myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any fresh weed reports from San Luis/Oniel forebay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Any fresh weed reports from San Luis/Oniel forebay? Reply with quote

Any fresh weed reports from San Luis/Oniel forebay?
hochuli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out there this last weekend. Got there Friday, left Monday.

The weeds are pretty awful, it is that stringy stuff that really catches. I started with my large board and a 40cm Curtis weed fin. This didn't cut it as the fin was too deep.

I moved down a board and this one had a 12.5 True Ames weed fin on it. This mostly worked. The weeds still win perodically but we had a great weekend of sailing. My two sailing partners both had longish fins and had a tougher time.

There is clear water by the island for turning on the outside but the inside turn is in the weeds. Strong motivation to make your turns.

The first thing that I did Friday was to start cutting a channel through the worst of the weeds. This was pretty successful.

The water level was 220 or better the whole weekend so this was not a problem.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: So I take it there are solid green patches in the center? Reply with quote

So I take it there are solid green patches in the center, Which are to hard to cut through. It looks like you were sailing from the South Side in the channel next to the power lines. Was the water high enough at any point through the weekend to make the solid patches disappear?
hochuli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting through the solid green stuff can be anywhere from challenging to impossible, none of it was that bad. The channel that I cut was through some of the solid green stuff.

The patches never really disappeared but they got a lot smaller.

I was sailing from the normal Medeiros side (where you see the motor homes) not the power lines. I did sail out to that channel and it was pretty clear.

There were two guys sailing the Santa Cruz side who didn't seem to be slowed by the weeds.

All said, we had a heck of a good time. We had to make some adjustments to cope with the weeds but sailing the cut channels is a kick.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Called the Forebay today about the parasite Reply with quote

I called Oneil Forebay about the swimmers parasite. Its along the Boating Part of the Lake on the South side where the campers are and the water is somewhat stagnant. Also I asked about weeds and the ranger said it was being cut as they did last year.
hochuli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually only cut the weeds in the main channel. Kind of fun to watch but not a lot of help for windsurfers..
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: What is the main channel? Reply with quote

Do you mean from the bridge over the highway to through the center?
hochuli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. The channel runs from the bridge to the pass between the Santa Cruz side and the first (northernmost) island. It is the area where the water is normally the coldest, not so much now though. You can actually feel the temperature drop when you sail over it, not to mention falling in there.

Regarding the parasite, we had several conversations with rangers and park staff and they tell us that it is only a problem on the hottest days (105+) and along the medeiros shore. I have sailed a lot since the warnings went up and no itching.

I drove by about 2 hours ago and the water is way high (223) and you can't see the weeds.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: If there was only wind Reply with quote

If there was only wind
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring will be upon us before we know it. The forebay has always been a spring and early summer spot. Right? I love sailing and camping there. I've been going there since I started sailing, but It seems like a once or twice a season deal these days. That place used to pack up on weekends...not so much these days. If they let kiters in there it would be packed. You cant beat that fresh cool water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: