myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I am looking for the best cheapest drysuit I can get?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.....
Seems to me, for the $$$$ of a good drysuit and hood/with, you can fly to Corpus//CortezBaja/Carib and sail 20 days in warm weather and waters.
Thought you were thinking of moving or going to school somewhere warm and windy?
My buddette who went to UCSC has seen over 10 days of +20mph winds around Waddell and town, but doesn't have a car to get there. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh huh, I'm on the program. I just grabbed "42" as a random example. I haven't always lived in Hatteras (although it can be cold here, too). I started windsurfing in VT on Lake Champlain, where the Indian Summer December days saw water temps in the 30s and the first days of Spring saw us dodging icebergs... Been there, done that... That's why I moved South Razz

Cold water and air sailing has it's own list of challenges, beyond the normally difficult windsurfing challenges of a clear summer day. Hence, the "stay safe!" and spend some dough on a good suit!!

I know some peeps with the Kokatat that rave about the quality, and customer service. Good investment!
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
Uh huh, I'm on the program. I just grabbed "42" as a random example. I haven't always lived in Hatteras (although it can be cold here, too). I started windsurfing in VT on Lake Champlain, where the Indian Summer December days saw water temps in the 30s and the first days of Spring saw us dodging icebergs... Been there, done that... That's why I moved South Razz

That's where I started! (or am starting Smile )

Yeah, not really going in the water anymore since I cannot justify spending a few hundred bucks for a few extra days this fall (I can't sail all the time). So just hoping for a good ski/windski season at this point.

How do you make the move to Hatteras financially possible?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Champlain rips, dude! Have fun up there!!

-=koLLac=- wrote:

How do you make the move to Hatteras financially possible?

Easy! Make some sacrifices by minimizing ALL expenses (except windsurf and surf gear, of course), and work and sail your arse off!

My first few years I worked multiple jobs, including teaching windsurfing (so I was outside sailing all day every day) and making pizza every night. 14 hour days, 7 days a week, 9 months of the year. Free lodging, dinner, and beer every night through the pizza place. Living arrangements ranged from a closet sized room in the back of an art gallery, to a sleeping bag on top of the sail loft at my shop, to pop up campers. These days I'm a little more grounded, with a lease on a three bedroom house... But once you get the lay of the land, you can find some pretty nice places for reasonable rates (not $2000/week like the rental houses right on the sound, more like $1000/month for a 3 bedroom)

Living expenses aren't that high here. I rarely drive further than 15 miles in a day, and most days stay around the 5 mile mark. It's easy to ride a bike for all your daily errands, then just fire up the truck when you want to go sailing. To surf, I simply walk across the street with a board.

Food isn't cheap, but it's not as expensive as most resort areas. I almost never eat out at a restaurant. (except for dollar taco night) There's only one bar in town, and it pretty much sux, so there's no reason to blow a ton of cash on nightlife. Along the same lines, there isn't even a movie theater on the island anymore. It's really hard to spend money here, so you don't need much to begin with...

So, expenses are low, except for the necessary health and car insurance, cell phone, and (now) rent. Income is low, too, but with nowhere to spend it, what the hell would I do with it anyway? Put it in the stock market? Shocked
mwood5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the OP...if you live/sail in boston, don't you need to spend on quality neoprene? If it's like most other places, spring and fall are best...so, probably fairly cold up there. Winter sailing....no brainer...you need a good dry suit. You can find deals on them if you look. Maybe not the latest Oneill or Bare, but maybe a nice baggy from an old water skiier or kayaker.

m
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "nice baggies" (i.e., Goretex) cost twice what a neoprene dry suit costs, and I wouldn't buy a used one because, unlike with neoprene, you can't tell by inspection whether they leak significantly.

Mike \m/
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take, if you have to live in New England, buy a decent suit that will double your sailing season. Old Cape Cod is now getting hit with a big storm every few days or so (maybe a little too much).

For me I'd much rather spend the money on a dry suit because taking a trip is out of the question with no other sailors in the family.

When my second Bare wears out, I'm gonna take a hard look at a Kokatat.

RC
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Quite a few Gorge and Great Lakes sailors thoroughly enjoy sailing in water in the upper 30s. They're INSANE ... but they enjoy it. Wink

They're pansies. On Long Island we sail down to 33, even 32. I carry a thermometer for measuring liquids in my van, just for the entertainment value.

Smile

To the original poster: A used suit (either a heavy duty semidry or a full drysuit) is your best bet for saving a few bucks, if you're able to find one in good condition. But a "cheap drysuit" is not what you want, even if one exists. Drysuit conditions are lethal.

rpdemink@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab that used Bare drysuit ! I use one here in Michigan and its a great blend of snug bottom and loose comfortable top...always been warm for me. New ones are $400 +
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google and contact NRS in Moscow, ID. They are a fantastic dealer to work with, are very highly regarded world-wide, have a warehouse the size of a Home Depot, stand behind their products like no company I have ever seen this side of Kokatat, and most importantly for this thread, have a huge selection right now of deeply discounted dry suits. We're talking $200 for $450 non-Goretex bag type dry suits in many sizes.

I wear many of their products for WSing, and many people have asked me, "Where'd you get that GREAT [insert product here]?" They make and offer more water sports soft-wear products than any source I've ever seen. Anyone within driving distance should absolutely check out their discount loft, which contains hundreds of items ranging from Kokatat Goretex dry suits to an incredible selection of discounted hand- and foot-wear for kay8aking and our sport.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: