myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF area forecast end - tables, at least?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: SF area forecast end - tables, at least? Reply with quote

So the forecasts are done for the season, but can we at least get the tables back?
januwan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the f**k said, season is over
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season is never over here in California. Too bad many perceive windsurfing to be a season sport, like we might be living in some place like Minnesota or Michigan. While the folks at iWindsurf may not want to pay their forecasting staff for the Fall and Winter months, the wind sensors still work all year round. One just needs to keep an eye on things.

Also, while things might change, I've still noted that the forecasting curves still show up in the on screen thumbnail graphs when moving the cursor over individual sensor sites. I'm hopeful that this feature will continue to be available over the year.
jpf18

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Also, while things might change, I've still noted that the forecasting curves still show up in the on screen thumbnail graphs when moving the cursor over individual sensor sites. I'm hopeful that this feature will continue to be available over the year.
Those I understand are carried over from the NWS. One could go there straight away... I am increasingly under the impression that I'm getting progressively less out of iWindsurf. Putting subscription renewal in question now.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I subscribe to iWindsurf, and to Call of the Wind before that, for the sensor reports. In fact, I was a part of the original membership when Jim Martin initially developed the whole concept.

While I was a bit bummed out when when we lost the pager feature, because I've never owned a cell phone, I still have suitable computer access. However, on the up side, being limited to computer access did bring down the monthly cost to a very reasonable rate.

To be honest, I can't dream of being without iWindsurf's sensor reports. I'm totally addicted.
goinoff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
The season is never over here in California. Too bad many perceive windsurfing to be a season sport, like we might be living in some place like Minnesota or Michigan.

LOL! There is a season, the only sailing here in central cali during winter
is before a strong storm front...To say the season is never over is overkill.
There are never any thermals or NW days during the winter.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well goinoff, being a year round ocean sailor in northern SoCal, one has to be tuned in because we don't really get a classic season like the SF Bay area does. Sure, the spring and summer months tend to offer more opportunities, but this last summer was really as slim pickens as the late fall and winter months can be. In the fall and winter months, it's mostly about pre and post frontal winds, with some Santa Ana winds thrown in. Although monthly numbers aren't always high, the winds and conditions in the late fall and winter months can be some of the best days of the year. No way am I going to buy into the idea that the season is over.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goinoff wrote:
LOL! There is a season, the only sailing here in central cali during winter
is before a strong storm front...To say the season is never over is overkill.
There are never any thermals or NW days during the winter.

This is true if your biggest sail is 6.5.
There are quite a few clearing wind days in winter in thr bay area, if you drive a little and have big stuff. 10-12 with 15gust is planable with my 9,0. A little cold, but it's good with a thick suit. It's enough to keep me in shape for winter storm sailing (those days are a blast!) and winter trips to Maui.
ronw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
Those I understand are carried over from the NWS. One could go there straight away...

Some information from NWS is included, however, iWindsurf has it's own numerical model (WRAMS) and uses algorithms to generate a smart ensemble for the WFS 7 day forecast.

Lots of information about the models and process used here:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/support.iws?genID=27

Ron
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absoutely agree--wherever would we be without iwindsurf? Remember the old days of agitating over which site to go to, and how many times you picked the wrong one? They have majorly cut down on that problem. And with gas prices what they are now...one of our destinations is 163 miles each way. With our large gas-guzzling windsurfing vehicles to carry full gear and be able to tow a trailer when necessary, too, that's almost $100 roundtrip in gas. Being able to watch what is going on remotely, even without a forecast, is critical in attempting to predict wind patterns.

25 or so years ago, I was given advice about weather prediction in our fair state. "90% chance it will be the same as yesterday!" Looking at wind patterns from sensors only can help spot trends at your favorite locations. The meteorological reports are serious and important icing on the cake.

And for those of us who travel or are considering traveling to distant windsurfing locations, sensor readings months in advance can help us understand local patterns even before we go.

We all need to do whatever we can to support this invaluable service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: