myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Klickitat River Sandabar Speedsailling/kiting Safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdwardZ wrote:
Get your story straight Lizard,

Uhh... I think its you that needs to get your story straight. Look at my quote, I quoted mik377 in agreement with what was going on at Stevenson. I'm not talking about the kiter with the speed racers. I'm standing by my original comment, the kiter at Bob's beach who was deliberately putting his kite over people windsurfing, doing jumps amongst the windsurfers, while all the time having all the room in the world to do that somewhere esle was a jackass. If you have an issue with me calling him that, Edward, I really don't care.

I have friends who kite, I have helped kiters many, many times on the river, including pulling a kiter and is kite in to shore as he drifted past the White Salmon River and was faciing a very long drift/swim to the Hatch. However, there are still plenty of times where I see agro behavior by kiters towards windsurfing. Just agree with mik377's comment "where does common sense come into play?". It just seems that there are still kiters that feel windsurfers are a "target" and that its "open season" on them because they are "poleboarders" or whatever. As negative as all this sounds, it has relevance to this thread. Yes, there are going to be kiters like Cory that recognize what is going on at Lyle, and will be more than happy to co-operate with windsurfers who are making speed runs. However, people should also be aware that Lyle is also growing in popularity as a kiting spot. There may be new kiters there who are unaware of the history of speed runs being set, and among those, there may be some guys like the jackass in front of Bob's Beach that are going to be more than happy to mess it up with some windsurfers.
NwaMike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kudos to Bill for making it evident... Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

In case any kiteboarder does not know the following: Speedsailors go far faster than any kiteboarder ever will.

Really? Very Happy
http://www.luderitz-speed.com/ContentPages/Events/Events.aspx

A few observations.
First, obviously everybody, kiters and windsurfers included, needs to stay aware of what's going on around them. Some don't and that's not good.

There are "Jackasses" in both sports, as well as in every other walk of life. The reality is that the vast majority of both kiters and windsurfers are pretty good people.

It is incumbent upon the operator of any vessel to operate said vessel in a safe manner. That's the law. Operating a vessel at a speed that is unsafe is reckless and illegal. It is correct that most kiteboarders don't know what's going on with the speedsailors. That's going to increase the odds of an incident. Doing speed runs in such a manner that you can not safely react to likely situations is reckless. Does that mean speed runs should stop? Of course not. But it does mean that you might want to organize them. Signs, safety spotters, letting other user groups know whats going on...

I think you'll find a lot of support in the kiteboarding community. You might even find some pretty good competition. Very Happy
groundclown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All:
I am the kiter that Looped over Mr. Fin (bill.)
I just want to start by saying that I have kited for around 18 years now and have 13+ years of windsurfing under my belt.

It was obvious to me that they were doing speed runs, and were there first. The guys spend a lot of time walking, and waiting for that right moment. I spent much time talking the BS with them on the beach, and also told them I would keep a close eye on them and leave if things got crowded. These guys (speed sailors) are really cool.

There were 2 other novice riders in the flats as well, that had cut across the speeders run numerous times, creating a potentially unsafe environment.

In the event that I looped over bill, I did in fact know exactly were he was. I had that perfect building gust and knew I had time to get to the flats and boost before we would intersect. Bill was still pitching upwind and starting to turn leeward as I sent my kite. I did not expect him to catch me quite that quick (he picked up some sudden wicked speed as he went off the wind). Had he been closer, I would have left his course 2-3 seconds earlier, but I knew I had just enough room, as a loop takes you hard and fast straight down wind. I landed my loop and headed back in the same direction, then watching him run up under the bridge (I messed up his concentration) about 30' up the klickitat before coming to a stop. I stopped on the beach as his friends were laughing and saying (jokingly of course) I should have did a rail slide off his mast, and that they wished they had gotten it on video. I WILL KEEP THINGS A BIT FURTHER AWAY FROM NOW ON. I am sorry I f-d up your run and made you uncomfortable.

unless of course, if any of you are down, the next time we have strong wind. 5M or 7M kite day (35-40). I could supply camera men from 3 or 4 different perspectives. Start out with a larger space cushion and work on closing the gap with each trial. 3-5 trials and we'll have it.
Jonathon
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Kiter speed Reply with quote

OK, so exceptional kiteboarders get serious speed too. Very good. Awesome. Kiteboarding is the most awesome sport ever. Still, on average, speed poleboarders go far faster than recreational kiteboarders.

The jist hasn't changed: a collision between kiter and pole-speeder would be catastrophic. Even AIMING toward a pole-speeder is a bad idea for the pole-speeder as changing course rapidly (evasion) could be a disaster for Mr. Fin. Bill has done what he can to communicate all this.

EVERYBODY STAY FAR AWAY FROM SPEED SAILORS.
windwing1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said.
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, It sure would have made a fanatastic, stunt/camera shot.. maybe sell the footage.

Actually when it happened, I saw you pass in front, remained calm, moved slightly to leeward, but you were clear anyway. My concentration sharpened/

I tend not to do the jibe at the end because my is too small and I d get stuck too far downwind before starting.

Your friend spoke with me as you know yesterday. What stunt that could be. You guys have been very cordial, glad we all keep it that way.

I thought it would be good to get this all out on open forum, in hope the unaware may become more so, as you would like to see also

all the best and enjoy

Bill
pdxkiteboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiter speed Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
OK, so exceptional kiteboarders get serious speed too. Very good. Awesome. Kiteboarding is the most awesome sport ever. Still, on average, speed poleboarders go far faster than recreational kiteboarders.

EVERYBODY STAY FAR AWAY FROM SPEED SAILORS.

Umm, why you got to be a dick about it? Surprise, people from both sports that concentrate on speed running are faster than people that don't. Yes, speed poleboarders go faster than recreational kiteboarders. And yes, the current speed record is held by a Kiteboarder.

But that is not the issue, the issue is the safety of all users at Lyle. Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what went down at lyle for the past 20 years, its a different place now. I'm cool and the gang with sharing the water with everyone and generally stay out of peoples way. I don't even pay attention to windsurfers unless we are on some kind of collision course. The problem with Lyle is that the gay bar has become so crowded, that beginners are seeking out lyle to learn to kiteboard. Experienced people can stay out of other people's way but beginer kiteboarders..well, not soo much.

I don't disagree with EVERYONE STAY FAR AWAY FROM SPEED SAILORS.. but its not like these people should expect to walk down to Lyle and have the sea part for them. Everyone should get their session in but I hope that the speed freaks need to realize that they should spread the word of their intentions and work together to let people know what is going on and get some of the newbs out of the water.

I would love to take a break and see these guys tear across the flats. But from the sounds of it, it can be fairly dangerous and the necessary precautions should be taken.. Maybe have some guys with flags or something, I dunno. Just some way to let people know what's going on that's all.

It's just sad when people have to turn into the "us" vs "them" B.S. It's not 2005, get over it and lets keep things positive.

There is an ongoing Lyle thread over on NWkite. If you want to speedsail on a weekend, that would be the best place to post and get the word out.

cheers,
Brian
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes < I understand.

The good thing is speedsailors have similar attitude that you do,

overall interactions have been great< all adrenaline freaks:)

good discussions= better safety and fun too1
groundclown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speeders do have small marker flags out, and run a tight flight pattern, each taking their turns.

This is clear to those in the know, but newbie kiters or windsurfers would not understand the precise control and concentration, or dangers involved, even without the other sailors on the course. These guys need their space, but if precautions are taken, and people pay attention, we can all ride and have fun together and support each other with some cheers, and even beers.
I would advise all beginner sailors to stay out of the way. Most newbies are not comfy downwind of the sandbar anyway, as there is land and a tree in the "impact zone"

BTW wish I could have ridden with you guys on Sunday but, my baby sitter flaked out until about 4 and you guys had all left. Had my cameras all charged up, and lots of memory. Sad maybe next time

Have fun, ride hard, and be safe.

On another note: There are only about 3-5 people accessing the sandbar without crossing the tracks. I have been telling the fishermen and kids to please stay off the tracks but, usually get a Fu-Q. lets keep this site open
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this site could end up like Doug's West? That was a good site till they started handing out tickets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: