myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing classes starting in Boston!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikovsg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing classes starting in Boston! Reply with quote

To ALL iWindsurf members!

Have you ever wished other people knew what windsurfing feels like? We are doing our part and beginning to revamp an old windsurfing program in the heart of Boston, right on the Charles. Myself and three others, as volunteers for Community Boating are rethinking their windsurfing program for next year, including schedule, certification, teaching method, equipment, rating system, etc. Steps are already in action – I'm teaching intermediate, advanced (somewhat) and beginner windsurfing classes at Community Boating in Boston every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:15pm. Three more staff members at CB are teaching beginner classes as well. We have a growing support from CB members who dig the revamped program. Classes are always full! If you are curious, we are looking for program and curriculum ideas and volunteers. During the last beginner class, we had two out of three people pick up their sails, sailing, tacking and even jibing during their first sailing outing. These are people that never windsurfed before. Something must be right! Come help out if you want to rekindle those good 70's days!

Summary of class levels: (please provide your comments)

Beginner – physics of sailing, water safety, rig parts, picking up sail, tacking, jibing, beginning efficiency

Intermediate – efficiency in sailing, better tacks and gibes, foot straps, harness, beginning waterstarting

Advanced – optimizing your board and sail, optimizing waterstarting, carve jibes, duck jibes, helicopters, beginning jumps, beginning waves

My goal is to grow this program to a fully recognized national branch for windsurfing training. This is one way to help bring windsurfing back to East Coast. Your ideas and support most welcome,

Gary (and Asya)

_MG_6775 1.jpg
 Description:
Freshwater windsurfing
 Filesize:  380.19 KB
 Viewed:  24737 Time(s)

_MG_6775 1.jpg

Juani222

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers to all the Charles River warriors!!! I learned there, one sunny and windless summer...

Keep up the great job guys Smile

Juan
alex177

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good idea. But why at Charles? Go to Pleasure Bay. More wind, more secure and more fun. The Summer rules are almost over, plenty of parking, a sandy shallow beach. Students can also watch other people sailing there. I bet the regulars would not mind helping with a free advice.
pikovsg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on Pleasure Bay. It would be nice to do it there, but there are a couple reasons why the Charles was chosen:

– Community Boating (CB) is easy to get to using the T. It's a short walk away.
– CB has existed for many years and has gotten thousands of people through its doors
– Many chances at fundraising with an established organization
– Existing (though somewhat frail) windsurfing program for the past few decades
icesailing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: sailing Reply with quote

me and my buddy drive down from nh to pleasure bay. wish you would would try once and awhile. its really flat water no currents. its the place to be.
Fiji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Windsurfing in the Boston area Reply with quote

I think your idea is great! Please be open to alt. sites. The Charles is OK.
Parking is difficult and the water quality is iffy at best!
Pleasure Bay, the lake in Wakefield and there is a huge lake in Sharon Ma.
dcollear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Learning to windsurf Reply with quote

It sounds like a great idea. I am looking for a way to meet others to windsurf and something like this sounds great. The Charles? CB is great for City dwellers but a very difficult for others... keep me posted.
ScuzzyBreeze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear it!

Some of us on the South Shore have been trying to gauge interest in some windsurfing events, possibly a few races or a fun series, but also beginners events. If you haven't seen it yet, the below post has been very encouraging. Perhaps your group would come down to the coast next year?

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15731

We will be having a meeting at some point this fall to discuss how to get things off the ground. This might happen at September Winds at Quannapowitt. Please make an appearance if it fits your schedule, and you could probably make good contacts as well as helping stir the pot.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf has installed wind sensors heavily in the heart of Boston. Some of these iW sensors may be useful for some of you guys (including racers) as well as the learn-to-windsurf program being discussed here.

iWindsurf Boston_Zoom:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1776&is_beta=true

Boston.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  588.12 KB
 Viewed:  24624 Time(s)

Boston.png

marblehead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Three Cheers Reply with quote

Great news that you have decided to breathe new life into a program at Community Boating. The whole CB thing is terrific if you live in the city. Saunter down from your apartment close by, step out on a ready rigged boat and have a great afternoon after work. Now people can do the same on a board for variety. I think the key is wetting the appetite of as many newcomers as possible. Once people start skipping across the water they are hooked. CB and the Charles makes it EASY and accessible. Glad to hear it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: