myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CC's Forecast - Here We Go Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
I don't know how that smiley face was substituted for an 8, but I hope you all get the picture.
Ya, the smiley face:wink:
ron.c wrote:

9:00pm, signing off - pray for wind - Friday is looking big too. Sailing in the rain is also in my bag of tricks.

RC
This morning it looks like the forecasters think tomorrow will be the windy day since the storm isn't moving as quickly away from the Southern coasts as they originally thought. I haven't checked every source I can, but I have packed and repacked the vehicle with the changing observations. The opportunity for a good, easy session on Vineyard Sound passed me yesterday afternoon. The waters were not as choppy as usual and the wind was out of the East. I even saw some aging beach bunnies sunning themselves in bikinis. The challenge is to go out in a shorty and stay dry for a whole session. The shock of the cold water works in a Pavlovian way to re-enforce good technique. Sunday, I successfully spent two hours without getting any more than my boots wet. The sail was dry when I put up. My gloves were dry, too. That was the reward of a summer devoted to light wind sailing.
ron.c wrote:
I just got fouled up and sent speedy Bruce a long winded message about Pleasant Bay, instaed of posting here.

RC
I didn't get that message. As to Friday, it may be rather ballistic sailing with gusts to 35. This may be designated a Tropical Storm or Hurricane. If it is, then you are looking at torential downpours followed by long lulls. Is standing in shallow water using your sail as an umbrella for twenty minutes in your bag of tricks? How about facing a driving needling rain while over-powered?
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, it is just starting to pick up (5pm) No go for Today

In regards to sailing in the rain Bruce, here's a pop history quiz - does anyone remember sailing at Kalmus on July 5th, 2004?? It was one of those Monday holidays. It was by far the hardest rain I ever sailed in. I actually think the rain was bouncing off the water's surface. I had to sail with the leading eye closed. There were at least 10 other nut jobs on the water with me during the height of the storm. One for the record books!!!

RC
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visored helmet + shades = no more rail or hail. NOISE, maybe, but no perceptible precip. Now all ya gotta worry about is lightning.

Mike \m/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
Well guys, it is just starting to pick up (5pm) No go for Today

RC
I was out at the far end of Pleasant Bay today. Before I put up at low tide (5 pm. ish), I sailed out to the break and back. I put in at the old WWI Naval Air Station. During the afternoon, I saw one brave kiter out there and that convinced me it was worth a try. Awesome, to say the least.
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've launched from Scatteree and sailed to the new cut in a NE. Where is the old naval air station?
nhsurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Strong Island Landing Reply with quote

Steve-

The end of Strong Island Road used to be the site of a naval airship station with at least one, if not two, large hangars for the airships. There was also a seaplane ramp at the time too. I tried to post a link to the google map here, but I don't seem to be able to make it work. If you search strong island road, north chatham, ma that should do it.

Great spot for flat water blasting and speed runs in anything from NNW to ENE. The water is pretty shallow north and east of strong island and you can stand in a lot of places, especially at mid tide or lower. The two islands to the north are not that high so they don't create much wind shadow at all. In a SW wind (which is offshore) walk your board a hundred yards to the point and launch. You can then sneak behind all of those sand bars on the southern edge of Strong Island and get speed runs galore. Tired of flat water...you can hit the new cut on a broad reach. I've only done that a couple of times and it was all on an incoming tide.

Chris
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris- Thanks for the info. I've sailed in that area a little but I've never used that launch. I'll have to check it out. I love the conditions around there, great variety!
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do ya wanna hear a story?

I don't know why I feel commited to uphold my end of the bargin when making plans for sailing, but I did today. Work commitments didn't start until 12 so WTF - packed up the gear and headed to Pleasant Bay. I'm OK with the Bay knowing that it would be a 110 to 1 chance anyone else would show. The conditions looked OK, trees bending and no rain.

Hit the Orleans side just when the rain started. Conditions went from a stiff 6.0 to light. WTF now wet, I gave it a shot. The wind was so light, I knew that getting a water start was not likely. The last thing I wanted was to have someone see me swimming it and the Coast Guard would have been called. So I kept on going all the way to the Chatham golf course. The whole way without the harness. With the wind due east there was shadow starting about 200 yards from shore. I pumped my 6.0 for all it was worth. Finally that didn't work and fell in. I ended up swimming the last couple of hundred feet right to their new clubhouse. The trip probably took 20 minutes. The rain was really starting to pick up. WTF - I felt lilke a Navy Seal coming out of the water. The plan was to wade / walk along the shore towards the ocean to get away from the shadow. The fifteen minute walk was needed to get the muscle cramp out of one arm. By this time the fog was setting in too. WTF -I told myself now is the time to be a big boy head back out. I went from glass calm water to being overpowered in 1 minute due to the shadow. Sailing back in no time, I said WTF and make one turn, just to say I did. One turn let to another, then more and more. From then on my combination of a 6.0 sail /85l F2 Axxiss and a large weed fin was a bit much. But WTF, it wasn't worth stopping. The rain was every bit as hard as the 7/4/04 event mentioned earlier. At one point a missed gybe drove my knee in the back of the board. It hurt so much I felt like crying, instead I continued to yell and swear as loud as I could until the pain went away.

While rigging a Cop, who is also a high school sailing coach was parked next to me looking for speeders. He's a good guy and wished me luck. 2 from the Harbormaster's Department came watched me finish up. They gave the thumbs up.

When home, I called Mike, the Cop, who was on the Dispatch Desk. He was happy to hear that things went well. Doing construction projects for both the Police and Harbormaster Departments has given an honorary badge, which I don't abuse.

Pure Sailing Grade a B - Intense Conditions made it an A and one of the 5 for the year.

Thanks for Reading. RC

PS: Sunday morning is looking good for CC Bay with a noon time high tide. Easy high wind sailing to be had at 9, getting bigger as the tide comes in!
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the forecast has changed again for Sunday. To early to call.

RC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
Chris- Thanks for the info. I've sailed in that area a little but I've never used that launch. I'll have to check it out. I love the conditions around there, great variety!
Unfortunately rigging there isn't as user friendly as that at the Jack-knife location to which Ron has provided driving directions. It's similar to those at the Dennis beaches on the North shore of the cape. Pleasant Bay has cleaner (less eutrophic) water than that at Wackoff, but the inner Harbor has more eel grass than I've ever seen in one place. There isn't anywhere near the weed growth on the outside from what I saw.
ron.c wrote:

When home, I called Mike, the Cop, who was on the Dispatch Desk. He was happy to hear that things went well.
Funny. It reminds me of a camping trip I took with this guy who did nothing but complain all weekend, but told all his friends as soon as he got back that he had the time of his life. I do hope that you print out your story and give it to him and the Harbormaster to read. At least then, they will know more about windsurfing than they do now. Is your 6.0 cambered or not? How old is it? It's dead calm out there now. The chop on Vineyard Sound yesterday was breath-taking.
ron.c wrote:
I see that the forecast has changed again for Sunday. To early to call.

RC
No, not too early to call. I think that you'll have another chance to commit suicide Sunday. This storm might turn Hurricane before hitting N.E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: