myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Talk Story
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Let's Talk Story Reply with quote

In Hawaii, when the brothers and sisters get together and just talk of their experiences, they call it "talking story." After all the BS going down at Leo of late, hopefully in our past at this time, I think we need to get a thread going where we can just kick back, with a smoke or an adult beverage, and talk story. What brought this to mind was an experience I had today sailing with my Cabrillo buds. As I was sailing , I witnessed a young dolphin, maybe minutes old, getting a swimming lesson from it's mother. Just another day of windsurfing capped off by the miracle of witnessing, firsthand, such an amazing sight! When I add this to my list of unique experiences. I E sailing within mere feet of a breaching whale, getting hit in the face by flying fish, having a seaturtle steal my favorite fin in Maui, sailing conditions at Leo when the swells outside are twenty feet plus, etc, it makes you pause and realize just how incredibly fortunate you are to be involved in such an activity. What is the standard reaction when you tell your non-W/S friends about such experiences, a blank stare, oh yeah, that's nice, 'cause they have no perception of what it's all about. So here we go bros and sisters of the wind, the" .001 Percenters," let's talk story and hear of some of your favorite memories or our sport... let her rip!!! Aloha Bull
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! I'm so tired of all the negativity and political BS on these forums. This is windsurfing not a political or legal forum! How fortunate we are to experience the freedom and experiences windsurfing brings us.

I was thinking about this a little today as I was slightly disappointed that work got in the way of getting out on the water today when we still have an out of season north swell running. But then I have to take a step back and think about how good I've got it. The next time I get on the water, it will mark 100 days of sailing for me this year. How cool is that!

As far as experiences go.... it can run the gamut from the pure thrill of a down the line ride on a smooth glassy wave face to, as you said, experiencing the wonders of the sea life out there.

I've almost become jaded at the number of sea turtles I see every time I sail. Less frequent, and thereby more special, are the experiences of sailing with humpback whales, breaching or slapping the water. Or, the adrenaline rush you feel when you see a fin sticking out of the water just in front of you, then you pass over it and realize that it was a wing tip of huge manta ray and that there's a flock of a half a dozen rays gliding underneath you. That is so cool! It almost makes me want to dive in and swim with them.

Great idea for a thread brah! Very Happy I can only hope that it generates even a small percentage of the responses that the recent Leo legal thread generated.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday had two encounters with nature. Here in the SF Bay the water's not clear enough to see what's below but you can see it when it bobs up for a look-see. Sailing along a stash of flat water speed strip I glance to my right as a seal head spy hops then quickly slips back below. They'er kind of cute in that Wilford Brimley sort of way.

Later screaming along through some swells near Point Isabel I'm headed towards a bird or seagull. As I get closer I realize it's a baby diving duck of some sort. It was sort of like a game of chicken. I wasn't aiming at it but they usually take flight 50 meters before you are on them. This guy must have been snoozing and I missed him by inches as I swerved at the last minute. You don't realize how fast things happen at 28 kts.

J

ps I looked back to see the little guy bob back up and ruffle his feathers...and that made me feel a lot better.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A squid jumped out in front of me too slow and landed on my harness bar. I didn't know that they could croak so loud. I called for my wife to look but she was too far behind. When I slowed down I put my hand on its back to keep it from sliding off and it blasted off with a jet stream of ink all over my rash guard. Didn't wash out for months.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick nature encounter stories from Maui; Never will forget a flying fish jumping exactly along side of me, about 5 feet away at exactly the same speed I was going so he just hung there for awhile next to me. Second is at the impact zone Uppers seeing a monk seal-took a break and told everyone on the beach I was so excited then went back out, it then popped up right directly ahead of me going on a full plane so I had no chance to do anything and Nailed it hard. No blood in the water but I felt terrible. Later I READ UP ON MONKS AND ONE OF THEIR DEFINING CHARACTERISTICS IS BEING COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS TO DANGER. Do you also find the caps lock gets in the way?
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: SET THE VIBE Reply with quote

To get in the proper acqoustical mood for this thread, may I recommend Googling KPOA 93.5, da kine local radio station in Maui... Bull
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPOA-Island sounds, Island wide. Great radio station-they play a lot of hawaiian reggae. The DJ/Host weekdays AM is the best. She has a strong accent and is very funny. One day she gave the following weather report for Maui; Few clouds, few breezes, lots of sunshine. That was it! No temps etc. About died laughing.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bull,

Pray tell. How did a sea-turtle steal your favorite fin in Maui?
jse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, sailing between Treasure Island and Angel Island, in winds that ramped from mid 20's near TI to 38 at Pt. Blunt (check the graph) things were pretty intense. I rigged for the TI side, choosing a 5.0. Coming back from Angel Island was a screaming broad reach. I'm sure you could see the intensity of that moment if you saw the expression on my face. I was going "scary-fast". Suddenly, a 4 foot sturgeon breaches completely out of the water about 20 feet to leeward. I swear he was feeling the same stoke I was. Then again, maybe that means he was in the cross-hairs of Mr. Sharky.

Steve
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find sturgeons very frightening in a skateboarding among parking meters sort of way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: