myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who ya gonna call?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Who ya gonna call? Reply with quote

Well, whoever you thought, fuggedaboutit unless it's SNix 911.

Today Scott Nix was again an ass-saver extraordinaire at Coyote Pt.

While most of us revelled in the good ebb-tide conditions, SNix, the lone kiter at Coyote, noticed a windsurfer in distress and took it upon himself to come to his aid and eventually request a call for Coast Guard assistance for Lars who suffered a separated shoulder just outside of the swim area.

After about 45 minutes of attempts to tow Lars in the Coasties arrived on the scene and ferried Lars and his board to the Coyote Pt. Marina.

SNix, not satisfied that the Coasties left Lar's rig to sink in the Bay mud, decided to save the poor boy at least $1000. and towed the sinking rig to the "last chance beach" before the Coyote Pt. Marina mouth.
With the help of Mrs. Nix, who drove down to the marina to help retrieve the rig over the rip-rap levee, Lars' rig was returned intact to Boardsporstsschool for safe keeping until its owner could collect it.

Cheers to team 911 (the Nixs) and best wishes and a hope for swift recovery to Lars!

Very Happy

Larsa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Lars here, now typing one handed... Wink First of all, let me take this opportunity to really thank everyone involved in my rescue and recovery yesterday! Coyote pt has truly world class regulars and for sure, that's one of the reasons I choose to sail mostly there. I consider myself very lucky to have my accident there.

So, on my first run yesterday after work I had a good run up close to the buoy. During a long lull I got off the plane and opted for a "stylish" crashed tack... I turned around, waterstarted, quickly got planing and was working to get my back foot into the strap. A strong gust somewhat upset my balance and since I was leaning out pushing my foot I was unable to quickly sheet out so instead I tried to get down really low and push upwind. The speed really picked up and unfortunately I was unable to control the forward rotation of the rig so I found myself being slowly launched at the water with my right arm facing down. I remember thinking to myself that this is going to be a rough one...

After the crash I was a bit dizzy trying to locate my gear and I felt pretty beat up. When working myself towards the board I saw something in the corner of my eye floating on the surface. When I realized it ws my hand and arm I tried to control it without success. I havent't broke my arm before or dislocated anything so I assumed it was prabably broken since it was just hanging there. I somehow crawled on my board (which luckily enough is 125l) and after arranging my arm in my knee I began to wave and call for help as much as I could. There were some people quite close but unfortunately they didn't spot me. I was getting a bit worried because I knew drifting downwind there would be less chance of anyone spotting me. After calming down a bit I realized I could probably in worst case ditch the rig, lay on the board and paddle back with my left arm. However after approx 10 minutes a kiter spotted me, which later introduced himself as Scott. He got up close and after realizing I couldn't sail back he got quickly back to shore and got someone to call the coastguard. Scott then sailed back to me and stayed with me all the time until the coastguard boat showed up after 45 mins. Although I wasn't in a very chatty mood being in severe pain and dealing with the chop, having Scott around felt incredibly good. Also, some windsurfers came out to check on me and one of them, Jane from boardsports, took care of car key, called my wife and made sure I didn't have to worry about anything practical. The pain went from bad to worse and by the time the coastguard picked me up I felt pretty bad. The guys on the boat got my board but had to leave the rig since it somehow got stuck. They said that they'd marked it and was going back to pick it up later. I now understand that Scott took care of this instead and that was a incredibly nice move, my favourite rig and all... Smile

At the hospital they quickly realized it was only a dislocation so that was quickly fixed and I got out with a nice arm support to use for a couple of weeks. The arm feels like rubber right now but hopefully the recovery is quick.

So again, can't thank you guys (and the coastguard) enough! See you around.

Lars (some of you might recognize me as the Swedish guy...)
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, Coyote has some of the most experienced sailors in the bay area.
I lost a fin and some dude sailed back to the beach and borrowed a fin for me. He helped me install it and I sailed back.

Thanks Sir!
sergem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My respect to Mr. and Mrs. Nix.
I am proud to sail with you!

(Mo, thank you for posting this, I think such things should be known)
windy1jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: calling 911 Reply with quote

Hi,
Glad to hear you are OK. I was driving on the SM bridge west bound after a day at Point Isabel when I saw you crash, as drove by I could see you looked like you were in trouble.

I call my wife and told her to call the coast guard. She ended up with the San Mateo fire dept. after calling 911.

They, in turn, called me to get more info. I told them it looked like a windsurfer with a red board had crashed hard and the board was on its edge, not flat on the water, as it should be.

That call, went out within minutes of your crash.

I am so glad that you were helped in a timely manner.

Regards

Jim McFadden
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. I am glad that it all worked out. My experience has always been that that type of caring and helpfulness between kiters and windsurfers in the Bay Area is much more the norm than some of the conflicts we sometimes read about.
Larsa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Thanks for calling 911 and that certainly explains why the FD turned up even before the medics.

However, actually most likely it wasn't me that you spotted since I was quite some way from SM bridge, I had nothing in red and I was sitting on my board flat for the whole time.

The coastguards actually went up to the bridge to look for someone before they went to me so maybe there was someone in trouble over there that you spotted who eventually made it back without assistance.
windy1jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Karma Reply with quote

However it worked out, it worked.

Great Karma, I think!!

Bless the wind Goddess!!

See you on the Bay!!!

Jim
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the coast guard on a VHS radio on ch 16...but if anyone needs to report a windsurfer/kiter emergency, you can also program this number below into your cell phone. That number reaches the central command center for any SF Bay Area coast guard emergency:

SF COAST GUARD COMMAND CENTRAL EMERGENCY TEL #

http://www.uscg.mil/d11/airstaSanFrancisco/

We have a VHS radio at the Coyote Shop so anytime we can help contact the coast guard at the beach. The observation tower in the shop gave me a great view on Lars's position....it took them a while to get a boat to him.

Thanks to Scott for staying by him with his yellow kite...making Lars easy to find!!

Lars - thanks again for the flowers!!

Jane
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - SF - San Mateo
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccormier wrote:
Thanks to Scott for staying by him with his yellow kite...making Lars easy to find!!

Scott actually kited out to the CG boat and redirected them when they seemed off course for the rescue. And more thanks to SNix for going above and beyond by dragging Lars' waterlogged, sinking rig to a safe spot at the marina. Few people could or would do that.
As Lars said Saturday, "It's my favorite sail!"
Coyote Point sailors look after each other. That's just another reason Coyote's such a great place to sail!

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: