myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River camping 2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Hood River camping 2009 Reply with quote

Making some long range plans for HR next season.

I'm searching for the spot to camp, may be tent, primative ok, or bring my trailer with all the goodies, so would need a electric hookup, have the option of either & not leaning either way right now, however the comforts of home VS a tent sound inviting.

I would like to be able to sail WHERE I stay, but would for sure make some trip to other sailing site on a day to day basis.

What about Maryhill ?

Or others ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others would know more recent tips....
Railroad at riverside camp spots keep you up unless you use earplugs, so I always preferred camping away from the shoreline, requireing a 4-15 mile drive to the spot you sail that part of the day.
Breaking down and leaving the basics is a chore, of course.
Riverside camping, whether M or Viento, usually can be buggy, noisy neighbors, or bad wind most of the day. The preferred spots, besides Maryhill some days, don't have camping nearby.
Plenty of guidebooks on campsites near the ColumbiaRiver. I suggest you buy one. But still, leaving some basic stuff around is not great for peace of mine when you're away sailing or partying.
OTOH, it's always a balance between security and comfort, needing to spend some $$$, against cheap and risky, saving lots of $$$.
Then again, the whole summer there can be experienced from mid June thru Sept., so not too long to hang on.
wsmike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a camp ground near a sailing site, then I guess Maryhill is pretty much the only option. Wind at Maryhill is pretty iffy IMO, and certainly not the windiest spot statistically during the summer. So, unless you're open to driving to find the best wind every day, you'll have to settle for what you get and find something else to do when the wind is in the corridor (most of the time) and not at Maryhill.

My previous landlord has a place in White Salmon, its about 10 mins drive to the Hatch, sits on 2 acres of nice quiet land and has a few RV pads with full hookups. He told me he was thinking of renting them out to windsurfers next season. Let me know if interested, I'll give you his contact info off list.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmike wrote:

My previous landlord has a place in White Salmon, its about 10 mins drive to the Hatch, sits on 2 acres of nice quiet land and has a few RV pads with full hookups. He told me he was thinking of renting them out to windsurfers next season. Let me know if interested, I'll give you his contact info off list.

Yes please. You PM me or
windsurf1002@hotmail.com

Cheers Razz

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrapping the power hookup requirements and the trailer for a self-contained van, pickup camper, or even a wagon/SUV /minivan with room to sleep would open up the Gorge a whole 'nuther order of magnitude. Then you could camp at or near many sailing sites; park at several launches where trailers are a hassle, obnoxious due to tight space, or even forbidden by terrain or rule; and move around much easier and quicker. Just about all launches have at least porta potties; many have bathrooms. Many people here live in well-set-up vans or even just pickups/SUVs for 3-6 months each year, and absolutely love it. The dozen years I did that in a van were sheer heaven on earth, and cost me nothing but gasoline. The only exception was the handful of hot calm spells, but mobility -- and the coast and Clatskenie and the library -- handled those just fine. I never perceived any risks except a few times at Jones Beach near Clatskenie, where I might actually close the van doors while sailing or sleeping.

Tents work, and are easy to set up once in the groove, but can be a drag when the wind changes places almost daily. Having one's bed and kitchen (and TV and radio and cooler and gear) all on one set of powered wheels makes life SO much simpler than any other arrangement I can think of. Rain? Rare, but it happens, so ya close the upwind door and windows. Bugs? I've virtually never seen flying bugs in the Gorge besides some moths on my reading lamp and a few yellowjackets sharing my lunch. I've slept outdoors in the wind there for WAY over a thousand nights with about four mosquito bites ... as long as I stayed off the mountain overnight. The exception is the pond beside the Hatchery, where de-rigging after dark can be a slapfest.

My greatest memories from all that? Sailing my ragged ASS off, greatly enhanced by total mobility. There were countless days that I was off the water as little as 7.5 hours overnight, including de-rigging and loading my sailing gear, fixing and eating supper, driving to a spot to sleep, driving back, and rigging again. Try that in a tent, or in a trailer parked at a powered campground 70-100 miles away. Better yet, drive to one of the launches where you CAN camp (e.g., Jones Beach, Home Valley, Viento, the Wall, Rufus), rig, and just sleep, eat, and sail for days on end without ever having to de-rig or make your bed.

Mike \m/
wmike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have out of state friends that tent camp for 6 to 8 weeks at either Mamolouse or Viento Oregon State Parks or Tucker County Park. Tucker is quite and about 10 minutes south of Hood Rover along side Hood River. Use Google for more info.
Bret

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the south side Viento State park is great. B8 backs to a creek with a pleasant sound. The south of I-84 Shhhh!

vientomap.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.19 KB
 Viewed:  17490 Time(s)

vientomap.gif

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bret wrote:
the south side Viento State park is great. B8 backs to a creek with a pleasant sound. The south of I-84 Shhhh!

sorry Bret but your discriptions both of South sound the same ??

Thanks for the reply.

Sylvie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou~R2 wrote:
Bret wrote:

sorry Bret but your discriptions both of South sound the same ??

Thanks for the reply.

On the south side of the I-84, you ear the highway traffic (but at night, the traffic is low). Some sites offer you the sound and the view of the charming little creek. I like to focus on this sound instead of the traffic!

The good thing there is that you don't ear the train honks at night, which you may ear on the North side. It's something to consider because several trains pass all night long and the railroad crossing (where they honk) is very close.

You choose the noise you prefer!

But if you like the green grass and paved road, you'd prefere the North side. Wink
kellydennis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Place to camp Reply with quote

Bridge RV Park which is in Bingen/WhiteSalmon, right next to Bridgemart is a good spot 5 minutes to the Hatch/Swell and 15 minutes to Dougs Beach, and 3 minutes to downtown HoodRiver (just across the bridge). Once again the trains are close by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: