myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Whitey at Stinson again, it's the time of year for the warde
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Whitey at Stinson again, it's the time of year for the warde Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/25/BA2812HVSB.DTL

I was surfing Bolinas a week ago yesterday at the patch and whitey took a seal 150 feet from where I was surfing. Attack went on for 10 mins, whitey breached 6 - 7 times, seagulls fighting with whitey for scraps. Amount of surfers in the water at the patch at the time of the attack - 10. Number who left after seeing whitey "0". Most common question in the water "do you think he's full?". It's their territory, I actually saw the seal about 5 mins before the attack.

Might be some kite-bait in the water.

A little side note, NPS doesn't really care if the sighting or attack is at Bolinas only Stinson. Distance between the two, a good 75 - 100 feet. Lucky whitey knows the line!
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, dat time of the year again.
But Stinson ends on the E side of the inlet, and the Patch is W of the ramp, making the distance about 4 city blocks.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never feel good about paddling across the lagoon from Bolinas to Seadrift... although sometimes it has to be done Confused
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best spook spots....
Inlet at Drakes, surfing outside Tuba.
Goat Rock, just S of the rock on a DOH day with N breeze.
RussianRivermouth shorepound, any time of the year.
PescaderoPt, Gazos, Pigeon, and Pomp beaches.
Dat cattlegate hike in just S of Gazos. That one takes NUMBER ONE in my book (oh, outside reef right, in the kelp beds, no one around, ever).
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Lee, agreed.

Gazos - super munch zone. Tuba, wondered why those seals love to perform those flying jumps out of the wave.

Palo is another favorite.

Only other place I've seen whitey is Daves, he was cruising around the North break, luckily was windsurfing so went in, had a Negro Modelo and went back out.

As luck would have it was on a SUP went I saw the attack.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you were on SUP, as you can see really far and catch any tiny swell from far outside. A boogie board at the Patch is a recipe for disaster.
Palo....
I sailed it first time in '89, mostly at RoundRock from surfing days before then. Was part of the crew there in the early '90's for 10 years, then moved to EastBay flat water no wind land.
Don't think we ever saw a shark there, but having surfed (longboarded) DoublePoint, THAT place is spooky.
RCA seems fine, even with the mile walkin.
Hey, you're a NorthCoaster. Ever check out that left at ChimneyRock? You walk in till the land squeezes into a narrow isthmus, then walk 8' West and look down at a Deadman's looking left that is totally makeable and easy paddle out.......after descending the 500' cliff, of course Laughing
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee - correction boogie-bait.....

ChimneyRock? sparked my interest. How often have you surfed the spot? Am regular but at Ft.Point a lot, saves the gas and only hit the coast when really good. Have been taking the SUP out at Fort Point up to high tide and still having fun, switch to sb when a couple of foot overhead.

Patch is fun, especially on the outside, SUP great for that, pretty much given up log boarding. Had a fun session at Waddell two weeks ago with a decent south push, was on the SUP having fun riding and watching kites, WS's and short boards struggling!
south-west

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two... count 'em, two dead seals with bites out of them at Waddell yesterday. Both had their lower bodies mauled and one had no head. The one with his head still on, had a bite mark about 16 inches across his side.
We pushed both of them back into the shorebreak so they would drift down to the kiters on the south end of the beach.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eps...
I have not surfed that left. Usually with a girlfriend walking the hike, always got swell, always holds up. Of course, a Westerly wind is blow out, but NW goes right down the coast from PtReyes and actually dies just before there. Personally haven't seen it blown out ever.
You can googleearth it to find the spot.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eps...
I have not surfed that left. Usually with a girlfriend walking the hike, always got swell, always holds up. Of course, a Westerly wind is blow out, but NW goes right down the coast from PtReyes and actually dies just before there. Personally haven't seen it blown out ever.
You can googleearth it to find the spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: