myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Talk Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimwilkins wrote:
I once got dared a few $$$s to fornicate with a sea anenomie. Never did it but I still love nature. I always enjoy the seal out a marker 12 at sherman. He barks at you like a dog.
While your doing what? What do you mean by "love nature"?
crashman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the fall it always blows decently a few days on Lake Tahoe. Those of us that live around here and sail it get many 6.0+ days on the Lake, which makes up for the lighter winds with clear water and beautiful scenery. However on these days the Lake is a different experience offering nice swell and in the right spot, breaking waves. Last fall I was lit on a 4.7 and my favorite wave board. The wind started to clock from the south to the west, and actually allowed for legit down-the-line sailing. My best wave let me milk 3 bottom-top combos even with a little air on the last one. Perfect waste/shoulder waves. Let's go with nipple-high. We joke about how the spot we sail needs a low tide (lean water year) and a south swell. After a bit the wind died, and it got waay colder and started to flurry. Shlogged in and grabbed my longboard out of the car and paddled out for mushy crumbly rides-in the snow!! Only needed the 4/3 though as it was Sept. Funniest part of surfing on Lake Tahoe is how you still pick up your feet when waiting for waves to keep 'em from getting nibbled on. Well I guess a Mackinaw could do a little nibblin'.

Spoiled rotten, by the way... Miss the coast, but the mountains are a-ok too!
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeUzi wrote:
Hey Bull! Thanks again for letting me go for that test run on your gear. I think the best way to improve is by riding all kinds of gear, in all conditions (even when the breeze is painfully light). Also, my windsurf sessions are a bit limited lately since I have a new job and baby keeping me busy. So that was a great way to make the most of another weak day at Leo.
Cheers!
Mike
Another convert won over by the "mighty-mini" Naish Hybrid... a sweet ride!!! Bull
clifford

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noa130 wrote:
i haven't found anyone who can appreciate the miracle of that moment, let alone the first time i found myself surrounded by bottlenose dolphins (which are way bigger than i ever thought and kind of scary in their size with those razor sharp teeth behind that sweet smile) thanks for starting the thread.

You mean anyone but another wind-surfer or surfer or kayaker, right?

Those moments stay with you forever, there's nothing like them. And you get to be windsurfing at the same time--how much better could it get? Wink
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanding on the cliff one fine April morning in San Carlos, watching whales on the horizon, Pelicans surfing the wind being pushed by a wave, trying to determine whether it was more important to go surf or start breakfast when a dolphin makes its own decision and starts to surf the wave down at the Chili bowl...waay cool. Don't know if I ever got in the water that day, but I was stoked to see the dolphin do its thing.

My other strange nature story happened at San Luis Reservoir one nice spring evening...sailing-shlogging along, light wind, birds going nuts around me on an insect-fest, when I noted a periscope. Small periscope, about 4 inches. Got closer, and I kid you not, even though I was a good 400 yards from shore, it was a frickin' snake swimming along, cool as a cucumber.

I never knew snakes could swim. Or would be interested in a joust a quarter mile from land....
stilladdicted

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea and great stories....

Ah, another whale tale....

I was a fairly novice sailer, and a brand new wave sailer, so what do I do? Head down for a solo trip to punta san carlos. I'm down there and see a grey whale out in the distance. Cool. So I launch and make it out past the waves, do a couple of there and backs, Linked recoveries, you know.

It was blowing 25 knots, the water was a washing machine, then all of a sudden I go through a 30' circle of absolutely flat water...I look back at it and 10' behind me a whale breeches the surface. One of those things I'll never forget.

Oyster point - Between Jets and Pelican's you can almost count on something being over your shoulder, pretty cool experience.

Mike
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noa130 wrote:
yes clifford...true correction. my non water sport friends just give me that "oh how nice" smile and then go off and talk about some mundane malarky and i feel totally out of place. so then i go trotting off to find more cool stuff that separates me from the "real world"

how cool that there are so many of you out there who live in the "not so real world" with me. i am proud to be associated with those "outside the real world." can someone explain what that means? the real world? and why we are supposedly not part of it? OTOH, maybe it's better that i don't get it.

[b]If I may, partial lyrics to a John Mayer song, "No Such Thing";

"Welcome to the real world"
she said to me condescendingly
"Take a seat, take your life
plot it out in black and white"
Well I never lived the dreams of the prom kings
and the drama queens
I'd like to think the best of me
is still hiding up my sleeve

They love to tell you "stay inside the lines"
but something's better on the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out there's no such thing as the real world
just a lie you've got to rise above

So the good boys and girls take the so-called right track
faded white hats grabbing the credits and making transfers
they read all the books but they can't find the answers
and all of our parents, they're getting older
I wonder if they've wished for anything better
while in their memories, tiny tragedies

they love to tell you "stay inside the lines"
but something's better on the other side

Yes, and it's called Windsurfing!

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen seals several times at Rio Vista, this summer one surfaced closeby and did a look see, I yelled out " Hey what are you doin' here ?" He went under then followed for a long time, making long graceful arcs alongside........
BUT this year in Maine, Meddybemps Lake, I pointed towards a loon pair
, normally they fly off when say 50 yards off, this pair didn't, but proceeded slowly, getting close enough I saw the Mom had a chick on her back. Next day I saw them again and they were teaching the baby to dive. Same lake watching a Osprey dive from the sky like a F18 and swoop down on a bass, dinner for the whole family.

Nice thread !! Mr. Green

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

Always wanted to sail with dolphins, you know, cruise with them, not just watch them go by....

So then I'm in Baja, in a race at La Ventana, in second place trying hard for first and, you guessed it, a huge pod of dolpins crossed my path, seemed like a hundred of them just kept coming and coming. All I needed to do was round up and I could have been in the middle of the pod for miles, I would have followed them forever and....well it couldn't possibly have been as good as I imagine when I wonder if I should have finished the race.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (Sept. 25) -- A battery charge has been dropped against a West Virginia man who had been accused of passing gas and fanning it toward a South Charleston patrolman.
The Kanawha County prosecutor's office requested that the charge be dropped against 34-year-old Jose Cruz of Clarksburg. Mary Frampton, an assistant to Magistrate Jack Pauley, said Thursday the magistrate signed a motion to dismiss the charge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: