myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
F2 Axxis 270 1993?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Hi Michael....
"While I would NOT recommend the Axxis 270".......
I think that is the main point. I started out saying I would

Followed by 150 words of you going on about what the poster did not ask and how suitable the board would be for that. Then your "sorry Puffin" babble. Did anyone mention speed?

Your posts inevitably serve as vehicles for you to talk about yourself and your "buds" in conditions and on equipment that the original post was not about. And invariably you recommend equipment that is neither optimal for what the person is asking about, nor any cheaper than more appropriate gear.

LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Michael, you are one NEGATIVE personality, aren't you?
OK, some older boards are not as suitable for medium high winds as some newer boards, but they all worked just fine, and I KNOW a good sailor can use a 270Axxis as well as any 105 liter modern board in moderate breeze.
As for a less than expert sailor, the advantage of the 270 is narrower tail, thinner tail for jibing and control, while having the advantage of float in the front.
Less snappy turning? YES!
Not as cool looking atop your car? Yes!
Not promoting the industry by channelling money to Cobra? Yes!
But can it work ok in 5.5 to 7 meter winds? YES.
Would I ride one today in 16-22mph breezes? NO !!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Your posts inevitably serve as vehicles for you to talk about yourself and your "buds"

Just how else are we to evaluate Lee's credibility? Only if we assume his history is totally fabricated --- which I do not believe for a minute -- could we dismiss his opinions and claims as puffery. Without knowledge of his background, his authoritative evaluations and opinions would be just more internet blather worth little more than, oh, say, my very sparse recollections of the Axxis I tested 15 years ago.

Lee doesn't need my defense; he's a big boy. HOWEVER, I'm sick and tired of people's inability to comprehend that supporting one's statements is important, valid, and necessary if the statements are to be of any use. At least Lee is offering facts and opinions relevant to the thread's topic under the assumption that it's useful to the OP; I don't see how criticizing him contributes to the thread or the OP at all.

Mike
boden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Axxis 272 Reply with quote

What can you guys (LeeD, Peconic, isobars, anyone?) tell me about the Axxis 272 (95l) from the late 90s (1998 or 19999)? How well will the mast track work with modern (draft forward) sails, like the Ezzy SE 5.8 and Ezzy Freeride 6.5? I'm looking for a lower volume board for wavy conditions and high winds (20+). I'm a 190lb intermediate with lots of experience; I can waterstart no problem, sail in the straps with a harness but am still working on my jibes.
robw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not RobW, but using his password.....
I rode the 272 Axxis, the yellow one with red stripes down the center, last year couple of days.
Worked well with my Ezzy '07 5.5 Wave, worked OK with Naish 6.5 Noa the next day, with same 12.5 Ames NS-S fin.
Track is waaaay back, as it's a no nose design board, and would be modern if you shortenned the nose to maybe a total of 250.
Oh sorry, you guys still think boards longer than 235 would not possibly plane up Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Anyways, the track placement is modern, it's just got a long nose which is great for slogging.
Oh....it goes decently fast, the deep V makes it ride smooth, and the thin tail coupled with moderate width allows it to jibe just fine.
It'sa little heavy, at a designed 16.5 lbs or so, so is a little sluggish for slalom performance, but fine for high winds.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the late '90s Axxis in particularI have no clue, but I absolutely freaking LOVE my 2009 Northwaves on my whole fleet of 1999-2001 7X-liter boards. Why shouldn't I ... the many mast tracks I've measured from about 1995 through 2008 have all been within an inch or three of the same position, with substantial overlap. The only bud I consistently can't catch is a big Martian who had his custom board built with the mast tack set forward because he likes a big open stance.

Mike \m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Geez Michael, you are one NEGATIVE personality, aren't you?

No, just trying to stop people from making bad decisions based on bad information. You're well familiar with people telling you this.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
Your posts inevitably serve as vehicles for you to talk about yourself and your "buds"

Just how else are we to evaluate Lee's credibility?

I'd say the continuing track record over years (go back to rec.windsurfing) of people jumping and contradicting LeeD provides some insight as to the value of what he has to say.

isobars wrote:
I'm sick and tired of people's inability to comprehend that supporting one's statements is important, valid, and necessary if the statements are to be of any use.

So in your mind only those posts accompanied by stories and personal histories are valid? I'd say that some people like to simply address the question, while others like to talk about themselves in addition to answering the question, while still others use the question to talk about themselves.

LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP....
You certainly have the right to disagree with anything I say, but let's LOOK at the past records...
I said Hypersonic was no good, that it would be replaced by a flat to V wide board...did it not?
I said you can, by SHOULD NOT jump the Hyper or any other slalom type board. YOU SHOULD NOT....warrantee voiding one of the reasons, besides breakage.
I said I tried a 5.7 longboom sail on a 95 cm Formula, and it worked. A year later, no less than one of *board's TeamRiders says he practices in Maui with a 5.5.
I said it's possible to plane in "13mph winds". You guys said no way. NOT Formula, but slalom boards. You know Slalom 42 EQ easily planes up within TWO MPH of Formula kit.
Do you REALLY want more examples?
I'm not always dead on right, I'm even wrong sometimes, but just what is it you have a problem with concerning my answers?
Leading others? I can sail a 1989 StarshipNaish in winds of 20-40mph, as well as any modern small volume board.
And so can almost ANY windsurfer who actually CAN sail small boards.
So continue to pick and nick all you want, you're just WRONG !! Wink
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobW surrogate,
The Axxis with the red stripe was a 1999 273 as I recall. The 1997/1998 model was the 272. The 273 (according to the reviews at the time) had harder boxier rails and stiffer construction versus the 272 (more jarring ride) and was more straight line oriented then the 272 (harder to jibe). Interestingly the 272 volume is really 90 liters, not 95 (see below). I don't know actual volume of the 273. Also, the '97 272 reportedly had a few construction issues and did not hold up as well as the '98's. I own a '98 272.

Boden,
Here are the details on the 272 based on my experience:
It will balance out well with modern sails, as its mast track is at 51 - 57.5 inches from the tail. Being narrow it would benefit from a sail with some power to it though (to get you going), which is something some sails lack these days. I'm not familiar with your Ezzys as far as power goes. I like my Loft Lip 2004 5.7 a lot with this board, and also a very grunty N.P. V-8 6.5. This board is a bunch of compromises that make it not too fast nor too slow, controlled in chop, and ok turny due to its not too sharp nor too soft rails. Learning to jibe on it would not be as easy as with a more modern wider tailed board due to the narrow tail being less forgiving of slowing down mid jibe. However, perfecting jibes is fine since the board handles so well in chop and because it rewards you if you use good technique and manage to oversheet the sail and pressure the leeward rail appropriately. I have even sailed small waves with this board using a small fin. Basically, it does everything reasonably well and nothing exceptionally well--the definition of a very competent intermediate's board. This board planes up pretty easily for me (25 pounds lighter than you).

Here are some actual measurements on my board:
Width= 21.5"
Tail=13-3/4"
Wide Point=50.5" from tail
Actual Length= 8'-10"
Actual Volume (according to an old test in Windsurfing Mag)=90 liters, even though it is advertised as 95 liters
At my mast position for a 6.5 sail (54") the distance from mast to front straps (straps at mid hole positions, and measured to center of straps) = 21-1/4"
Strap spread = 19.5"
Mast to front of fin box = 43-3/4" which puts this board in the "slalom" category.

So if you're ok with the smaller than advertised volume and can find a 1998 (more durable) 272 it will probably serve you well for your high wind needs. Based on what I remember of the reviews of the 273 I don't think you'd like that one as much since much harsher ride and harder to jibe. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: