myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Using full amount of mast extension - bad for mast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir speedy, so glad you could join our discussion with such a "focused" view. Perhaps you've never had discussions on the beach about gear? Sometimes, when some folk(s) who want to do a little techy no wind rig-fest, there's plenty of gear to find out all kinds of things. Sorta like the loaves and fishes parable. Yes, I do have a little more gear than the avg sailor. And, people often ask me for advice on the beach about rigging and tuning. Would you rather I not share knowledge on these forums? I think I've asked you to avoid reading my posts in the past if they seem distasteful. Could you do so, please?

What do you try to achieve by attacking me so? Do you think these attacks encourage other folks to participate?
shreddbob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that this is a very moot point. For an overwhelming majority of windsurfers their enjoyment won't be effected by the variations found here. If they notice the differences and can afford to mix-and-match, they belong to the exceptional few.

Speedysailor, how do YOU come to your above conclusion? Have you polling stats of fellow windsurfers to support YOUR conclusion? Do you realize how overbearing you sound here?

Thanks jingerbritsen for sharing your hard won knowledge on the subject of gear tuning. I have personal experience to vouch for the benefits of matching masts to sails to improve performance. The difference in the feel of my 9.4 that I sailed today with an alternate mast is huge! Before the new mast I never liked this sail at all (and it was the recommended mast too). I like the idea of using idle time on the beach to swap tuning tips and swap components. Makes perfect sense to me!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some of you are not aware that Speedysailor boasts right in his website that he is a troll, that he gets his jollies soliciting and eliciting anger and thus wasting others' time and emotions. He's literally not sane, so he doesn't warrant your attention.

Mike \m/
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anacreon wrote:
Speedysailor, how do YOU come to your above conclusion? Have you polling stats of fellow windsurfers to support YOUR conclusion? Do you realize how overbearing you sound here?

Relatively speaking, Brucie has been behaving himself for the last few weeks. Perhaps he finally found the right blend of meds.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one possible exception, I have never had a mast fail as a result of using the extension at or near the top of it's range. The exception was a break on a used mast that had previously broken and been repaired at the base. Using a tall extension most likely contributed to the failure, but it very well may have happened anyway.

In any case, I don't really see a problem using a tall extension at it's full range. Most mast manufacturers require a minimum 6" of insertion. The bigger issue that I've had is at 6'-3", 210lb and fairly agressive sailor, I've ended up bending a couple tall aluminum extensions (regualar and skinny). If it's a good mast, it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, try to check with the mfg's warranty.

sm
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of possibly overlooked points here....
1. Mast extensions can break. They're NOT the same flex and strength as the bottom portion of the mast. Either way, incompatibility leads to failures.
2. Gotta stay well within a foot of the boom reinforcement area of your mast. Raise the mast 18", you raise the bottom of the boom reinforcement dangerously close to your new boom attach point.
3. Bigger diameter and stiffer, less bendy portion of mast is now higher up in the sail, where MAYBE a smaller diameter, bendier section is called for.....unusual stress
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
Calling someone a troll

No one "called you" a troll; you boasted in no uncertain words on your own website that you are a troll.

Mike
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Sounds like some of you are not aware that Speedysailor boasts right in his website that he is a troll, that he gets his jollies soliciting and eliciting anger and thus wasting others' time and emotions. He's literally not sane, so he doesn't warrant your attention.

Mike \m/
Actually, by posting this, which isn't true, you are inferring that I'm a troll. Otherwise you are a slanderer and liar. Whatever website you reference, it isn't mine and probably only exists in your warped, crooked imagination.
As a follow-up to the original question, my Pacific Lance 490 broke yesterday at the ferrule, not the bottom. I noticed the crack when de-rigging and was able to break the ferrule off with my hand. I put in many days of hard sailing with it and really can't complain about the service. However, a replacement will be expensive whether I buy another Chinese product or go for a Fiberspar.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Actually, by posting this, which isn't true, you are inferring that I'm a troll. Otherwise you are a slanderer and liar. Whatever website you reference, it isn't mine and probably only exists in your warped, crooked imagination.

What? But it IS true that he posted that. As always, Brucie, you're confused.

You mean that this isn't you? Aren't you the long-gone "cosmicharlie" aka "comic charlie"? Isn't that your smiling face and bald head, standing beside a sail in your backyard?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
sundowner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a real cool sail... How many have yall have actually seen the elusive Mr. Brucie?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: