myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Remember the good old days?/ Do you give a damn?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darcystevenson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the old geezers themselves. Rolling Thunder with 6 boards towed behind (non of which they sail because there is never enough wind) and being condescending to anyone trying to get going as a beginner.

Oh so cool? To a young-in? No way.

Maybe when the isobars generation finally dies off there can be a new wave of people sailing with one mid-size board, and one twisted sail, and working on their cool moves. They still won't have gasoline, but they can try to make the lifestyle. Although it would be better if we didn't have to wait for the isobars generation to die off...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
You should try the ocean, Mike, given your taste for swell. A 6.2 in head-high conditions is plenty of fun.

I think the key is to not be a snob, period.

Bin dere, dun dat, at many places. Unfortunately, none of them is near enough for ready or frequent access nor as reliable as waiting until the Columbia is blowing and hitting the water locally. 5-8 hours each way for a day or two of questionable sailing on the OR coast is not rational, IMO.

Snobbery, in this case, = choices, and I'm all for choices.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darcystevenson wrote:
it would be better if we didn't have to wait for the isobars generation to die off...

So sorry that we who helped WSing onto the map are still clogging up your swell. Give us another couple of decades and we'll be out of your way (or sitting in our RVs 18/7 at the Hatch).

But has it occurred to you that by then YOU'LL BE A GEEZER?

Mike
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
I remember sitting on the beach when there wasn't spit for wind during some of those events.

Say, Brucie, no need to sit on the beach. Graemef offered to lend you his sail:

Sinbad wrote:
That's an interesting sail you have there. I don't see any mini-battens to prevent flutter. The head does not look modern. Could you identify it, please?

"That's because it is a light racing sail sinbad, mini battens are marketing affectations that do nothing but add expense & weight, a sort of moron tax, I can see why you'd want them.

"The sail cloth alone cost over $800 it measures 9.5, it would blow you over, you couldn't hold onto it, even with the vast blubber contained in that clinically obese mid section that obliterates your useful bit. Those scrawny little pudgy arms would stretch, you would cry for your mummy and even though it only weighs 3.8 kilos (8-9lbs) would give you an absolute hernia followed by a heart attack. Hmm come to think of it would you like to borrow it for a while?"

(Quote from here: http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22400&KW=JoeMur&PN=0&TPN=3)
Barnett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: my two cents from the landlocked Connecticut River Valley Reply with quote

Perhaps a free publication- a few pages are plenty-by an active boardsailing association (eg W Dennis/Kalmus)- that can be placed in all those "freebie" piles in cafes, etc. around the cape and maybe even in Boston/Cambridge (for New England sailors)? They are not hard to do on a home computer these days and could drum up some interest - possibly could even be sponsored/financed by gear shops. Would require a commitment by somebody who sails regularly enough and is willing to put it together.....

Come to think of it, why do we have all separate tiny boardsailing associations but nothing central (e.g. "New England Boardsailing Association"- maybe it exists but , if so, I am unaware), instead of a few guys at Kalmus independently doing their thing, a few at W Dennis independently doing their thing, etc.....) Combining into larger groups may provide the impetus and resources to put together events, publications, etc.

(I focus on the cape because it is the region I know best- could do the same in mid-Atlantic...Hatteras I think already has something like that....maybe could all combine into a "Northeast Boardsailing Association" and work together)....

I live 3 hr from Cape Cod and thus do not sail nearly as much as I would like, but I remember prior regular events on the cape that would attract the likes of Robby Naish, bring at least hundreds if not more down to Kalmus and were tons of fun for sailors and non-sailors alike- I would even drag my landlubber buddies in Northampton all the way to Hyannis for these things and they would often leave with a big smile and the ganas to learn....
Barnett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Followup of above post Reply with quote

And another thing- kitesurfers and windsurfers should be buddies and work together on this stuff as much as possible. Yeah, we have issues, but mostly we are similar folks with similar objectives. Power in numbers. Divide and be conquered.
toodave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: elephant in the bedroom Reply with quote

Interesting that almost no one is talking about the effect of kites on all this. I've been windsurfing for 25+ years, but my sweetheart is a kiter so I've been spending more time with that community. In many ways it resembles the w/s community of the 80's... stoked, young, having way too much fun on and off the water... except for a big difference... they really need eachother's help all the time to launch and land, and because of the legendary hazards of having a kitemare on the water, they tend to REALLY look out for eachother. AND with 3 kites and one board she's happily sailing in conditions I need 7 sails (3.7-8.4) and 3 boards to cover. I think it's safe to say that's what's sucking alot of the life from our windsurfing world. Personally I think we're all the same thing and there's alot to be gained from joining forces instead of this incredibly idiotic rivalry that seems to happen. So.... learn how to launch and land a kite so you can help them out ... and see what happens.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: