myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Eventsite Green Grass, but no room to pass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the story. I love Geek Beach. I arrived at the beach to find I forgot my mast so I drove back to Vancouver WA, and grabbed my mast because i owed that to a friend. I rigged a 4.1 World sail and got my 166 liter HIFLY beginner board. I saw a Toursist with a camera pointed at the edge of the bar, and I looked and saw 2 young girls like 13 go out on a floating blue donut. I said hey you better get those girls "now" back here. So I grabbed my cell and called 911, and reported two young girls in the channel by then the donut blew out of their hands. I grabbed the Hifly and flew out there no harness and grabbed one gal. There was another sailor that had the other girl. I told her to hang on as huge winds and waves hit us. I saw the Sheriff going towards Bozo beach and I made sure he saw me way towards the Event. Those girls would have drowned, and I learned so much about life after that. All I can say at that time was I could barley hang on to the boom as I sailed back to Ghetto beach. The wind was strong.

Thank you,

Bret
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mik377

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I rigged a 4.1 World sail and got my 166 liter HIFLY beginner board"

I don't know but rigging that combination might jeopardize your Windsurfer of the year nomination.
mik377

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just kidding, if you weren't there they surely would have drowned. Two years ago me and another guy pulled 5 kids out of the ripcurrent off the sandbar. Wrote letters to the Port and local fishwrap to alert them to the dangerous situation but got no reply. I guess they didn't take it too seriously. Having a volunteer lifeguard with jetski might be a good idea for the tourist season.
Bret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this last year! The Eventsite is no longer a event site, and the launch at Jensen is crowded with 6 people launching.

The Event site will be sand! They moved the buoy out over the time, and we saw the barge grounded in sand. Does anyone know the future of the event site? Or does anyone care?

The parking is an issue at jensen. The event site has great parking! Just curious.
davehallyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wondering if any of the polititicians at the local or state level have applied for Federal stimulus money for reducing size of the sandbar and thus restoring the width/depth of the main channel?

If not the politicians, then it seems that the companies operating barges would be lobbying hard for it, given that running aground with 1 million gallons of gasoline could have been a gigantic environmental disaster and financial ruin for the company, Tidewater.
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the future of the Event Site - just last weekend in fact.

the future.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.85 KB
 Viewed:  12113 Time(s)

the future.jpg

Bret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet shot! Big problem it's called back packing and zero revenue, so I would speculate no parking signs along the road and no parking in the gravel lot across the street. Also most likely parking meters in front of Jensen and maybe an occasional ticket.
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet that the Port already receives more parking revenue from kiters than windsurfers. Sure there are plenty of kiters that hike in, but there are also plenty that pay for parking. The kite end of the parking lot is consistently more crowded than the windsurf end. Opening up that little strip of grass to kites this year has made them more money, and I would expect to see it twice as wide next year.

The meters and No Parking signs wouldn't surprise me either.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let it go fellas....

The E-site is destined to become a kite launch, and the pole dancers can move on up to the new park. It has stairs into the water and everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: