myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Prices
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandrian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Board Prices Reply with quote

Is it just me or does $9,999 for a board seem a little steep!

http://www.windspirit-direct.com/boards.cfm

http://www.windspirit-direct.com/boardDetails.cfm?fam_id=727
dapaterson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty damn outrageous! It must be the new carbon/gold sandwich construction. Smile
jkayes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that Wind Spirit is a Canadian company and uses prices based on Canadian dollars and then coverts back to US Dollars. The price is a product of our country's borrowing policies from China through the Fed and the dollar's value versus the Canadian dollar. I didn't realize it had gotten that bad, but it doesn't surprise me given our current administration.

No way, no how, no $10,000 boards from Canada!
danovalo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Hey Morons Reply with quote

Don't you think it's an error? Look at other prices. It should be $999.00. Check before blaming eveything on Bush. Have a common sense, I know that's something foreing to libs, but try a little.
wandrian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That got serious a little quickly. Sense of humor bypass?
insh8bl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, the $ 9,999.00 price tag for a new (2009) board is a typo. But not far from the truth I am afraid. Give the systemic weakness of the US dollar for some time now, board distributors have switched to Euros, at least the Cobra factory boards. Good for them, sucks for us.

Have you looked at 2009 board prices yet? JP pro editions $ 2,150.00, RRD’s $ 1,995.00, and Quartos’ also $ 1,950.00 US. Granted that is retail pricing, but still. Also, these prices are for production boards, given the anemic quality of Cobra boards I have observed over the last couple of years I think it’s time to consider customs a viable alternative.

Just out of a morbid sense of curiosity, check out the NeilPryde Maui website (I am not bashing them specifically, just using them as an example), or any other website with 2009 gear. One new board, your choice $ 2K, three sails about 2K, one boom 1K, and two masts about 1.5K. So, that new 2009 gear will run you about $ 6,500.00 US plus shipping and sales tax. And that doesn’t include wetsuit, harness, extension, harness lines…etc.
If I hadn’t delaminated two boards this year I would not be buying any new ones.
jkayes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be tough going through life sans humerus. We have stores here in SF that can help; look for the little green cross. Now let's all bow our heads and pray for wind.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insh8bl brings out the needed perspective, especially the choice between production and custom. Still though, the price structure certainly has been increasing overall, but not really unexpected with elevated carbon and transportation costs so prevalent today.

With the exception of one production board (ultimately junk), I've been strictly custom since 1992. Even though I might have paid a premium in the past on the carbon/epoxy side of the equation, it's certainly been worth it. In a way, it gives the custom designer/builder a great degree of lift and leverage now, especially since transportation/importation issues are virtually non-existent in the mix (maybe less the Maui contingent, as freight to and from Maui can be surprising).

Why not consider and focus on American designer/builders? You might be surprised.
insh8bl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkayes Posted: 13 Sep 2008 00:23 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Must be tough going through life sans humerus..."

Well, to tell the truth I still have a pair, a spare, and an extra floating around here somewhere. Besides, the custom Quatro twin fin and 2009 RRD HC are already on there way.
wandrian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently looking for a new board and the idea of custom has never really crossed my mind (which is strange, as all my surfboards were custom built).

What are the US based custom options out there?

I originally come from the UK so I know about these two:

http://www.moocustom.co.uk/ (UK)

http://www.witchcraft.nu/ (Fuerteventura)

My parents are coming over for a visit in October, so I suppose I could lie to them and tell them that traveling with a board is not a pain in the arse. The moo custom boards are £900 or with the current exchange rate, roughly $1610. Seems like a good deal for a custom glass/carbon board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: