myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
F2 Axxis 270 1993?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
show

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: F2 Axxis 270 1993? Reply with quote

I'm finding alot of good reviews on the ~10 year old Axxis line from the late 90's. Lots of people like them and still sail them.

I'm 215 and sail on the SF bay with a 115l synchro.

I'm ready for a smaller, more nimble board when the wind and chop picks up, and have found an F2 Axxis 270 that looks to be in good shape in a photo.

Is this 15 yr old board as rideable as the 10 year old Axxis?
Anything to watch out for?
Mast track position?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 Axxis 270 1993? Reply with quote

show wrote:
I'm finding alot of good reviews on the ~10 year old Axxis line from the late 90's. Lots of people like them and still sail them.

I'm 215 and sail on the SF bay with a 115l synchro.

I'm ready for a smaller, more nimble board when the wind and chop picks up, and have found an F2 Axxis 270 that looks to be in good shape in a photo.

Is this 15 yr old board as rideable as the 10 year old Axxis?
Mast track position?

You may want to ask in the west coast board (this is the Eastern) for a more regional take, but I'll weigh in as a former Axxis sailor. The Axxis line was a lot of fun (my favorite was the 258 in 1996). If you're looking at a 15 year old Axxis (a friend of mine still has a 1994...that's 14 years old...he never sails it because he can not get balanced on it) I'd say leave it be. Given the mast track positioning you're never going to get close to optimal trim unless you've got a stash of 15 year old masts and sails. Whatever that board is being sold for, you should be able to find something more modern (2000 or newer) for the same price at a swap meet.

If you've got your heart set on a board that old, I strongly encourage you to take it for a test sail before you commit. There's a world of difference between a Synchro and a 1990's Axxis.

LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would NOT recommend you get an Axxis 270 for your current needs, you might consider one for speed sailing in flat water and strong winds.
It's still one of the fastest boards for slalom conditions, the mast track is just fine where it is (I used one last year for over 20 days against some very fast GPS and slalom racers). It's heavy, yes, compared to Sputniks, but much more controllable and quite fast in "overpowering conditions".
And I have a 270 Sputnik AND 275 AND 280 Sputniks currently.
It's a nose nose design with the mast track well back, as is the widepoint, so there is no problem with track placement on any modern FREERIDE or slalom type sail.
No, it's not a freestyle board.
And it's much faster than any Syncro of almost any size providing it's planing powered up.
Sorry PeconicPuffin, but my bud hit 31mph on an Axxis 270 last year, and he owns Thommen 60's, Blast 62, some Protecs, and JP SlalomPros.
That's within ONE mph of the other boards, which are modern.
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no another comment from a nut job who specializes in riding old boards.

My take is if you have one (or access to one), ride it. I got 2 pretty good days in last week on a "262" version (maybe 10 years old). At 85 liters, I consider it my light wind board mainly for 6.0 to 5.0 sailing in weedy conditions. I've got 2 nice weed fins and a nice curtis slotted wave for it.

I'm easy to please, I never (almost anyway) ever leave the beach saying that state of the art gear would have made for a better experience.

RC
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to retract most everything I said above, as I was confused as usual, as to which exactly the board....
Instead, I'll say it's very similar to a SunsetSlalom, a true classic and still viable 5-7 meter board for FREERIDE sailing. Less double concave, more panel V out the back, a very modern bottom actually, but....
Yeah, track is pretty forwards, at 60", but usable if you run front straps forward, which a 215lbs'er would usually do.
Friend of mine still sails one, as of two years ago, at Crissy, and he's one of the faster sailors out there. 100% jibes, of course, so he can sail, but he's cheap.
Deep V out the back allows for smooth riding in rough conditions, so even thos it's an older style design, it can work quite well with the track about 23" from the center of front straps...an OK arrangement.
Sorta similar to the old Axxis 255, a very good medium high wind board in it's day.
If ANY one of us can sail as well as the top sailors of 1992 did, we'd be in HEAVEN and sailing much better than we could now with the new gear.
Gear is great to have newest and greatest, but SKILL is much more important, and top sailors from the late '80's are still top sailors by today's standards.
Can any of us jump higher than BrucePeterson and MikeKitts when they were sailing in 1994? And we still can't sail as fast!
jordanwd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, the axxis line fricken Rocked back in the day! I had the axxxis 260 and loved it for bump and jump, the 270 was loved by the people who had them...the only problem; w/ some of them that is, was splittting the rails from too much jumping & landing it flat..this never happened to mine though ( some racer knucklehead jibed right on top of me--his fin virtually decapitated the board's nose off..)... hey , if you can get a 270 for 50 bucks or so, what have you got to loose..?
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ditto the good reviews of the late 90's Axxis 272. This board has always soaked up the chop for me and been as fast as I'd wanted to go in choppy 6.5 and 5.7 conditions. I still hang onto it as a fall back from by more modern wider 95 liter board because I still think the comfort level in hell chop can't be beat with the older narrower shape. You could take this board out in 5.0 if you needed to as well. I don't think you'd be as happy with the much older 270 though.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In summary:

1. The Axxis line were fine boards back in the day.
2. Not compatible with modern rigs unless you want mediocre performance.
3. Much better choices exist. Go to any swap meet and select from boards made in the 21st century.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:

Sorry PeconicPuffin, but my bud hit 31mph on an Axxis 270 last year, and he owns Thommen 60's, Blast 62, some Protecs, and JP SlalomPros.
That's within ONE mph of the other boards, which are modern.

Don't apologize to me, LeeD, apologize to the poster whose time you are wasting.

The question wasn't "can I get an Axxis to sail fast". It was "Is this 15 yr old board as rideable as the 10 year old Axxis?
Mast track position?"

Without exception the 15 year old board is less ridable than the 10 year old board, and both are less suited to well-balanced windsurfing than something made since 2000, unless the sailor has rigs from the same era as the mast track position is dramatically further forward.

The comment by the poster who warned of "nut jobs who specialize in riding old boards" is correct. You have made a habit here (as you tried to do in rec.windsurfing a few years ago until responses to the goofyness of your suggestions lead to your departure) to glamorize old gear that will not serve the needs of the poster.

I wound up a Sputnik to 37 last fall that some other dude had in the back of his barn. It was fun to do for a laugh, but I was happy to get off the thing and back onto a 5 year old JP, which not only rips in a straight line but jibes and tacks and slashes and bashes much, much better.

LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael....
"While I would NOT recommend the Axxis 270".......
I think that is the main point. I started out saying I would NOT .......
I just went into the yard and measured, with a tape measure, the exact distance from the center of front straps (forward setting, I like 22" spread of stance), to the farthest back setting of the mast track.
Guess what? It's exactly 22"....totally MODERN for freeriding, NOT freestyle.
My friends Naish 65 Slalom, an '08 model, uses exactly that distance.
My '07JPSlalomPro84 uses slightly MORE distance.
How can you say the track is wrongly placed (like my use of new words?? Wink Wink ).
Once again, I would not recommend the Axxis 270 as a suitable higher wind board, but it would work if no other option was readily availible.
If you look closely at the outline of the newest '07 and newer boards, you'll likely see a trend towards WIDE POINT FORWARDS, narrower tails, and what appears to be track forward (but not, because the boards just got shorter).
AND, you can SUP a 60cm wide 270 Axxis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: