myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's up with NW Kite??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Been reading his posts for months. Reply with quote

I'll share the water with the monkey boy. Maybe I'll get good enough next spring to do it with my kite.

And why do they call it "Going to the Dark side" if you get into kiting??? Sounds racist?
NwaMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:
As far as the "lighten up" & ill feelings go, maybe you should go back to NW Kite and talk with the guy who posted:

"That will teach the pole boarders, stay west of the tower or prepared to be POWNED!> This ain't the event site bitches"

Again, humor. Confused

River-Lizard wrote:
In the meantime, please respect our right to enjoy our sport in safety, and check your agro attitude before you go out on the water.

Absolutely agreed. Kiters feel the same way. http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-10839.html

Look, the guy made a mistake and posted that mistake. He did it so other people wouldn't make the same mistake. It was very embarrassing for him to do this; no one wants to post their own screw up on the internet. He thought educating others, to help prevent others from making the same mistake, outweighed his own embarresmaent. Real asshole, huh? He apologized. People made jokes. Isn't that what most people do in an embarassing situation? You may not like the humor, nothing to be said for that.

Final analysis. A guy made a mistake, tried to help prevent it happening again, and apologized.

River-Lizard wrote:
Maybe clean up your own backyard before hopping into ours.

Sorry, I guess I'm a real ass for disagreeing with you and trying to show you a different point of view. Imagine, people voicing their opinion. How un-American is that?
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NwaMike wrote:

Sorry, I guess I'm a real ass for disagreeing with you and trying to show you a different point of view. Imagine, people voicing their opinion. How un-American is that?

Well, umm... couldn't this comment relate just as much back to you?

Also, I don't for one moment buy into your theory that the guy innocently posted the video as a way to "educate others on what not to do". He's talking about "spraying the shit out of a windsurfer" with added smiley face.. doesn't sound like the peace and love you're preaching.

What I find the most interesting though is that it seems to have really upset you that I and others have responded to it on this forum. If you're so mellow and down, why do you even care? I haven't called anyone names, just pointed out a video of what appeared to me to be reckless endangerment, and was surprised at how few people on NW Kite actually seemed to see anything wrong with it at all. Posters on NW Kite are talking about kicking windsurfers in the head, starting turf wars, and calling windsurfers "bitches" and yet you're spending your time here, going after me, for pointing out that crashing into a windsurfer completely out of control with your kite is completely unacceptable behaviour. Very strange priorities.
NwaMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

River, I never once suggested you shouldn't post. I encourage you to post your thoughts. I'm not upset at all. I just don't understand why the Us vs Them attitude. I've helped a lot of people on the water, and never once did I care what kind of board the guy (a couple of gals too) was riding. Or how they harnessed the wind. I just see people out having fun, and sometimes pushing the envelope.

All I'm doing is trying to shed a little light here. You don't buy what I'm selling, that's OK. Think about it though. Remember what is was like when you were young. If you had to admit to something embarrassing, did you cry and beg forgiveness, or did you try and lighten the moment with humor? If you witnessed a friend doing something embarrassing, did you have an Oprah moment, or did you kid around? Read the thread I posted in my last post; look at his reaction to another kiter endangering someone, and showing no remorse.

Maybe he didn't do it the way you would have, but he tried to point out that mistakes can happen, better be careful. He did this the way most young men would. In fact, most young men would have said WTF and blown it off. Instead, he posted it so others could see him screw up. You really think he is proud of screwing up? You really think he enjoys people seeing him screw up? Sit back, think "why would this kid post a video showing him screwing up so bad?" Being cool is about daring and skill, about doing precisely what you planned to do. Clearly, this was not cool. Just as clearly, the poster knew it was not cool.

It's funny, posters on both forums pretty much have the same opinions on safety and respecting other riders. A lot of sailors on this forum just don't speak the same language as posters on the other forum. You read one thing, and take away something the author never intended.

I've never, ever, seen the animosity displayed on this forum on the other forum. (Except by the occasional troll.) That's what I don't understand. If kiteboarding had never been invented, the same guys you don't like would be windsurfing instead of kiteboarding. You still wouldn't like the few a-holes.

Prejudice is the irrational characterization of many because of actions of a few. It really mainly hurts the one holding the prejudice. I realize that probably 99% of windsurfers are cool people, even though a couple are jerks. I guess if it makes it easier for you, that's cool. Just have fun on the water!

Oh yeah,

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16140

Very Happy
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NwaMike, I just find your whole post to be passive-aggressive... this whole "hey, if you can't handle it..." thing. For the last time, talk to the guys who are posting about kicking windsurfers in the head, not the people who raise concerns when they see out of control behaviour.

For the record, I have helped many, many kiters. One guy who drifted past Bob's Beach I actually towed into shore, only to munch my $150 fin on a rock on the way back out. Don't post like you're the only one who ever helped anyone. I've retrieved boards, kites, and towed in kiters more than once. You've made the assumption that I don't like kiteboarders, and that my posting is about "us vs them". Its not. Its about respecting each other out on the water... I don't care if your windsurfing, kiting, on a Jet Ski, whatever.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How should anyone interpret these comments?

yardsale wrote:
Amery and I almost killed windsurfers..." How did you miss that guy Adam....you had him lined up perfectly! Chuck Norris would have done an unhooked board off round house kick to the Windsurfers head, landed blind and kited between the marker piling then folded his kite and rolled up his lines before hitting the beach.

Bonetti, I'll be cool with you jumping over me when you hand me a certified check for $500,000 first. How many kiters have asked you to jump over them? Are they in their right minds?

So were you trying to go over him or just random? I wish we knew some cool windsurfers that were cool with us launching over them!!!

pdxMonkeyBoy, care to come out from behind your internet name and say that in public? How about in front of everyone at the event site?

That will teach the pole boarders, stay west of the tower or prepared to be POWNED!> This ain't the event site bitches Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Who spends more time on the internet trolling around and who spends more time sailing? That's something completely subjective to what one may see on these screens....

Drock speading the love....

Note to readers: not all windsurfers are like this, just the ones who troll the internet and don't spend enough time on the water. I think we all get a little pissy though when there is a lack of water time in our daily lives.

Please count the number of posts of everyone you may think is "cool" or not before you make comments like that.

GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NwaMike wrote:

Prejudice is the irrational characterization of many because of actions of a few. It really mainly hurts the one holding the prejudice. I realize that probably 99% of windsurfers are cool people, even though a couple are jerks. I guess if it makes it easier for you, that's cool. Just have fun on the water!

Oh yeah,

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16140

Very Happy

Wow, there's a lot I don't get here. What a saw on the now removed video was a kiter that was clearly out of control and that represented a real danger to other people, specially to the one that could have got killed. The sound track was also interesting: laughs and applauses. Franky, with the humor that followed on your forum, I found the whole thing very disturbing.

Now, we are called prejudiced, frustrated people that don't get enough time on the water. Funny, I had a little incident with a kiter a few weeks ago, went on the local kite forum to discuss about it and got the same king of reaction. Or, like one kiter told me: "If you can't stand the heat, stay home". Well, I am not ready to do that yet, sorry.
cdfellows

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

Down in Miami, at Crandon, an idiot kiter thought he could defy the lifeguards down there.... He got a blanket party, and had to be hospitalized.

Curious as to where you got this information jigebrisen ?

btw - I have almost been landed on by windsurfers at the Hatch numerous times - I have had more 'near KO's' windsurfing than KBing.
NwaMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you almost got skewered on the mast

What was going through your head when you saw the WS on your way down? Shocked Looked pretty intense avoiding him!

I'm impressed at how fast that WS cranked that turn to avoid hitting Amery, still stayed in control and ripped off like no big deal.

Thats looks pretty dangerous... assholes.

Sorry about that. We'll definitely back up a bit more from now on! See ya next time (just hopefully not so close)!

All of the above comments were made by kiteboarders. Like I said before, you guys don't speak the same language. The comments that you're taking offense to don't mean what you think they mean. It's how young men deal.

Back in my "Go Fast" days we made fun of the Coasties. And yet, if they showed up at the "O" club, their money was no good. I, or one of my buds, bought their drinks. Why? because they saved my ass and some of my buddies asses too. We respected and admired them, and yet we made fun of them. Marines were "Jarheads", Army was "Grunts". We respected the shit out of all of them, yet we made fun of them. They made fun of us too. "Flyboys" I'm sure was one of the less derogatory terms. And they risked their lives without thought, to save ours. Try and understand, young men make fun of people while respecting and admiring them. Young men make jokes about serious situations. It's how they deal with it. Yes, the jokes can be stupid and incredibly inappropriate.

You may or may not believe this. The translation to what you've read on that thread can be summed up as:

Crap, I almost killed a guy and myself today. That was stupid. Here's how I screwed up. Don't do this shit.

Crap, that could have been bad. Glad you learned from your mistake. I'll try and not make the same mistake.

That was me you almost hit!

Jeez, I'm sorry about that man. Thanks for being cool about it. I won't make that mistake again.

Believe what you will. The reality is that the guy is sorry and knows he screwed up. He apologized and pledged not to let it happen again. There is not one trace of real animosity towards windsurfers in that thread. Yes, there's humor you justifiably find inappropriate. Again, that's how young men deal.

Of course I'm not calling all of you prejudiced. But I am calling some of you prejudiced. Re-read this thread. There are a couple of posters who pretty clearly have issues with all kiters because of the actions of a few. I speak old guy too, so I don't need a translation. All I'm saying is lighten up and have fun.

See you guys on the water. I'll be the one with the big smile! Very Happy Peace.
NwaMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last comment, then I'm outta here. Here's a comment made on an unrelated thread by a poster who did not post on the offending thread. The post was made this morning.

Those manly options at the coast look good to me Tuesday afternoon, I will keep and eye out for sails.

Say what you will, but it looks like the thread may have served it's purpose. I apologize for any comments you found offensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: