myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Interested in moving to Portland, Oregon.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonpelli2799

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Interested in moving to Portland, Oregon..... Reply with quote

Hey there all!

I am posting this to get a bit of feedback from you on thoughts about living in the Portland area. For the next 4-5 years I have the ability to live in the US where ever I want. For some reason, the Portland area has always interested me.

My main reason from wanting to move is that my wife and I currently live south of Houston. While we have a waterfront (bayou) house that is cheap compared to Portland prices, I need an urban city. Meaning, I am tired of sprawl and a lack of environmentally conscious people. I figure that I will definitely find a walking friendly, environmentally conscious outdoorsy culture up there.

While the windsurfing in the Gorge insterests me, I am by no means moving just for the windsurfing.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, places to visit, things to see, neighborhoods to look at...

thanks for any info,

Jason
smalley57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: love portland but weather shouldn't affect you Reply with quote

I live in Hood River and even though I think it is one of the prettiest places around, I also love Portland. Would love to have a loft apartment there but that doesn't make sense. Portland is a very urban spot with great music, lots of festivals, and awesome restaurants. On a sunny day it is so pretty with all the bridges and water but the weather can be gray and rainy for sometimes days. If you are affected by weather and you need tons of sun then don't consider it. The Northwest district around NW 23rd is great and if you are looking for loft living then the Pearl is great. HOpe this helps.
anthwind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do come, try to have a job lined up or you will be with the other thousands of people in Portland dreaming about a good job and years later moving back to where they came from. I wish you the best in your quest. Portland has lots of great nieghborhoods near town just spendy!
advgeek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take a trip and spend a week here and poke around. You'll quickly get a flavor for different neighborhoods as Portland is pretty compact compared to Houston. No need to even rent a car except for a day trip to the Gorge when it's windy Smile Otherwise the MAX, street can and buses can get you from the airport to anywhere in town.

If you're interested in real urban living then it might be worth looking at a few of the lofts for sale in the Pearl or downtown. Price per square foot will be shockingly high ($400-$500/sq ft.) compared to what your used to in Houston however. If you want a regular house (usually an older bungalow) in a close in neighborhood then check out inner Southeast, Northeast and North Portland. Belmont, Hollywood, Beaumont, Hawthorne all are close in and walkable, but of course fairly pricey these days. The Portland suburbs will seem a lot like a mini Houston, so if you're looking for a change then skip those.

Definitely head the warning about the weather however. The November-February stretch can be brutal. Many years have 60+ days of straight rain and dark skies. Think driving around all week with your headlights on in constant drizzle. Summers are so perfect, especially when you spend your weekends in the Gorge, it's easy to forget. Learn to ski or snowboard otherwise you'll go mad in the winter time.

Oh and develop a taste for real beer.

Good Luck
kitebro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Berkeley,CA? Nice place on the map: parks, year round farmers markets, good local wind and epic nearby wind at Sherman Island, Crissy or wave sailing at Waddell Creek and arguably the most environmentally conscious city around...I've got family in portland though too and they seem to love it there. Can't go wrong i guess!
joeviento32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can live anywhere, why not live in Washington which like Texas also does not have a state income tax? You can shop in Oregon (no sales tax) and still be near Portland and Hood River and Mt Hood if you live near the Columbia river.

Of course you have to both live and receive income in Washington to get this advantage.
joeviento32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can live anywhere, why not live in Washington which like Texas also does not have a state income tax? You can shop in Oregon (no sales tax) and still be near Portland and Hood River and Mt Hood if you live near the Columbia river.

Of course you have to both live and receive income in Washington to get this advantage.
advgeek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeviento32 wrote:

I think he said he wanted to get away from sprawl and try some urban culture ... which would pretty much rule out the 'Couve. There's more to life than low taxes.
truckirwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Definitly Try Portland! Reply with quote

I moved to the Northwest 20+ years ago from Colorado. I have been around the world a few times, lived in Europe and Mexico. Camped and fished in Alaska, Canada and the Rockies.

Portland, Mt. Hood and the Gorge have it all beat. There are very few places in the world that are so close to nature, provide so many opportunities and are so comfortable to live.

Don't listen to the naysayers about the jobs... there are all kinds of opportunities for careers and education. Portland is wonderful. Take a couple of 1-2 week long exploratory vacations and experience the music, art, beer and restaurants. I now live in Hood River, but I just drove through Portland and visited with our friends... I could move back in a minute! try some of the close in neighborhoods. Some are spendy, but some are affordable while still being nice. Try Troutdale too, It's a bit of a Portland suburb, but it's right at the mouth of the gorge, 20 mins to skiing on Hood, 30 mins to sailing in the gorge and minutes away from the Sandy river for swimming and rafting.

I am all for Portland and the Gorge... I should be making money off of this kind of post, but I am not!

Pack, move, be happy!
jerrybertrand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Portland, OR + Reply with quote

I agree with truckirwin. I started my second business there in 1985 (still going strong) after "interviewing" the greater Portland area for a few months including my first Gorge day in October, 1984!

Try it for a week (or two) at a time and get a feel; try the Cascades just to the north of Camas, WA at the West end of the Gorge since that area gets more rain but less cloudy/foggy days in the winter months (you get rain or sun more often than rain or clouds/fog). Go to 2000 feet elevation - it is magical and less problematic for living and getting around. (Note that there are no branches on the East side of the trees due to the Gorge winds that really blow in the winter - up to 100 kts! Summer is lighter at "up to 50 kts"...)

The long periods of rain are okay in return for the constant freshness of the air; drive up a few thousand feet and you can see the volcanic peaks that punctuate with their white snow caps (at 10,000 feet to 14,000 feet +/-) the 5000 to 7000 feet high Cascades.

Tired of the rain? Drive to the East side of the Cascades and relish the high desert (</= 10 inches per year); thereafter, take a "mental" trip when rain seems to be causing you "mental" problems.

If rural/rustic isn't for you return to the suggestions of the earlier posts.

Remember:
Great music scene (jazz, rock, folk) with both local and global groups/indies making there way there; many are small venue if no where else (BIG treat!).
Great food; great beer;
Gorge sailing; biking; skiing (XC and downhill) and snow boarding; kayaking; running including Portland Marathon and Rose Festival Run and annual Hood-to-Coast Relay; the historic Gorge highway + waterfalls; the Columba River Dams; fish ladders; sturgeon reserves; Crown Point overview of the Western end of the Gorge;
Coast year-round;
Crater lake (unbelievable!);
Oregon Sand Dunes (the Outer Banks can only wish);
THE urban development/city planning capital of the U.S. with great transportation +!
Just try and follow your heart wherever it takes you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: