myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to go - ocean side Hatteras - for wave sailing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
force5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Where to go - ocean side Hatteras - for wave sailing Reply with quote

I am an very good soundside sailor that has spent very little time in the waves. Coming to Hatteras soon and would like tips on where to go on the ocean to get "my feet wet", so to speak, in some waves. Looking for places that are not intense, since I have almost no experience in waves.

Any tips for getting off the beach would also be nice!

Thanks!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... we just finished up a two week long festival that would have been perfect for you! In fact, it was designed for people just like you!! You can scope out the details at

http://www.obxwindfest.com

Re: suitable spots: Your best bet, since our ocean looks different every single day, is to swing by any of the shops (I work at Sailworld Hatteras, across the street from the Avon Pier) and inquire when you get here. I'll gladly point you in the right direction. We offer lessons, too! $60 will get you a basic ocean sailing survival lesson, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a bunch of broken masts!
colorit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a pretty dedicated crew of wavesailors on Hatteras Island but it does get lonely when the conditions are perfect and there's only 5 guys out. Newcomers are always welcome. Part of the problem is that it is not always obvious to the newcomer where the "crew" is sailing that particular day. Often the sites such as Ocracoke, Point/Cove, False Point require 4WD access. Not to worry if we know you want to join us and don't have 4WD we can usually arrange to get you and your gear out there if we know you're coming. Best thing is like Andy said, check in at the local Shops, especially SailWorld and Ride Hatteras to find out if the "crew" is heading anywhere special that day, especially if you need to make travel arrangements. If you're unsure of the basics of launching in the surf or heading out through the shorebreak, a lesson with Andy would definately be recommended. Lot's of good sailing still on tap for the rest of the season. Columbus Day weekend is the tentative dates for a Wave Contest on the Island. Thanksgiving Week has always offered at least one Ocean Session for the past 10 years. Never overlook the first two weeks in Decmber for warm temps and good sailing.

Charles
builderguy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get in touch with this wavesailing crew? I drove down from DC half a dozen times last year and got more frustrated than I care to describe. Decided to solve the problem by taking a Kitesurfing lesson. The kiters hang together and support each other the way the windsurfers used to back in the 80's. No wonder their sport is growing and ours is dying. Hate to switch teams, but want to get more time on the water and less time looking for the mystery spot.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BuilderBro, Not sure what you're expecting, but Hatteras ain't Ho'okipa, which could lead to some disappointment, I guess...

I understand your frustration. Our little masts and mono film sails are pretty well impossible to see from the road since the dunes are too high. There could be 150 windsurfers on the water and you'd never know it if you didn't know where to look. A single kiter sure does have better visibility, let alone a group of 4 or 5.

Another issue is that very few visiting sailors charge the ocean spots, leaving the beaches pretty empty until the local crew gets out of work at 5 or 6 in the evening... There are exceptions, like when it's logo high and side off in the Cove, at which time everyone drops everything and gets there no matter what it takes Smile but that only happens once or twice a year if we're lucky.

One of the beauties of Hatteras is the ever changing conditions... creating a never ending quest for a decent setup. Keeps it interesting, for sure. The sandbars are always shifting around, especially after a big storm, so it's pretty impossible to just name one spot that is always working in any wind direction and any swell height and tide... That said, if you're coming down this weekend (highly recommended) check Ramp 34 just north of Avon. It's a short walk from the parking lot if you don't have 4wd.

Please feel free to call or stop by any of the shops on the island and inquire about the spot of the day. We also try to keep our little forum pretty well updated, and a lot of people with fancy phones set it up to get emails whenever someone posts. Check out the forum here:

http://groups.google.com/group/obxbeachlife

You might be interested in a free weather alert email service I provide, to help you score some solid conditions on your hard earned trips from DC. Click here for the details:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17162

Hope this helps, and please swing by the shop and say hello the next time you're in town!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave sailing kite BTW, is only the same as windsurfing if one seeks side off conditions. Been with kiters lots in the ocean, they cannot get the rides we can. I've become used to sailing by myself in the surf. What can anyone do for you if you get in trouble anyway? If they notice? Call the coroner's office. Think about it. How much do yo pay attn to the status of everyone, every minute? Takes 2-4 minutes to drown.

Mix it up with the shop crews where ever you go. They'll invite you along or have you scout out the spots, and ask for you to call back with a live report....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: