myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging big... new to me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazimtug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Rigging big... new to me... Reply with quote

Hey folks- I just couldn't help it and got myself my first big rig, a 7.7 NP Hellcat (camless freeride/freerace) to polish off my quiver (have 5.3 and 6.5 as well)... I am 165 lbs, and ride the sails with my only board, the 115 Tabou Rocket with a 36 cm Drake Freeride.

I have been getting great feedback from the forum, so I thought I would ask you guys if you have any tips on using the 115 Tabou with the 7.7 Hellcat. The sail feels big to me, but I have used it only twice and still need to get used to it. Harness line position, mast track position, changes in stance, any other tricks in terms of handling the power of the sail?

Thanks much,
Hazim from Cyprus Very Happy
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're already using a 6.5, but don't mention WHAT kind, to approximate draft position for harness line settings.
Most 7.7 sized sails have drafts barely one inch back from most 6.5's, but it's individual sail vs individual sail, and without knowing which 6.5 you have, we don't know.......
Track can be easily the same spot, if draft is similar.
Riding technique? Well, if always slogging but almost planing, move track forwards. If waay powered, most people rig down, but you can move track 1" back to shorten waterline to lessen drag, but it's a high performance thing, and maybe just rigging down is simpler.
Keep boom kinda higher than your other sails, as big sails are taller.
Do longer radius jibes, as you can flip as quick.
Consider bigger fin for the Hellcat.....or in my case, smaller fin for your other sails....
hazimtug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the 6.5 is a Severne NCX, another freeride... Keeping the boom higher is something that I overlooked. I will try that.

As for the fin, what would I gain with a bigger one? In the right conditions, the board seems to be planing just fine, except for maybe few spin-outs in overpowering gusts. I am afraid to lose that agility of the Tabou with a bigger fin. If bigger, what size you think?

Thanks again,
Hazim
jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a bigger fin with the 7.7. I use a 40 with a 7.2. the bigger the fin, the more lift and earlier planing as well as pointing, and cruising through the lulls. A general rule for freeride fin length should not exceed the width of the board 30 cm from the tail. Have fun out there.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigging big is all relative. To me, that's rigging an 11 or 12 meter sail. Prydes need a bit more down haul than what one may consider to be intuitively right. Check the suggested settings. If you don't all Prydes tend to become under down hauled and then not appreciated as much. Cheers.
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fins that come with boards are usually colorful and curvy, but often spinout prone. In this case a Freeride fin from a board company is the wrong design as well. For 115 liters, stay upright in your fins for now.

Board companies do make good boards. that is why we call them board companies.

A good aftermarket fin correctly specified will eliminate almost all spinout , and get you going if larger and/or more upright in design.

Then a smaller fin will quiet the board and give better maneuvers when wind is up.

The fin is 1/3 of the board, rig and fin system.

If you need specific fin help check at fin company websites and ask questions

Gsport fins are at www.gsport.com

Bill Kline
Gorge sport USA
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fins that have been matched with the Rockets we've tested were actually a bit large for their class. I suspect it is fine. Don't push too soon. That's the most common mistake on the water. Get some boat speed going, then push for upwind. Cheers.
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tactical suggestion for any sailor:) Note unstable and poorly selected fins require this tactic and often the sailor has to squat move over the board rather than extend and ride the fin. Leverage and comfort, not gained

Did you do side by side test with quality aftermarket fins and compare results? If so did you test yourself then actually test with consumers?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Bill, we have full time jobs as well as doing the testing in FL. I'd be happy to drop the job to become a F/T tester if you or the industry could muster up the $$$$$ to provide me and the others down here in FL the sustenance we need. All volunteers down here....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: