myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Central Florida winter wetsuits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Central Florida winter wetsuits Reply with quote

How long into the year can I get by with a 3/2 shortie in Central Florida? I'll be sailing on Cape Cod until I relocate there in November.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Central Florida winter wetsuits Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
How long into the year can I get by with a 3/2 shortie in Central Florida? I'll be sailing on Cape Cod until I relocate there in November.

Vero Beach? Does that mean we'll hear nothing more of Waquoit Bay and Glory Lane?

Will you take seedysailor and your dozens of other aliases with you, or will they be left to wander the streets of Cape Cod?
kajTEK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live on the gulf side an only wear a full suit dec-jan-feb..
being from up north you should be ok with a 3/2 in nov .. but when i go surf the east coast the atlantic is/seems? colder so i wear a full suit myself.. nov-dec-jan-feb-march.. its not the cold water as muchthat gets me its the wind from the fronts that keeps the fullsuit on me..
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can wear a shortie year round, but you may also want a 3/2
It's beautiful, inexpensive, ant the water is warm
Come on Down!!!
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite jealous guys...

I sailed last Friday up here in Vermont.
It was definitely sunny, but at 20+ knots, water temp. 58, and air temp no more than 60, it was pretty damn cold with my shortie suit with a full 3/2 over it...It got me a nice ear ache, haha.

I don't think I'll be hitting the water this season anymore unless I stumble upon some cash (bonus...not happening) and invest in a drysuit.

Enjoy the weather!
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Actually, Lake Champlain may be colder than Florida, but the winds are stronger. Jupiter sounds rather inviting given those water temps. I have vivid memories of sailing Lake Jackson in January. I definitely needed my full 3/4 in the northly winds.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of warning to all about the Jupiter sensor. I've been there, at the site, talking to a friend who is looking at his computer. That sensor reads about 10-12 mph over the reality at the water's edge. Thought I could rig a meter less, the few times I've had work place me close by, only to be slapped with the reality of other sensors that are near. Pays to be circumspect with that sensor in particular.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=koLLac=- wrote:
I am quite jealous guys...

I sailed last Friday up here in Vermont.
It was definitely sunny, but at 20+ knots, water temp. 58, and air temp no more than 60, it was pretty damn cold with my shortie suit with a full 3/2 over it...It got me a nice ear ache, haha.

I don't think I'll be hitting the water this season anymore unless I stumble upon some cash (bonus...not happening) and invest in a drysuit.

A hood makes a major difference. I use fleece rather than neoprene, and switch to a windproof fleece hood when the air is too cold for ordinary fleece. Adding a hood does more to warm me up than putting on an extra wet suit jacket over whatever I'm wearing. Next to $25 for a roller harness bar or $20 for harness lines, a $15 fleece hood is the greatest bang for the buck I can think of in this sport.

Ultimately, however, a dry suit makes a huge difference to me when the water hits 50 degrees (and feels like 33 degrees when it trickles down my spine). It extends my season by months.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: