myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
viento
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long has the "Memo" sensor been online? I was up at Viento for 3 weeks in July and although since I was there most of the time I knew when the wind was blowing, at times I would be away from camp and it would have been nice to know the camp was blowing.

Where is the sensor located?

I've had some of my best sessions at Viento, I've also had some real bad ones. Like others have said, if when walking down the path towards the water, when the path turns if the wind hits you in the face turn around. There is ONLY one exception to this rule. If it's REAL hot, and there is no wind in the gorge and it's blowing at Viento, then it might be worth getting wet.

Normally Viento blows best in the morning during normal wind days, or on no wind days, it tends to blow in the afternoon (and can blow all day long with pretty decent consistency). Normally evening sessions there are not reliable. That being said, I had two of my best sessions (solid wind, powered, etc) at Viento at 5pm this last summer and the wind direction was less than perfect (we call the bad direction, the "Evil North Wind", so this was more like "The Evil North Wind's Brother")...
pixit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed a solid 4.7 at Viento late afternoon on my last day of my Gorge vacation last July 28. The wind was light almost everywhere else so I spend the time at Hood River with my family. I saw a few sailors on my way back to the campsite at around 5:30 pm. I was in the water around 6:00 till almost sundown all by myself. A great time to wrap up my visit at the Gorge.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find out where any sensor is located, just go to the region in question on iWindsurf Beta:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2236&is_beta=true

Then click "Dynamic Map" (link just below the map) and then switch to "Map" or "Hybrid" view...then "+++" to zoom in!

Viento-Meno.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.71 KB
 Viewed:  11474 Time(s)

Viento-Meno.png

johnl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geohaye,

But what does Meno stand for? Why not use the name of the place? And from your picture, it looks like the sensor is on the navigation tower located just off the beach. So it's probably measuring thewind a good 15 - 20 feet above the water...
m.shred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: MY Wind Reply with quote

Anybody figure out how to add it to myIW? [/b]
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Meno" is the name given to the sensor by the sensor owners. This is not an iWindsurf sensor. "meno" might be a historical name for the area(?)

As far as adding it to your myiW page, I believe the WeatherFlow/iWindsurf programmers are working on making sites like that one add-able to myiW, but it's not functional yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: