myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Recycling Old Sails ??!@$%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
=JeffH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Recycling Old Sails ??!@$% Reply with quote

Is there anyone here in the SF Bay Area that will accept old windsurfing sails and do something ecologically responsible with them? I'd rather not give _really old_ stuff to beginners because it can be tough to use and thus possibly contribute to discouragement with a sport that's already tough to learn.

I have some sails from late '80s / early '90s that are pretty hammered that I'd just like to make go away in an ecologically friendly manner.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

=JeffH
kaiwahine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an excellent idea, just did a quick google on recycling sails and didn't come up with anything. what about posting on craigs list to see if there are any artist/crafty types who might be able to repurpose them for something?

awesome that you're trying to keep them out of the landfills! please post if you find a good resource for recycling.
SC2001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out http://www.kitecycle.org - One of the girl kiters in Santa Cruz came up with the idea, and although right now she is predominantly taking used kites, I know she is accepting paragliding canopies and big boat sails, so I am sure she is also accepting windsurfing sails. Right now she has one product nailed down, but I know she is developing other reuse/recycled product ideas.

Regards,
Brendan
tomg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tough to find another use for them. I tried using them around the yard as drop cloths, awnings, etc. Too much curve; too fragile. At least those old bed-sheet sails from the 70s were cloth. Anything newer is basically a big plastic bag - and we all know recyclable those are!

Tom G.
galateo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: recycle sails Reply with quote

you should wait for the burning man event,
people are always looking for this type of items on craigslist.

also not sure if this is official,
but at the Berkeley marina next to the CAL sailing club, people drop off old gear they don't want, like a windsurf graveyard! it's kind of a good idea.
=JeffH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for all the great replies -- especially the link to kitecycle.org. Note also http://www.algalita.org (worth knowing about).

I've dropped kitecycle.org an inquiry note.

=JeffH
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank =JeffH for taking his old crappy gear out of the loop. He's doing a great service to the windsurfing world by not selling it to some poor unsuspecting passerby to learn on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: