myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Klickitat River Sandabar Speedsailling/kiting Safety
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billgfc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Klickitat River Sandabar Speedsailling/kiting Safety Reply with quote

We have a potentially serious injury or worse situation on the Klickitat River Sandbar on the dozen or two days a year when it is an internationally known site for speedsailing. When the river level is low enough to expose the full sandbar, the water is smooth allowing for serious speed. The history goes back to when Mike Delahanty set the current 100 meter record of just over 50 mph.
(around 44 knots). Peak speeds yesterday were 38 to 42 knots, roughly 44mph plus. Most runs are in the range of 34 to 38 knots , with higher peaks.

The person riding to the sandbar and parallel to it has the right of way. Someone riding to the sandbar in front of an oncoming rider must yield.

Kiters are intersecting the bar at 75 to 90 degrees with backside facing oncoming sailors. Few are watching for those running the sandbar. Almost none look behind them when approaching the bar. Normally the overtaking vessel has to yield, but in this case because of the land barrier there is no way to go.

Yesterday we were speedsailing and had to call out to kiters to get them to look up and they yielded without incident. One came over to chat after and that helped.

Later in the day I was going down the course, which was wide open when I started. I was traveling around 40 mph when suddenly there was a kiter just upwind in front of me.I was only 20 ft from the sandbar. I called out, he jumped, fortunately was not blown into me. Had we intersected seconds earlier, he would have been t-boned in his back and head at 40mph. The results would have been catastrophic. Clearly he was not looking.

At the time it was a bit amusing since it happened so fast.. time stood still and we avoided collision without incident. It would have made a fantastic picture or video shot, because of its spontaneity.

This was a potentially deadly accident avoided.

It is critical that when speed sailing/kiting is going on to keep the sandbar area 25 yards or so completely clear to leeward except to leave or land on the bar.

All sailors and kiters need to know this. Please pass the word, We have had close calls. Think of it as stepping out into a lane of traffic in a 50 mph zone with your back turned or eyes closed.

Thanks to all for reading this .. pass the word.
Cory if you are reading this , come join us! We enjoyed you racing with us!
sissybar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiters are used to having that area all to themselves. I think it is presumptuous to think that they would change their ways when some fickle speed sailors show up every once in awhile.

It sounds like the burden is on the speed sailors to make it evident that they are a hazard vs. expecting the kiters to realize that there might be a hazard.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Kudos to Bill for making it evident... Reply with quote

windreport wrote:
Kiters are used to having that area all to themselves. I think it is presumptuous to think that they would change their ways when some fickle speed sailors show up every once in awhile.

It sounds like the burden is on the speed sailors to make it evident that they are a hazard vs. expecting the kiters to realize that there might be a hazard.

Fickle speed sailors have been showing up there for, oh, 30 or so years now. Over the decades, there have been over 1000x more windsurfers who have used that unique feature at the river's mouth for speed testing and equipment innovation. Some of these innovations may have even benefitted kiteboarding.

Philosophy lesson: Let's say I invent a really cool sport ("hoverplanking" with a carbon fiber hovercraft powered by solar panels?) that works really well near this spit due to flat water + wind. This sport is so addictive and accessible that hoverplankers arrive at the break of dawn and populate the spit before all other sports. Does this mean my really cool new sport trumps all other previous sports (including kiteboarding) and therefore that all other previous sports now have a duty to "make it evident that THEY are a hazzard"?

In case any kiteboarder does not know the following: Speedsailors go far faster than any kiteboarder ever will. Speedsailors cannot go out into the choppy river (because their gear will not handle it). Speedsailors are highly skilled yet change course rapidly at their own peril (those boards are not meant to turn!). Speedsailors' gear is far more massive than kiteboard gear. Speedsailors themselves are generally more massive (i.e. heavy) than any kiteboarder. Any collision between a kiteboarder and speedsailor will be "won" by the speedsailor and it will not be pretty (Force=Mass x Velocity).

Good job, Bill, for your positive attitude and proactive communication regarding sharing the river and lowering the probability for serious harm there. What more can a reasonable person do to "make it evident"? (no, nailing a kiteboarder is not acceptable in order to drive the point home, so to speak). I think you have clearly made it evident that there are hazards to both kiters and windsurfers there. And you have done so without name-calling or blaming.
billgfc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what?

this has been used for speedsailing and some learners since way before kiting existed

Cory Roessler joined us in the recent ten yrs past. He was terrific and aware, same as kiters today need to.

We are alerting kiters when we are there. They have been cordial and friendly.

I wrote this post to safe someone from getting seriously injured! All of us on the water need to be aware of maritime safety rules which do not change just because we kite, windsurf, or choose a sailboat for that matter.

In this case the burden is on someone who bisects the sandbar without paying attention to those sailing next to it.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't really a problem at the Klickitat like some would like you to believe. Kiters and windsurfers coexist very well and are just as appreciative of each others abilities. The onus of responsibilty is on the overtaking sailor/kiter, they must always stay clear or give way to someone in front of them standing in the water, turning, kiting or windsurfing. I find a loud yeehah 100 yards before someone in the water alerts them to what you are doing and makes both parties aware of the situation, it always works for me at close to 50 mph and gives other water users a heads up.
billgfc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: as I wrote:

"Yesterday we were speedsailing and had to call out to kiters to get them to look up and they yielded without incident. One came over to chat after and that helped. "

The kiters have been cordial as my post stated.

Right of way is as stated in my post. Overtaking craft has right of way, but not if other craft is forcing that craft to a hazard (the sandbar).

This is about good communication and both parties need to communicate which is paramount here.
mik377

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does common sense come into play?.. uh I see people trying to set speed records but I think Ill fly back and forth across their path anyway.
It reminds me of the kiter at Bobs Beach two days ago who kept jumping and weaving in between the narrow pattern of windsurfers when hes got the whole river at his disposal. And yes there is a difference between someone who needs 5 feet vs a jumping kiter who needs a 50 foot wide berth because you never know where he will land.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mik377 wrote:

It reminds me of the kiter at Bobs Beach two days ago who kept jumping and weaving in between the narrow pattern of windsurfers when hes got the whole river at his disposal.

I was there that day too, and noticed that jackass as well. What was with that guy? I was coming in, he was a little up wind and headed out, so I went downwind to stay well clear of him. He just turned around, went downwind and skimmed is kite over me, put me well under his lines with this stupid "ha ha" grin on his face. There were hardly any kiters out that day, and like you said, he had the whole friggin river but chose to just stay right in front of Bob's. Its just weird. I sometimes wonder if these guys are just bored with their sport, and deliberately trying to stir the pot just for something to do.
EdwardZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your story straight Lizard, it's Bill........ By the way did you notice that Bill's said the kiter was cordial and probably had no idea how fast he was going. "Jackass!?" No need to call people names and create this "us against them" attitude. It does not help anyone trying to enjoy the scene. You think this is the first time a kiter has been near a windsurfer?
pholmstr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kudos to Bill for making it evident... Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
In case any kiteboarder does not know the following: Speedsailors go far faster than any kiteboarder ever will.

uhhhhh

http://50knots.xs4all.nl/gps-kitesurfing/gps.asp?mnu=news
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: