myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Angry, agressive sailors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've noticed this in a few sailors since about the time two idioms reached bumper sticker status: "No Fear" and "Chill, Dude". I'm no social scientist, so I don't know the source or cause, but to me they and their actions collectively say, "I can do anything I want without consequences; you don't matter. STFU".

As someone else said a few weeks ago about these jerks, "They'll get theirs some day" (think Dangler). If each of us gives a few of them their just desserts, they will remain a small minority. (Besides, it's often fun, and justified with repeat or particularly aggressive offenders.) As Karl Marx and Hillary Clinton put it, each in his/her own words: "It takes a village to raise a child". Words helps short term in some cases; I've seen action be very effective in many cases.

Mike

I think you are on the right track here. This is not just an issue of windsurfing, kiting, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, jetskiing. Think about road rage on the crowded freeways. The key word is crowded. Maybe out west we are not used to crowds yet like they are on the east coast, Europe or Asia? Many of us grew up in small towns that have become large cities in a few years. Perhaps we don't yet have the social skills to handle the change in our way of life? I know the coastal beaches and valley lakes are way more crowded now.

Coachg
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Leo Carrillo Is Crazy!
I sailed there for the first time last week...lets just say I don't think I will ever go Back.

Razor sharp Rocks, Surf Gangs and drive-by Shootings.

Forget It!
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are new.

It is so simple:

Who ever is closer to the breaking pocket has the right of way 99.0%.

Here are some additional situations.

These are the Rules that have applied for the last 30 years at Leo Carrillo Surf-Sailing!

http://www.nesurf.com/Articles/Etiquette/etiquette.html

Best Regards.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What goes around, comes around. You give ground, you get ground.

I may have fallen into Gregor's 1% category the other day. Tough call.

I had a guy catch a wave in front of me when I was in it a little earlier and closer to the peak. He showed no intention of pulling out in order to give me room and did not do so. It was not a set wave, and neither was it a safety issue, so I just sort of rode it out. He kicked out earlier so I had a bit of a solo ride at the end. Minutes later, while the earlier wave was still fresh in my memory, a set came rolling through. I was on it as a swell/hump but the wind wasn't doing me any favors helping power me upwind toward the peak. I then saw that the same guy you took off in front of me was near the kelp line and stalling, waiting for the wave. At the same time, I judged that the wave was going to section over the middle rock so I beared/bore(?) off and went for the top of the steepening section. I watched the guy who was nearer the peak and he seemed to be stalling even more. So, I dropped over the top of the steep section, quickly looked back, knowing that he couldn't be close to me because he'd have had to have sailed over the exposed rocks. As I looked back, I saw him going over the top of the wave. I don't know if he gave it to me or what. Having surfed for many years before I windsurfed, I've seen many a wave pass me by because I thought that the guy on it 1st was going to make a section, or the steep takeoff, and they did not. Such things are a very tough call. I took off on this wave with that in mind. It was a good wave and it shouldn't be unridden. As I said, I looked back and he was out of the wave. I was more than willing to immediately exit if it looked like he was making the wave. But, he was standing in the straps but was letting the wave pass under him. So, yes, in most cases the guy nearest the primary peak has the right of way, but there can be extenuating circumstances. In this case, there was a second "breaking pocket". Like so much else in life, it's a judgment call. I believe that I made the right one, as I had the best wave I had all day, and the dude who was nearest the "primary pocket" either decided against riding it out, or the wave decided it for him. I'm not sure. Again, I was well-prepared to kick out if this guy was making the wave.

While surfing, I have had many instances where I was closest to the peak, let's call it "too close", and had pretty good idea that I wasn't going to make the takeoff. In those cases, I'd always tell the guy who was in a better position to actually make the wave, to "go ahead". Such things can take the guesswork out of it. Along the same lines, I had a fellow Leo regular come up and ask me if he'd cut me off on a wave. While he had taken off on the shoulder, downwind of where I was positioning myself, there was a question in my mind, and obviously his, of whether I was going to have the wind power to make it into the wave. Therefore, when I did make it, and he did drop in on the shoulder, I had no problem with it, and told him as much. I thanked him for asking about it. It was cool, as my catching the wave was no sure thing until rather late in the game.

Yup, what goes around, comes around. You give ground, you get ground.
OLAS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: As far as Lowers @ Kanaha Reply with quote

I have yelled at a few here and there over repeated dumb/reckless moves, ie. a Euro guy repeatedly dropping in a shoulder+ day on others including myself as we were working the wave for several yards this guy would make eye contact bear off and drop in 10-15 yrds. in front of whomever, would make a few turns, exit, look back and smile as if it was cool... on his third stunt attempt I just screamed a very loud EEAAAhh! he looked back ate shit and as I sailed by a knee jerk "Don't do that again, Asshole" response came out of my mouth, 30min. later on the beach he came by and apologized, then asked why couldn't he do what he wanted on the waves!
Another common one is the "New to Waves" sailor who wants to get in the waves... and when they do (anywhere and everywhere), they just go for 'sleigh rides' while sporting a 'Look! I'm wave Riding' grin, clueless to the approaching sailor on their left, who seemingly is always "going the wrong way" on their wave ... EEAAAhh!! Laughing
OLAS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gone

Last edited by OLAS! on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Having been a surfer for over 40 years my opinion of surfers is that they are a bunch of spoiled bitchers and whiners. It is as though every wave they take will be the last one they will ever get. When I started windsurfing 15 years ago I was impressed by the comraderie that was shared by windsurfers and the willingness to help one another.

Today I see more comraderie between surfers in the line up and far less between wave sailing windsurfers, note the distinction because slalom sailers are still very cool people.

There is absolutely no excuse for "GET THE FUCK OFF MY WAVE" under any circumstances!

There is always another wave!

YES, HENCE GET OFF MINE!(HA_HA)
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregor:
Your reputation precedes you.
I learned to surf at Leo in 1971, before there were leashes on surfboards, I know the rules, that was MY wave.
FYI, that "10 foot race board" you're referring to is an 84 liter 7'7" Exocet Cross.
You should try de-caf.

gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Gregor:
I learned to surf at Leo in 1971, before there were leashes on surfboards, I know the rules, that was MY wave.
FYI, that "10 foot race board" you're referring to is an 84 liter 7'7" Exocet Cross.
You should try de-caf.

In the future if you have a problem come talk to me and don't post BS all over the internet.

Yeah 1971-2007 at Lake Isabella.
I don't deny you are a good sailor....It is just you have ZERO wave Knowledge or skill...That is Cool too..... YET, Surf Rules apply!
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Gregor:

Pleeeeeze. Reputation has nothing to do with anything. You have one too, spennie. But hey. (yes, that's a complete sentence too) What's reputation anyway? Crap people talk about others to distract themselves from their own lives for a moment. Forget it and get real. If you have a problem with someone, try to talk to them on the beach. (uh, not with a raised voice, clenched fist, or about to swing demeanor...'cause they might misunderstand...)

As for the rules of priority in waves, well, it's complicated. People's perception of space and time is not uniform. You'd be surprised how differently two people can see the same set of circumstances, and each side will be 100% convinced that they saw it correctly. When others chime in as to what they saw, that perception is also skewed by their own personal biases for or against the parties.

It's a rough world out there. Have to navigate it the best you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: