myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windy Cove/Northly Delta launches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Windy Cove/Northly Delta launches Reply with quote

So whats the skinny on windy cove can you still launch there? Any other launches that work with the northly?
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Cove is closed. You can try the jungle just up river of the old launch, or launch under the bridge where the fisherman go. This time of year Folsom is pretty low so many of us will go to Rancho Seco.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Cove has a fence around it, the bank has erroded badly.

The spot Coach says is very small, on the WC side, just before the draw bridge, limited parking.

When the wind in June was from the North we sailed at Powerlines it
was ok, tricky entry and exit, worst is the wind had shadows from the other hills on the other side.

Works , just far from ideal.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the spot under the Three Mile Slough bridge requires a bit of a swim to the wind line, the Jungle is so named because it requires you to go down a short, steep trail thru the bushes (tough for an old guy like me even without sailing gear.) I watched some sailors do pretty well sailing the North out of Powerlines last month; those tough enough to hang on to big sails were rewarded. County Park can work, but be careful on an ebb. If (when) the wind dies you could end up in Suisun bay. Watch the forecast; last year we got some West wind right into December. Of course, today isn't yesterday, and this year isn't last year.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious whether Glass Beach would be a reasonable spot on a more northerly day. From what I recollect driving to Rio Vista from Powerlines, Windy Cove is fairly close to Glass Beach and the positioning of the river seems somewhat similar. The first time I ever sailed the Delta back in the late 80s was at Glass Beach, but it was a summer day.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never sailed there, don't know if I could find it, but looking at the map, its closer to the Rio Vista bridge, and the river follows the same direction.

So I think its a option, we were camped at Powerlines, so never went anywhere else on the north wind, it was not pretty, but drive 20 hours to get there....well see what I mean

LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Glass, Jungle, old and new WindyCove, and even SandyBeach Rec is a useable alternative for Thur-Fri predicted Northerly winds.
I wonder if Grasso's Pt., Bullhead, or even Rod&Gun will suck in any N winds.
Berkeley usually gets midday N's, but normally lighter than the aforementioned spots.
Crissy can be a bumpy challenge.
Should we look at OceanBeach for some sideoff wave riding?
radross

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy Cove is open for sailing.

During the last north wind event over the Labor Day weekend, there were lots of sailors using the Windy Cove access. There was even a park ranger there taking parking fees and approving of our sailing.

The water access is just north of the fenced off old launch area, and down a "trail" to a useable beach with lots of driftwood but no obvious debris in the water. Rate the trail down as "Rambo Level I" (on a scale of I - V, w/I being the most benign). Some were rigging in the parking area, and others down on the driftwood covered beach.

Other north-wind Delta put in locations include (1) at the bridge just south of windy cove. No parking fee, some underwater stuff to avoid depending on the tides. Reasonable getting to the wind line. And, (2) Sandy Beach, Solano County Park. This is on the other side of the river and accessed from the town of Rio Vista. Parking fee, nice grass for rigging, and easy access down a boat ramp. Seems to be some wind holes near the launch and the wind seems stronger on the Windy Cove side.

Ross.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know, it sure wasn't used when I was there this year. But nice to hear someone was enterprising enough to make it work.

89Spring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: