myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather, you folks have had a wonderful season, and really, you have so many spots relatively close. Our season here in SoCal was absolutely the worst I can ever remember, so I'm suitably envious. All I can do now is wish for windy Fall (but that's really a lot of blind optimism on my part).

Regarding iWindsurf, I read the forecasts, but it's the actual readings that are the most meaningful. If I simply depended on the forecasts, I would have missed about half the days I was able to realize.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am NOT saying "you shoulda been there yesterday". I've been a serious surfer for 40 odd years, and NEVER rub it in to anyone ever!
But facts are facts, and you should maybe learn from history.
This is now Sept. Maybe one more month in the season. If you want to windsurf, go now.
When fog is past StFrancis, head East.
Ebbs favor Crissy, TI, and SBay.
Floods favor EastBay, Larkspur, 'Stick, R&G.
Crissy sensor is located at AnitaRock. How many days at Crissy have winds peaking AT AnitaRock. Think this thru. Lotsa days reading "6-15" at the rock have sailors using 5.0's grossly overpowered in the middle to NorthTower.
When fog is pulled back, conditions favor Crissy no matter what the tides, but you have to be able to handle floods AND ebbs to catch it.
SBay, you don't have to drive past SFO. There's 'stick, SierraPt., Oyster, and Haskins.
Fog IN at LagunaSafeway? Take the tour at 2PM to Larkspur. If fog stops at MillValley, then it's the call. If not, head RichmondBridge to MarinaBay and LOOK over towards Berkeley....sail where windy.
You can't rely solely on computers to run your life...you gotta take some affirmative action to catch wind most days.
Good luck, you should catch maybe 20 more days of 5.3 and under, considering you're living in a much windier location than I do.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wndsrfrmn wrote:
Where else can you be wrong half the time and still keep your job?

Any elected office, at least for a few years.

Mike /m\
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wndsrfrmn wrote:

Mike /m\
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: sticky fingers? Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
wndsrfrmn wrote:

Mike /m\

isobars wrote:
wndsrfrmn wrote:

Mike /m\

Perhaps your posting difficulties are due to sticky fingers. Shocked

YippieYo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
I am NOT saying "you shoulda been there yesterday". I've been a serious surfer for 40 odd years, and NEVER rub it in to anyone ever!
But facts are facts, and you should maybe learn from history.
This is now Sept. Maybe one more month in the season. If you want to windsurf, go now.
When fog is past StFrancis, head East.
Ebbs favor Crissy, TI, and SBay.
Floods favor EastBay, Larkspur, 'Stick, R&G.
Crissy sensor is located at AnitaRock. How many days at Crissy have winds peaking AT AnitaRock. Think this thru. Lotsa days reading "6-15" at the rock have sailors using 5.0's grossly overpowered in the middle to NorthTower.
When fog is pulled back, conditions favor Crissy no matter what the tides, but you have to be able to handle floods AND ebbs to catch it.
SBay, you don't have to drive past SFO. There's 'stick, SierraPt., Oyster, and Haskins.
Fog IN at LagunaSafeway? Take the tour at 2PM to Larkspur. If fog stops at MillValley, then it's the call. If not, head RichmondBridge to MarinaBay and LOOK over towards Berkeley....sail where windy.
You can't rely solely on computers to run your life...you gotta take some affirmative action to catch wind most days.
Good luck, you should catch maybe 20 more days of 5.3 and under, considering you're living in a much windier location than I do.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I can't get all the wind I would like with my job and other things in my life. Not sure what you're getting at with "learn from history" comment, but I do honestly admire your ability to know where to go sailing based on which tree is shaking the hardest in your front yard. I just don't have the time or patience to develop similar alternative wind metrics, and will probably stay plugged into the matrix - sticking to iW and the webcams.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I just TOLD you what to look for !!! Wink Wink
It' up to you to decide whether to use any of my 26 years of SanFrancisco Bay windsurfing knowledge or not.
You can learn from history, or try to wing it and go your own way, I really don't care, but then, I just gave you a clue to knowledge and wind location in the SF Bay, so don't rail on me.
What more can I do?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone 'im every time it's blowing.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: sticky fingers? Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:

Perhaps your posting difficulties are due to sticky fingers. Shocked

Har de har ...

But seriously, folks ... what else we gonna do when the wind is this lame ... TYPE?

But mine and others' complaints to iW have not solved the obvious duplicate post problem, so I guess we'll just have to live with it.

Mike
YippieYo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
That's why I just TOLD you what to look for !!! Wink Wink
It' up to you to decide whether to use any of my 26 years of SanFrancisco Bay windsurfing knowledge or not.
You can learn from history, or try to wing it and go your own way, I really don't care, but then, I just gave you a clue to knowledge and wind location in the SF Bay, so don't rail on me.
What more can I do?

I'm not railing on you - chill out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: