myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cascade Locks Marina for east winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:

I think Isobars was just making the point that if you drift past the beach, your point of exit will be, shall we say, interesting? We use Cascade Locks as our "easy out" when sailing from Bob's... so if something goes wrong and you have to drift, just like Isobars said, go there. I would think you could get to the Washington side and pull out there if you really needed to.

The OR side has a sand/gravel beach, manicured lawn, parking, pavement, sidewalks, telephones, and an impressive sternwheeler terminal building with people, food, phones, bathrooms, heat, very helpful staff, and a variety of potential rides back to Bob's Beach. I found a willing chauffeur within minutes, so didn't have to wait the half hour until the sternwheeler departed for ... Bob's Beach.

Or one can wade through the swamp to reach the slimy boulders on the WA side and pretend you're on "Survivor Mangrove" for the next hour or two ... while I'm eating a hot cheeseburger and watching a ball game or shredding on a bigger sail upwind of Bob's. '-)

Gorge WSing doesn't HAVE to be brutal; brutal is a choice, not a mandate.

Mike \m/
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time "that" sternwheeler stopped in Stevenson was about 2 years ago.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'd better start taking a few bucks in my wet suit (phone, bridge toll, "taxi" fare) when I sail out of Bob's.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by isobars on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In East wind, anything downstream of Bobs' is Walk of Shame territory. If you want to do something different, do a down winder from Home Valley. We used to launch by the ball fields but you have climb down the rocks.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My simple solution to avoiding east wind "walks of shame" is to always sail upwind of the launch area.

When I launch at Bob's on east wind, I generally sail by the kite point. That way if the wind dies, I can slog back to Bob's no problem.

At Rooster, I launch at the most western stairway (shortest walk across the mud), and sail upwind a bit of the big tripod.

If the east wind starts to feel like it's dying, best to make a bee-line back home - especially when the water gets cold.
bobg
ascott72

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this post, I decided to check it out. Sailed Cascade Locks on sunday with a friend. 6.4 sails. Easy parking, nice beach/launch, good swells. The beach is just upriver from the entrance to the lock so I was a bit nervous about staying upwind and not getting caught in the lock at first but got over it. I suppose if you were drfiting downriver, as long as you stayed on the outside (north) of the lock, you would be fine. Seems like it would be a pretty sweet place when it really blows.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK . Don't tell anyone else about Cascade Locks. I sailed out of there yesterday and it's getting WAY TO CROWDED!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just because I no longer live in a van down by the river and thus must drive a couple of hours rather than a few miles to sail east winds, or have they really been sparse the past few years? Didn't we get 12-15 days of many hours of very strong east winds most Falls years ago, as opposed to far fewer and shorter days the past several years? I almost made the trek for these three days of good forecasts from all sources, but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't if the graphs are any indication; they show a couple of hours each on Sun and Mon with crap so far today.

I'm not knocking the forecasts; Sun and Mon were windy days. But two hours (I don't count east winds unless they produce good swell ... say many hours @ 4.2 or better) of 28 pales compared to the 6-8-hour 3.7 blasts we used to get beginning in late August. (Pete and Temira are welcome to December-February Wink .)

The same Q goes for corridor dawn patrol. We used to get dozens of them each summer (4.x by 5:00 AM); now I see a small handful per season, if that.

Wha hoppen?

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: