myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quatro 81 twin fin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Iso - Arnie is one of the nicest most enthusiastic guys on the scene. If you meet him, he will gladly lend you a board to demo, offer advice (if solicited), and generally share the stoke.

So? That applies to me, too. Yet here he gets personal for no reason. Go figure!

gerritt wrote:
When discussing issues involving DTL sailing (like right of way, which you were quick to jump into), you might want to temper your answers to suit your experience.

I do, very carefully. Did any of my comments belie that?

Mike
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents worth.. the gorge is great and alot of fun with its own challenges and skill set..but.... and there's always a but... there is in NO way an adequate comparision between gorge big "swell" sailing ...no matter how hard one wishes it was...can compare to true wave sailing... only fools would think there actually was... arnie and gerrmit are both honoralble dudes and regular to the central coast wave sailing scene..there opinions are more sustancial than those who don't sail waves regularily...imho...w/ that said.. thrusters and twinzers are great...but...for single fin fans out there.. Sean Ordanez is doing custom boards again.. and after tryin out my new light wind board (~ 98L) got to say its every bit as loose & fast as my 75L naish prowave on the wave face and off the lips...in light wind..frickin unreal!!! Just food for thought for those who think twinzers and thrusters are the only option out there for insane/ loose wave sailing rides.....
attila

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a twin fin this summer out of an Amigu 7'8". I found it had positive and negative effects. In down the line sailing I could control the slide better when you wanted to break loose. More stability when dropping back in through the white white water. Good rail to rail riding in tight spaces, like small waves.

Bottom turns were a different story. You had to be spot on in technique or something because I had unpredictable results. For this reason I stopped using it except for very specific conditions. (Keeep in mind I converted a board never intended as a twin.)

Ocean Beach: offered awsome back side riding. I could dig in heal side and drive square off the bottom better than anything I have tried hands down. Speed was easy to maintain.

OB can be very bumpy. I was able to slow down and continue planing alowing for a very cushy ride.

Jumping is just average as it does not seem to go quite as high.

I am sure the newly designed twins will offer great riding in both onshore and side shore. My hack job was just for kicks and actually worked pretty well. Particularly in small waves.

I am looking at models from RRD Quatro and Fanatic for purchase this winter.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bigger side fins coupled with straighter toe in for more holding power and higher jumping speeds....
My original twin fin 7'7"er used 8.5" thin foiled wave fins. Sold it as a surfboard to one of OceanBeach's original windsurfers, TerryWeinberg. You may have heard of the original crew of JohnChilds, ColinGift, Ross and EddyConroy, DarrylScobie, and a few others (me), I logged the FIRST sideoff day at OceanBeach fall of '83.
For the MistralSLE and Kinetic twins, I always used full sized normal foiled symm 8" fins. Other guys who tried smaller fins ended up with your results, not satisfactory.
Hope the weekend rain and possible winds give you some +20mph OBSF sailing, since the swell is waay down from previous weekend.
derekd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: OB Reply with quote

What about Joey Valera? surfer from OB, used to sail waddell a lot, havent seen him for many years. Are you out there Joey?
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey.....
I didn't include him because I predated him, being the guy who taught him how to windsurf from day 2. We hung around together till summer '85, sailing all sorts of spots up and down the coast.
He can talk.
He also was able to ride a 9'6" poly glass Seatrend his 3rd day, as we'd hit HMB inside the jetty (Ida'sRestuarant), FlyingTigers, or Oyster, then when he actually could jibe, most of the surfsailing spots.
He did a quad duck jibe in front of Greenough at Lopez, I saw it.
He met some chick couple years ago and learned to kitesurf, prolly doing it at OB when it blows.
He got old, as most of us sometimes do, and mostly rides a 9'6" longboard when he surfs. Kinda sad, seeing him, Daryl, Ross, Eddy, and the gang get old.
Did you know DaveAlexander, DocHazard, BobWise, GeorgeOrbelion, RichKline, and even BelaValdez learned to ride a shortboard back then? They all went back to surfing or whatever, of course.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanwd wrote:
there is in NO way an adequate comparision between gorge big "swell" sailing ...no matter how hard one wishes it was...can compare to true wave sailing... only fools would think there actually was...

arnie and gerrmit are both honoralble dudes and regular to the central coast wave sailing scene..there opinions are more sustancial than those who don't sail waves regularily..... thrusters and twinzers are great... food for thought for those who think twinzers and thrusters are the only option out there for insane/ loose wave sailing rides.....

I agree that swell and DTL wave sailing are different beasts, and I've never seen anyone equate them, but there is certainly overlap. But your next comments -- "Arnie’s opinion [that thrusters aren't compatible with WSing] are more substantial" and "thrusters are great" -- seem self-contradictory.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you know I've been on twin fins since '68, and still have one funboard with 6.5" sidebites, no center fin.
I think you're somewhat interested in them.....
Forget the production stuff, just get a custom.
You'd want straightset fins, well out on the rail for the extra squirt each turn gives you. Seems all the customproduction stuff is a compromise.
Big outline curve where you want to turn from.
Wider tails give more squirt, as does flatter release point behind the back foot. You can place the most rocker right between your feet, then flatten it out thru the back. Hardest rails between your feet, and behind, you can bevel it to allow some sliding behind your back foot.
Cant out slightly for holding power at speed.
Play with single sided and sym fins, maybe around 7.75-8.5" since you're bigger than me.
My Pipe mid sized 7'6-8' twin fins were such, and worked really well, getting looks from all the big players AND the shapers for. That was in '77.
Quads and bonzers are good, for sure, but don't turn nearly as tight as a good twin, as pivoting around a single side fin turns way inside any multifin.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Mike, you know I've been on twin fins since '68, and still have one funboard with 6.5" sidebites, no center fin.
I think you're somewhat interested in them.....
Forget the production stuff, just get a custom.

I'm very interested in them, but I've seen way too many buds spend $1,600 to $2.500 on an actual custom -- as in shaped just for them by top Gorge shapers and a world-renown shaper -- that they complained about for months or even outright rejected. If I can test-ride a custom or OEM board with one, two, or 16 fins which allows me to do great things I can do on no other board, it's worth any cost; that's how I got into Gorge Animals. If some OTS or personally tested custom twin fin adds that much in one day to my present skills on my present best boards, I'll snap it up. In case it comes to that, I'll hang on to your recommendations, but I can't imagine a piker like me not being able to find a board on some shelf that isn't far better than I'll ever be.

But who knows ... it's taken me many years of experimenting with custom and OEM Gorge and wave boards to find 2 or 3 boards I love ... and reject about 200 others.

Mike \m/
brianfrancis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: The reason why the MFC TP Pro is labled Left and Right. Reply with quote

I just wanted to clear up any confusion there may be as to why there is a left and a right fin for the MFC TP Pro. Both fins are identical off the shelf. As you "break in" the fin by sailing it, They begin to develop a memory in the way they flex over time. It doesn't really matter if the left fin is on the right side of the board or vice versa, Just as long as either fins are always used in the same box every time. Feel free to contact MFC Hawaii at info@mauifin.com with any further questions.

Best Regards,
Brian Francis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: