myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ike swell still delivering rides. Stay alert.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Ike swell still delivering rides. Stay alert. Reply with quote

Noticed too late last night that I could have wave sailed with my long board on a very solid thermal. Missed it.

Wx guesser speak: do thermals have more punch, even in lower temps, when there's tons of apre tropical storm rain in full evaporation mode? Temps were not that high in FL yesterday, so I dropped my guard for the typical sea breeze schtick....

Just trying to become a better wind guesser.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I sailed at the Fort Pierce south jetty yesterday. It wasn't quite enough for planing on a Kona ONE with a 7.8, except in the outflow of the inlet where the current was helping. The waves were big but they were only breaking right at the steep beach, making launching hard. I don't really know the good beaches to launch from since I only moved to the "treasure coast" a week ago. Where are the good places to go, and are there any shops or clubs or anything around here?

Thanks,
James
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found the ecfw on Yahoo Groups yet? ecfw stands for east central fl windsurfing. I don't get down in that area much. Hobe Sound and Ft Pierce Inlet parks are all I know. You are in the midst of a kite stronghold. Beware of the full onslaught of that insanity. The main thrust that got all those former windsurfers into kiting I believe was small board wind snobbery, then the frustration of too high of expectations. I've sailed the Stuart Cswy some as well.

Options for onshore down there are tough. We've got the Cape up here, that giveth and taketh away. Having the Kona will help bunches. The shore pound will be the hardest thing to deal with. Try S Jetty park Ft Pierce if there is any bit of N in the wind. N Jetty for any bit of S in the wind. Cheers.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Thanks, I just joined the yahoo group.

Yeah, Fort Pierce is definitely a kite stronghold, but the kiters seem pretty friendly and ok with my sailing where they ride.

Today I sailed the Ike-related winds at the South Jetty and it was AWESOME. Later on I checked out the North Jetty and the break there was a lot better than on the South side- very gradual. Also, there were no buildings or high dunes, so it could be a good spot for side-off frontal winds. Some surfers to dodge, though.

-James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: