myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Klickitat River Sandabar Speedsailling/kiting Safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groundclown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but true. I've gotten 2 verbal warnings. the second should have been a ticket but, the BNSF police fired off there siren at me and about 5 others one day. I was not yet on the tracks but, about 10' away. The rest were on the tracks and received written warnings.

There are no trespassing signs posted in 2 spots there. They state that you could get 6 months in jail and max $1000 fine. I think BNSF should be fined for taking away human rights to recreation, as well as helping the local businesses go under. The Lyle city council is on our side. We need some lawyers and CGWA's help, and maybe a Lyle launch association that takes a lifetime membership/ Donation to help get in a crossing.
pdxkiteboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest is the Lyle site coordinator for the CGKA. The issue is definately coming to a head but hopefully the east winds will start before the railroad decides to build a fence or something.

The assholes parking on the south side of the road aren't helping either. Yes, the local with the ugly electric car, it doesn't matter "if its small" WASDOT doest NOT want you parking there so don't be a dick about it!! how lazy do you have to be to not walk an extra
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state, county or town need to make it a park. Sometimes it makes it better (Doug's....by not eliminating it) and sometimes it makes it worse (floras lake, rowena were free and never busy). more access in general would be nice.
groundclown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lyle sand bar was annexed into the Klickitat-Balfor park in 2002 by the USFS. I think this is why we have made it this far without problems from the money grubbing railroad.

Sadly there are lots of locals who still park on the south side. Even I quit this spring, and I've been kiting, sailing, fishing, and playing there since 1991 when my family moved to Lyle. The "I'm a local card is BS"

I believe that the CGKA has forgotten about Lyle (forest said we can't win) and moved on to Rewena, which is a lame spot IMHO

There is an alternative launch, but only works well at low water, and not newbie friendly, as it is downwind and the wind down there sucks most of the time. Lots of sticks. It is also off-limits part of the year for natural habitat, and has very little/ no parking.
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiter speed Reply with quote

pdxkiteboarder wrote:
its not like these people should expect to walk down to Lyle and have the sea part for them.

I wasn't going to jump in, but I just have to say that I was windsurfing with my wife at Stevenson one day in July and one of the speed sailors came so close to hitting me on a broad reach that I thought about knocking his head off on the beach. It's one thing to speed sail in the Hood River with nobody else using the water, but one of those dough heads thinks he can fly around and everybody should get out of his way. If he's ever in an accident, it will be his fault for sure.
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiter speed Reply with quote

pdxkiteboarder wrote:
its not like these people should expect to walk down to Lyle and have the sea part for them.

I wasn't going to jump in, but I just have to say that I was windsurfing with my wife at Stevenson one day in July and one of the speed sailors came so close to hitting me on a broad reach that I thought about knocking his head off on the beach. It's one thing to speed sail in the Hood River with nobody else using the water, but one of those dough heads thinks he can fly around and everybody should get out of his way. If he's ever in an accident, it will be his fault for sure.
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiter speed Reply with quote

pdxkiteboarder wrote:

katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdxkiteboarder wrote:

pdxkiteboarder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katosdog, can you post your response again? Smile

My understanding is that the USFS doesn't really want kite boarders or anyone else for that matter down there disturbing the wildlife. I've dealt with the USFS on a number of different projects, (I'm an Env. consultant) and they generally don't mess around once they have made up their mind.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Speed Sailors" are not at Stevenson. You must have encountered one of the tourists or kooks trying to impress someone.

Please don't lump the Lyle Speed Sailors in with the goof balls at Stevenson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: