myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jansel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Fin Advice Reply with quote

I weigh 195 and usually sail a 98L JP FSW board with 6M sail at Pt Isabel, Berkeley and Sherman. Winds are typically 12-22 and higher on good days. Would appreciate some advice on fin shape and size, pros and cons of going with a longer fin for upwind against the tide vs a shorter, wave fin. What length/type would you choose for everyday, and why ? Thanks
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin size really depends on how you like to sail, as your sizing can use 20cm wave style (for slashing) fins up to 24, the biggest they make.
Then bump fins start around 25, but you might start with about 29 or so.
Slalom type fins, with your track all the way forwards, usually 34 to 38, once again depending if you stomp the rear foot or you tend to feather.
Since you didn't state your footstrap placement, to hint your style, we can only give a general guideline, not anything specific.
And of course, thin fins, or higher aspect, tend to ride small, so you need longer than lower aspect or thicker foils.
More info on YOU maybe........
billgfc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

There are various options as noted. You can also change fins to larger smaller, more or less sweep depending on whether you have flood or ebb tide.

In any case, I am in the industry and can advise and simplify for your need

Bill

bill@gsport.com
www.gsport.com
jansel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Fin Advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, I use a center rear strap and have the front straps toward the center of the board. Style, mostly back and forth, I like to go as fast as possible but also like to sail in control. Not much jumping or slashing.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me, for go fast, back straps outboard as with front straps, but since you go center and in, I'd suspect you are still learning to ride that sized board.....
So, wave fin for ebb tide and good, smooth jibing, usually around 23-25cm, lots of area, thicker good for earliest planing....but speeds not great because they like to point downwind, and you might need to sail lots of upwind.
Bump &Jump fins around 28-32 cms, a good all around choice, does everything OK, nothing great except it does everything OK.
Slalom type fins, blades or pointers, usually around 34-38 (the tail width, OFO), for the earliest planing and mostly the highest speeds close reaching and slight upwind. Jibe the bounciest, but speed and upwind can be good things to have also.
Go bigger if you're a masher who doesn't sail with finesse, especially if you're still learning to ride a 93 sized board.
Go smaller if you have decent finesse and can appreciate lower drag vs pure power.
For go fast, big guys who mash tend to need lotsa fin, while the same sized finesse rider might choose only a 32cm blade slalom fin.
One of the best, low drag top speed fins on the market is Bill's SR-6b's, and you'd go probably the longest since your tail is 38, go 38.
He can advise to specific sizing on his bump and wave fins, but you'd have to mention your style (masher no finesse, or finesse, low power) styles.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tangent because no one has yet denied the story I got from a prominent Gorge shop: Are Curtis fins really no longer available?

Mike \m/
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I appreciate you speaking up! You had erroneous information!

We had no production from late spring until earlier this month due to a last minute buyout of all fin production at the facility by a major kite producer through early fall. Our alternate was moving to a better facility and is now up.

In any case we are are up and running with lots of fins in production. We were in the midst of a major growth spurt when unforeseeable capacity issues emerged.

We are offering some nice value on refurbished and demo product. We have good fins coming in Sept.

Bill Kline
Gorge Sport USA
www.gsport.com
bill@gsport.com
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for curing my withdrawal symptoms.

Mike \m/
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
A tangent because no one has yet denied the story I got from a prominent Gorge shop: Are Curtis fins really no longer available?

Mike \m/

Curtis fins have not been available since the end of 2005 when Curtis ceased the licensing agreement he had with a US fin reseller. Since that time Curtis has been hand crafting fins for the surfboard industry, including big wave and tow in fins for Laird Hamilton, and pioneering board and fin building operations both in the USA and Asia.

Big Winds will have a new range of Curtis fins available in the next few weeks, they are US made by Curtis and use the superior US built G10 epoxy.

Hand crafted race and speed fins will also become available direct from Curtis once R&D is completed over the next few months.
stevenieve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do freestyles cut off fin into stump and still outsail everyone. This doesn't sound so good a foil shape, or like it matters so much to most. We would like to know the physics, not the where to buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: