myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Something we can all agree on? Starboard + swell ride = ROW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding swell on the Columbia. Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
should know better than to run off a swell rider on starboard.

Once again ... why does starboard matter when riding swell or waves (i.e., changing directions)? That's a new one on me.

Mike \m/
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Yeah, does it matter? Reply with quote

I just threw in "starboard" to try and make it a no-brainer. I would rather throw out the rule book and just keep surfing as having ROW.

It was amazing how big the swells got with such moderate wind (22ish at Swell) yesterday. It was lots of fun!
mik377

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to know the rules but in crowded/real world conditions you can throw that chart out the window. Common sense and current conditions trump interpretation of the rules. When you have 99 people ripping across the river in the same direction and one guy going against the flow of traffic I would say that he is the one causing a hazard, even if he is technically in the right according to the rules (and thats a big maybe).
Why not just sail up or down of the crowd where there's free swell to be had.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason it's free: it's not as good as the crowded swell.

Mike \m/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bros and I sail so close together in the swells, it scares people on the beach. Real sailors can miss each other by inches and not disrupt the flow of their turns.

I've rarely encountered the problems described here (and only in flatwater, event site, rowena conditions) and find it hard to believe there could be so much discussion about it.

If someone gets in your way once, let it slide. The second time, pull a Tony Barbieri on that azz!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't refuse to sail in crowds, people would be in the way of my maneuvering every few seconds. Let's see ... in a good day of sailing ... every 10 seconds = 6 per minute X 60 minutes per hour X 10 hours on a geeat day = up to 3600 times a day people impede my fun at a place like the Hatchery on a windy summer day. In reality, I may want to go straight now and then, and find some clear swell when the lemmings go ashore to re-rig, and fall way too often, and finding 10 hours of really good wind in one day is rare, so let's drop that 3,600 to a mere thousand times a day somebody causes me abort or alter a maneuver if the only wind is confined to crowded spot ... i.e., if I'm sailing in the Gorge in the summer.

NOW do you unnerstan why we gripe about it? Wink

Mike \m/
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Alrighty then, let's go upwind! Reply with quote

Mulekick, Isobars, meet you up near Cheap or Swell City for a nice ride down to the Zone of Narcissism. When we reach the Zone, watch out for the "force field" of 1000 windsurfer going in boring straight lines across the wind. When we reach the rock, head immediately back upwind to repeat. Forget about the fat jacked-up Hatch swells with nobody riding them. Let them go to waste for the sake of safety.

Let's have some fun swell rides upwind together!
Razz
pabloson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from a couple of people this summer who think the swell rider has ROW. It must be a hold-over from surfing, but it just doesn't make sense in windsurfing. I mean, can you imagine being on starboard swell on a busy day at the Hatch and expecting everybody to veer out of your way so that you can have a swell. I mean, fantasizing is one thing, but....

Admittedly I am one of those ramp seeking missiles on port. However, I do frequently bear off to give somebody the swell if I am feeling generous and love it when others do the same for me.

I do scratch my head that everybody seems to like to crowd together at a few choice spots. I mean, sure the swell may be better, but is it worth the aggravation and how much freedom do you really get to do your thing?

I drove by Doug's last Sunday(?) and it was way over-parked with lots of overflow down to Rugs and even the Culvert. I continued onward to Avery and had a stellar 3.7 session with about 6 other sailors. No worries about ROW. Avery, Rowena, Mosier. All great spots. Much more relaxing. Doug's, Rug's, Hatch, Cheap, all great in the spring and fall.

Well, I guess it's all about getting de-sensitized.

Let's see some pix folks! Where's the stoke?

aviary.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.3 KB
 Viewed:  12418 Time(s)

aviary.jpg

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: How's THIS for a fat swell?! Reply with quote

This one rolled through Doug's a couple years ago. It must've been 30' high. OK, maybe 15'. NOBODY ON IT!

fat swell at Doug's.jpg
 Description:
Big fattie!
 Filesize:  476.79 KB
 Viewed:  12414 Time(s)

fat swell at Doug's.jpg

pabloson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Swell from a 60 mph day at Rufus

ocean rollers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.05 KB
 Viewed:  12393 Time(s)

ocean rollers.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: