myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
switch from kiteboarding to windsurf
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thankytruongky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: switch from kiteboarding to windsurf Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been practicing kiteboarding for a while now. Without a doubt, it is a dangerous sport and I have experienced the accident one.
A kind gentleman who is windsurf asking me and my brother to try out windsurfing since it is so much safer and could provide as much fun as kiteboarding. And I am sure agree to it.
The problem is I don't know how to start, which equipment to buy, etc. Does anyone have any old usable equipment free or forsale with small amount of money so that I can start?
Thank you very much,
Nhan
dogalone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you located??
have not seen one windsurfer that has fully switched [can stay up wind] to kiting that has ever come back
stay safe/take care
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known several kiters who've switched from kiting to windsurfing for this reason and other reasons.

It's a free country. Very Happy

Start-Windsurfing.com is a great resource for beginners. The school you are looking for is probably on this list:
http://www.start-windsurfing.com/fr_school.htm

NOTE: Boardsports School in the SF Bay Area
and Crew First in the LA Area are not on this list, but are great schools.

Last edited by geohaye on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried kiteboarding in 1999, I had been windsurfing for over 16 years. I was pretty good.
Had to learn to kiteboard in order to SELL the stuff, so spent 77 days in the water kiting. Can spin singles front and back, ride from 140 wakestyle to anysized directionals, almost stay with windsurfers on a reach, kited windsurfing spots, and yes, stay upwind (that took 5 days).
In 2000, I went back to windsurfing and have kitesurfed 2 days since.
thankytruongky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Bay Area, Ca.
kevinsurfsskis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: learn to windsurf Reply with quote

Try Shoreline Lake in Mt. View at the end of Shoreline Blvd. Great place to learn. Get gear at Helm swap meets or craigslist or here on the classifieds
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your first few times, Shoreline can't be beat. Rent - don't buy. Take a lesson. Get proficient at tacking, uphauling, and jibing. Once you can reach, under power, to the point the rig is holding up your weight, its time to buy a transitional rig. Take some high wind lessons from Boardsports in Alameda, or Coyote and put in the time. By the end of the season, with luck and determination, you should be able to waterstart. By then, you'll want a smaller board. With three sails and two boards, you are covered 90% of the time.

LeeD, why the switch back? You would appear to be an exception. I never went to the dark side. Too chicken or too wise:) You be the Judge.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerritt...
I only tried kiteboarding because I was SELLING kiteboard gear as well as windsurf gear at BerkeleyBoardsports and then Kinetic.
Never a good saleman who doesn't actually DO the sport.
Staying upwind was easy after 5 days or so, and 6th day made every jibe on a 6' directional. Jumping consistently after 15 days, my buds at Alameda were GregBoyington (Loudmouth) and AnthonyChavez. They knew I'd be good after the first day, so they always hung around.
Took maybe 50 visits to Alameda to log 15 days, so I started kiting at Berkeley, MarinaBay, and Buchanan streets most of the summer and fall, with no returns to Alameda.
Besides a couple big lofts at MarinaBay, what got me out of kiting was a free Formula board, 9, 9.5, and 10 meter sails, and a bunch of new then '02 JimmyLewis carbon epoxy slalom boards. Took me a couple of years to wear that good stuff out.
robertmiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankytruongky wrote:
I am in Bay Area, Ca.

You should come and check out the Cal Sailing Club in Berkeley. Very cost effective at $60 for 3 months (all inclusive - lessons, boards etc.). check out our website (www.cal-sailing.org), the major limitation is that you have to use the gear in Berkeley. We have lessons every saturday morning at 10:30. Though, if you're already kiting, then the transition shouldn't take long, and you can just come out and start windsurfing.
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Cal Sailing in Berkeley. The only thing you need to invest in is a wetsuit. You will learn enough there in 3 months (for only $60) to be able to make a good choice on what gear you should buy. Then head to the swap meets, or online for some used gear. That's how I did it and I never looked back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: