gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farabi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: sailing season in the gorge Reply with quote

How long is the sailing season in the Gorge?

I don't really care about the temperature much i.e 40 degrees is fine, as long as it's windy...
ericandholly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the 40 down to a 30, be willing to drive 45 minutes west and it's all year long, though you may need to chip ice off of your sail/kite in Nov/Dec/Jan.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people sail all year long, not me, I skip Dec/ Jan. Then I start febuary, even though that is when the water is the coldest 38. I look mostly for the warm east wind day's with the air 55-60, I do more slalom sailing and spend little time in the water. The good west wind becomes more common in April and often you have the hatch to yourself or a handfull of die hards. West winds become less common by November.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my buds sail year 'round in the eastern (desert) Gorge. The conditions in Jan and Feb may be sunny or overcast, with water temps dipping to upper 30s and air temps from upper 30s to around 50. Winter winds are usually gusty, but can be fairly steady, and are often very strong (always westerly). Swell can get huge on the better days. If they're lucky enough to get wind from the (rare) proper direction (SSW), Port Kelley swell dwarfs anything else on the Columbia. More commonly, Maryhill/the Wall/Arlington/3-Mile can absolutely RIP in the winter. Of course, they dress like Eskimos and sometimes rig in near-freezing drizzle, but they think they're having fun.

And isn't that what counts?

OTOH, in the '99-'00 winter, I sailed barehanded out there until mid-January; some winters arrive very late, remain mild, and/or succumb to spring early.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such thing as a "sailing season" here in the Gorge for some of us. East winds nuke much of the winter here, these are much more reliable & consistent than west winds. Nice thing about winter easties, air becomes very dry and the sun comes out at Stevenson / Rooster.... feels great. Biggest problem comes along in February / March when the river water turns very cold (coldest of the year) from snow runoff. Then, it's just a matter of mind control and keeping the blood flowing....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22839819#22839819
farabi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's all I need to hear. My friend had to break ice along the shore this Feb so that we can go sailing. I don't mind that every once in a while. My concern was It not being windy in the winder because that's what I have heard from someone .
jimoakes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi farabi,

I hope you come here and sail the off season. That's what we need, more sailors. I sail a lot of the cold months but it's more fun if other people are on the water.

I sailed Texas in the cold months for years. The real wind (4.7 and better)in Texas from October to early March is on cold fronts so it's around 45 air temp. I found it is actually windier and just as warm or warmer in the Gorge in the winter. I sailed lot's more days my first winter in the Gorge than any winter in Texas. Texas gets a lot of summer like days in winter with no wind.
Another observation for Gorge winter sailing. A 50 degree air temp west wind day FEELS way warmer than a 50 degree east wind day. May be the stoke factor of the bigger swells on west wind days, but it feels warmer.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple east wind days in Feb. where ait temp was 60 and it felt warmer than some of the west wind April/ May days this year. It was an extra cold spring, coldest since 1996.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which, if memory and reports are correct, was another extremely windy year.

\m/
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great sailing without cold water for at least a couple months yet:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: