myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Price of used sails - Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Price of used sails - Guide Reply with quote

Selling a few sails and would be very interested to see any feedback on prices anyone has sold or bought used sails for? Also where else but here is are people selling?

What I mean is:

2007 A+ Ezzy bought or sold for $250.
2005 C Gaastra manic $75

Much appreciate any comments.

Seems like the old deals at the end of season have evaporated with low inventory and so trimming the quiver down.

Thanks.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just missed CoyotePt's swap this weekend, so Helm is the only local choice.
Also, Delta should be doing their endofseason sale pretty soon.
Price seems within reason, I have an '07EzzyWave5.5 with about 12 days I'd sell for around that price.
What else you gots to sell?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I figger sails lose about $100 in value per year for the first 3 or so years, less after that, borne out by what I've gotten for the last 40 or 50 I've sold with one to five years of use. Mine have been high-demand, long-lived brands, just as your Ezzy is.

BTW, a very experienced expert bud demoed the '09 Ezzys a couple of days ago. He decided they were changed little if any from his '07s.

Mike \m/
Epenrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee.

Bought a Hot Sails Maui wave sail, "Smack" from the ladies at Coyote. Have always been a Gaastra sailor for years but got a little worn out with mono in the waves, just doesn't work.

The Gaastra's have been good to me, great for the bay, but lousy in durability for heavy duty wave use. Quiver I am selling off is 5.7 X2 C+, 5.3 C+, 4.5 C+, 5.0 C+, all 2005's. Figured I'd sell for $75 a piece. Have one new sail I already posted with just one session. All Manic's.

At $500+ a sail you want a lot of durability and bomber proof in my book.

regards
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lucky for me, I did all my surfsailing pre mono days, with a few mid '90's sesh with Zetas and Voodoos (no mono).
Now mixed quiv of Ezzys, Simmers, Zeta, and Voodos, no mono.
And they always worked with with RDMS too.
But mono is crisp and responsive for flat water, so have some of those too (Manic5.7, OnshoreWave5.2).
Hope you find some new great spots soon...
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to take a look at Sailworks "Revolution" wave sails, all X-ply, super tough, silky smooth feel with great power, bought 4 for all my smaller sizes, love them! Looks like they would stop bullets.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That describes virtually every 2.8-6.2 sail -- literally 99.999% of my sailing -- I've owned since about 1990. The Revolution is an excellent sail, but has a lot of competition.

Mike \m/
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

I have demoed the 2007, 2008, and 2009 and there is definitely a difference. The Freewave is a much softer feeling sail with less pop in the transitions. Dave Ezzy is also making a sail called the Panther which is more similar to the 07/08 sails. Most of my quiver is 06 and still going strong.

Hate to say it but there isn't much of a market for older sails. The newer stuff tends to hold its value a bit better and I recall people getting good money for 1 or 2 year old Ezzys.

Glad to see Epenrose is getting the monofilm out of his quiver. Still think he should try out the Ezzys.

Chris
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Revolution 5.4 and 5.2, they're OK, nothing special.
Like my Convertigos from '97 best of all.
Have '07 Ezzy5.5, older 5.0.
Simmers Onshore and WaveComps.
NR's and MPR's
Basically, they're all good.
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the various used sail sizes/conditions/years/prices on Windance

at http://www.windance.com/default.asp?windance~useditemlist~SAIL~Sails

Then maybe you can come up with a similar model.

Factor in that these are mostly Ezzy's which are fairly bombproof (though maybe some of the other brands have now caught up in that area).

Also, FYI: Windance are in Oregon, so no Sales Tax.

I used to buy used Ezzy sails from these guys, and they were just great for blastin; around in the bay, lasted for many seasons. In more recent years I started to get new sails, but now I'm finally switching away from Ezzy which doesn't match my current mainstream sailing activity: i.e. freestyle very well, particularly with 2007 models (and presumably 08, 09 also though I haven't tried those).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: