myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Opening: Hood River Waterfront Park & Launch Saturday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Opening: Hood River Waterfront Park & Launch Saturday Reply with quote

The grand opening of the Hood River Waterfront Park is this Saturday, August 23, from 4-7PM. There will be live music, fun and games for children and hot dogs and beverages for sale.

Best of all is the new windsurfing launch site with a beam reach to the swells near the White Salmon Bridge. This will allow visitors easy access to the swell without hassle of the Hatchery parking and rugged launch. Grassy rigging area and bathrooms coming soon. The gravel launch area is shown at the top right of the included map.

For details see:
http://www.hoodriverwaterfront.com/

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

waterfrontPark2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.2 KB
 Viewed:  24387 Time(s)

waterfrontPark2.jpg

rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Hood River! I am sure somebody will have something negative to say since this is the Iwindsurf Forum but it looked pretty sweet when I was up there a few weeks ago.
elkegeiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Hood River Waterfront Park Reply with quote

Not only does the launch get you right to the bridge, but it's also very family friendly. The swim beach is completely separate from the launch area, so no more tangling with the kiddies (like at the Event Site) when you come back to shore.
in2surfn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Park beauty Reply with quote

What a great addition to the waterfront for families and sailors.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: New park, rig, and launch! Reply with quote

I think it's about time! I can't wait for some ground cover or grass to be planted (this Fall?). The sand blasting a couple days ago was harsh on the face.

I think a juice bar and snack station would be a nice addition. I know it would smell like "pork", but it would be great to have one created by the Hood River County fruit growers association.
gorgeview

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Hood River Waterfront Park Reply with quote

Glad to hear folks are enjoying the park! Grass will be great and it will get planted after the irrigation goes in next month. We are currently raising money to build bathrooms so if you can support the cause please do.....at www.hoodriverwaterfront.com
Please join us at the opening Saturday.
Ann Smile [url][/url]
stevenieve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can people post some views of this launch. I heard it was intermediate/advanced, but I know there are dicrepancies depending of if it is someone who only sails at that place. I am just finding my way round.

ciao
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an incredible effort on the part of local government entities and representatives along with many volunteers from those who were born here to many recent new residents

thanks to all!
arthurb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested here's a picture of the launch. As Stevenieve noted it's intermediate/ advanced, for two reasons: there's no place to hang out in the water without blocking access, and you need to be able to navigate back to the ramp without walking (the water's too deep and rocky). A great place to "rig up and go", but not a good place to learn waterstarts. Wind conditions are similar to the Event Site.

DSC_1001.jpg
 Description:
New Launch at Hood River Waterfront Park
 Filesize:  61.49 KB
 Viewed:  23918 Time(s)

DSC_1001.jpg

Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was already open. The design and location are excellent. It will surely take some pressure off the event site.

What swells by the White Salmon Bridge??? There's no wave sailing there. Its just a kitemare waiting to happen. Stay Away!!

Rip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: