myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
viento
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: viento Reply with quote

can some Gorge expert tell me the best wind conditions to sail Viento.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's windy!!!!
But seriously - it's usually blowing at Viento if its blowing at Swell/Hatch. Often this is the windiest portion of the river and it can be blowing there when everything else is dead.

It can also be fun to do a mini-blowout downwinder from Viento to the Event Site - experienced sailors only.

Not that many folks sail Viento these days - mostly people who are camping at the state park there.
bobg
sissybar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is too bad that iwindsurf can not put more sensors on the river like at viento perhaps.

Viento is often the only sailable spot in the morning but you could never "know before you go" unless someone called you from the water. I have seen many days this season where there is little wind at Swell and plenty at Viento.

Please use up some of that wind.
ecornell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Viento Voodoo Reply with quote

Wind direction should be W or WSW to sail Viento. Your reach should be perpendicular to the water. If the wind has a northerly component, it tumbles off the mountain, resulting in the Viento Voodoo. You'll feel that in your face as you walk down the path to the launch.
LAWLER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: WIND IN YER FACE Reply with quote

I also will recomend that if you walk down the trail on the east side of the Beach restroom that if you feel wind in your face before the trail makes a slight turn toward the water... to Run away to the next sailing spot. But I must also say that this particular wind direction has at times {very few} given me a very good sailing session. It all depends on how filled in it is. Look at the water, is it glassy in places and wind swept in others? If so run... if not, it's probably good...at least until 11:00 or so.
And If it's good in the morning it's usually going to last untill 11:00 before going {viento crazy} though I have seen it last all day.

Good luck & good sailing!
ps to all that don't know.... watch out for the stump and rocks around the post.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viento sensor .....

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_table_mesowest.cgi?stn=UP073

[Moderator's Note: Same sensor is available on iWindsurf:]
VIENTO (officially the "Meno, OR" sensor):
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2236&location_id=13539
LAWLER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: HEY ANDYMC Reply with quote

nice work... I was wondering if that sensor at viento had output anymore or not...It's located up at the telephone booth I'd say 200 yards from the beach.
mik377

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a magical spot that picks up wind on those flukey westerly days when the wind doesnt fill in at Swell, Hatch, or Event. I've seen it happen several times in the past couple of weeks.
Andy gets my vote for the most useful post of the month.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sail Viento a lot when I was learning and wanted to avoid the crowds. Also I always had my annoying dog with me who would bark and I could find some isolated beach at Viento and let her bark her head off. I used to take my annoying dog to the Event site but nobody likes a barking dog. She was pretty good about recognizing my sail though - she would only bark when I was coming back and she could see my sail. The closer I got, the louder she barked. I don't sail Viento any more, partly because I got better and I figured out it is not really very good there, but also my annoying dog died. Anyway, that is my story of Viento and my annoying dog.
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viento is key and it's on iWindsurf beta.

VIENTO (officially the "Meno, OR" sensor):
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2236&location_id=13539

Stevenson-The Dalles region:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2236&is_beta=true

iW Viento.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.35 KB
 Viewed:  20412 Time(s)

iW Viento.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: