myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Defecting Kiters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Kiter=Snake Reply with quote

jkayes wrote:
I agree with Epinrose except with respect to one issue. This past Saturday at Waddell there was one kiter in particular that twice jibed onto my wave. No question about it, I was already in the pocket of a breaking wave and the kiter came from the beach and jibed into the wave. Forgivable once, but twice...

Makes me want to carry darts.

That being said, there are some kiters at WC that really do rip and they're a pleasure to watch. Some can even depower their kites for a turn or two. I wouldn't give up windsurfing for it, though.

Those danglers are a bunch of snakes. Your average kiter gets 10 waves for every windsurfer's one. Everyone is aware of this math, however, the kiters continue to be a bunch of wave hogs. If they would exercise common courtesy and not snake every wave, it wouldn't be such a problem. Not to mention that they consume an inordinate amount of space at the launch and on the water.

Windsurfing is much closer to surfing than kiting. As this poster indicates, most kiters don't even de-power their kites when going down the line. In windsurfing, it's much easier to do this and work the waves.
derekd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: wave riding Reply with quote

the only kiter worth watching at waddell is Josh Loya....there are a few other super red hot surfers that kite at waddell that are also good...they don't even use footstraps on their boards
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I met one who seemed to have had his bell rung one too many times. And a couple with missing fingers...oh, I thought you said defective kiters. Laughing
chibichibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Defecting Kiters Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
While hanging with the usual suspects down at our condom strewn, dusty, parking lot, I was sharing my recent suspicions that windsurfing is going to become cool with the younger set again. As soon as I had finished my comments, a strapping young man appeared asking about the wind. He said he was a kiter of about 6 years, and was becoming bored with it and wanted to get into sailing. Is this a trend, or is it we are just so behind the times here in Berkeley that its gone unnoticed ? Its mostly just a bunch of old fucks sailing here these days. Comments class?

hey windoggie - your geezer gang of windurfing pirates is a forced to be reckoned with. i see you and your Grim Reacher crew at Pt. Izzy and Berkeley all the time during normal, windy, weekday business hours. The thing is, you all don't look THAT old for retirement purposes, do you all ever work anymore? Shocked
chibichibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Defecting Kiters Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
While hanging with the usual suspects down at our condom strewn, dusty, parking lot, I was sharing my recent suspicions that windsurfing is going to become cool with the younger set again. As soon as I had finished my comments, a strapping young man appeared asking about the wind. He said he was a kiter of about 6 years, and was becoming bored with it and wanted to get into sailing. Is this a trend, or is it we are just so behind the times here in Berkeley that its gone unnoticed ? Its mostly just a bunch of old fucks sailing here these days. Comments class?

hey windoggie - your geezer gang of windurfing pirates is a force to be reckoned with. i see you and your Grim Reacher crew at Pt. Izzy and Berkeley all the time during normal, windy, weekday business hours. The thing is, you all don't look THAT old, do you all ever work anymore? Shocked
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Defecting Kiters Reply with quote

chibichibi wrote:
i see you and your Grim Reacher crew at Pt. Izzy and Berkeley all the time during normal, windy, weekday business hours.

Don't tell my wife, ok?

beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also my opinion that Kiting has at least peaked in CA/MAUI/NV. Def less at 3rd/ virtually none now at coyote, week days are much less at Waddell (none at Scott's weekdays). Even Washoe, which is ideal for Kites, has peaked out and is declining a bit now. Haven't seen a lot of them moving to windsurfing yet.
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sailing at third this weekend. It seemed there were more kites this weekend than I had ever seen in the past.
Anyhow, it seems that kiteboarding comes into its own in the waves. As Epenrose points out, windsurfing is hard and expensive in the waves, and kiteboarding seems like a lower barrier to entry into the NorCal wave scene.
I have just bought tricktionary 2 and got into light wind trick sailing, and man, windsurfing is just fun all over again, even after doing it for 20 years. I am not sure kiteing would keep my interest that long outside of waves.
zlowman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Defecting Kiters Reply with quote

Come to the Hookipa/Lanes in the winter....when its 15 to 20+ and blowing 25+....and see who is out there.....windsurfers.......ripping....Maybe Pete C or Elliot L at Lanes on kites.....they can rip

AHHHH I CANT WAIT FOR WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmnAcgOgBs&feature=related

Kites don't work riding waves. If you watch the kite clip the rider manages to kiss the lip but can't stay in the "section" for crap, and that is what wave riding is about, wave sailing or surfing, the whole point.

Watch the Prichard's at PSC and they are constantly in the section on the wave, something you just don't see with kites as they just get yanked off the wave.

If I primarily sailed the bay or a low ind area I'd probably kite, but here in Norcal, we are just damn spoiled.

Get your wave gear and hit the coast.

Last edited by Epenrose on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: