myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitty Hawk sailing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Kitty Hawk sailing? Reply with quote

I am planning a vacation in march to go to the outer banks/Kitty Hawk for windsurfing and kiting. I can bring my kites but I am wondering if I should bring my windsurfing stuff, I have an Ezzy 6.5 superlight, will this be to much in the wind there or what?

Also where is a good place to rent from that has a wide selection and good prices.

--Yets
DBGOODE1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: OBX windsurfing Reply with quote

Your best bet will be Ocean Air Sports (http://www.oceanairsports.com/default.cfm?)
in Avon on Hatteras Island for rental W/S gear. RIDE and Sailworld are other shops in Hatteras that probably rent gear. March can be cold so bring full wetsuit. Also consider staying on Hatteras Island in Avon. Better sailing and kiting locations. Many soundfront homes that you can rent and sail from. If it's 6.5 wind I'd go kiting and plan on w/s if it is 4.0 weather.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous post..........if you need to rent gear, it makes sense to stay around Avon........it's a hike from Kitty Hawk to Avon. I think the rental shops are open in March. However, if you are committed to Kitty Hawk, you can sail on the sound at Jockeys Ridge and Windmill Point in Nags Head. Similar conditions to further South.....sandy launch, shallow for miles, parking and rigging near the water. Both sites can be sailed from most directions but once it moves East it is dead offshore.....still sailable if there is a decent blow. Don't think there is anywhere to rent gear from Nags Head North in March. Your 6.5 could work....but equally it could be blowing 30 knots+ for days.........you won't know until you arrive.
Yets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is i have to go to kitty hawk (wife thing wants to go there and I can convince her otherwise). luckily i don't kitesurf i kite board (mountainboard) so i can always do that in the high winds.

Thanks for your advice guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: