myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quatro 81 twin fin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
jordanwd wrote:
there is in NO way an adequate comparision between gorge big "swell" sailing ...no matter how hard one wishes it was...can compare to true wave sailing... only fools would think there actually was...

arnie and gerrmit are both honoralble dudes and regular to the central coast wave sailing scene..there opinions are more sustancial than those who don't sail waves regularily..... thrusters and twinzers are great... food for thought for those who think twinzers and thrusters are the only option out there for insane/ loose wave sailing rides.....

I agree that swell and DTL wave sailing are different beasts, and I've never seen anyone equate them, but there is certainly overlap. But your next comments -- "Arnie’s opinion [that thrusters aren't compatible with WSing] are more substantial" and "thrusters are great" -- seem self-contradictory.

Mike \m/

not sure what yer gettin at there mike, i think you may have confused what i said or modified / mixed up that quote w/ what someone else said or somethin;
what i said was; to my experince, that thruster and twinzers can work well; but Sean's single fin boards are insanely loose and fast on the wave face as well... don't remember sayin anything about twinzers not compatable w/ ws'ing....
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct, cut'n'paste quote from your last post, not at all intended to confuse anyone. I'll rephrase the essentials: Arnie said thrusters don't seem to work and are not compatible with WS speeds. You said his opinions trump those of infrequent wave sailors ... yet contradicted his opinions in the same sentence by saying thrusters are great.

The confusion surely doesn't add to my eagerness to buy a twin-fin when I already have a rack of thruster boards I'm totally stoked on.

Mike
jordanwd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ hmmm, then you're only confusing yourself....
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike (Isobars)...
I'm surprised you haven't aligned yourself with a good shaper and get customs made wholesale minus some, like rider discount and stuff.
Cost on an epoxy custom should be in the $300 range. You can volunteer to sand, seal, hotcoat, and forego a nice glossy paint finish.
That was my route, as well as fellow shaper, saleman in a windsurf shop, ex good racer, dat stuff.
Shouldn't need to spend more than $500 for someone of your experience, skill, and special needs.
That's acceptable $$$$ wise for experimenting a bit.
From someone who shaped over 400 poly surfboards and maybe 10 styro kiteboards....
SWE106

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason why the MFC TP Pro is labled Left and Right. Reply with quote

brianfrancis wrote:
I just wanted to clear up any confusion there may be as to why there is a left and a right fin for the MFC TP Pro. Both fins are identical off the shelf. As you "break in" the fin by sailing it, They begin to develop a memory in the way they flex over time. It doesn't really matter if the left fin is on the right side of the board or vice versa, Just as long as either fins are always used in the same box every time. Feel free to contact MFC Hawaii at info@mauifin.com with any further questions.

Best Regards,
Brian Francis

Brian, thanks for answering the question dude! I swapped fins after sailing only once, would that have affected their "flex memory" already? I've sailed several times afterward and didn't notice any difference.

Now that we've cleared-up this uncertainty, can everybody please stop bickering about what I meant, said, wrote, or did not. And Derek, may I suggest to please address these type of questions directly to Rich, me, any of the other coast crew, or mauifin for that matter. Don't post these kinda questions here; too many "opinions", "feelings", "old-memories", etc, etc instead of simple fact/experience/know-how-based answers.

Now let's all just go sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by isobars on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Mike (Isobars)...
I'm surprised you haven't aligned yourself with a good shaper and get customs made wholesale minus some, like rider discount and stuff.
Cost on an epoxy custom should be in the $300 range. You can volunteer to sand, seal, hotcoat, and forego a nice glossy paint finish.

Hassle is a far bigger issue than money. I personally see more riders in my recreational circle disappointed with their personal customs than raving about them. Some of them had to fly to distant lands to coordinate and specify their shapes, buy them sight unseen, wait months for trans- or intercontinental delivery, and/or still end up receiving what the shaper likes rather than what they wanted. Some of them also got boards that fell apart very quickly. I'm still surprised when I see people ordering personalized customs for $2k who have very average amounts of shred time, money, and skills, but it's their call.

I'm not good enough to need that or patient enough to put up with it, and the only Gorge shaper I deemed capable of designing and producing a true custom worth my time and hassle moved to Brazil years ago after leaving me his personal best carbon unobtanium mad slasher. If I didn't have that as a gold standard and a ride, hadn't found a couple of other comparable boards readily available in quantity, and didn't have >100 modern OEM shapes to choose from, and if there weren't half a dozen OEM twinzers to try out, I'd be more tempted to suck it up and start experimenting with true customs.

Right now, my most-used, carefully selected, off-the-shelf rides do absolutely everything I ever demand of them, flawlessly, except plane through vacuums on a 4.2. When I find something that lowers their planing windspeed thresholds by 10 kts with no performance hits, or that raises my performance standards significantly, I'll sell my board stash (probably for a profit) and buy a few of the new find. So far no one's even suggested such a beast ... unless some twinzer fills the bill. If it does, I'll have to send Arnie a finder's fee.

Warning, Arnie; the guy who "discovered" my current favorite boards received this voice mail on his office phone: "I owe you a kiss you on the lips for that discovery".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mike \m/
brianfrancis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106,
You don't have anything to worry about if you only sailed them once or twice and then switched them. You would have to sail them quite a bit before they start to develop any memory. I am stoked you are happy with them. MFC will have 4 models of twin fins for 2009. The Maui fin site will be updated soon with all the 2009 fins. Brian
SWE106

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianfrancis wrote:
SWE106,
You don't have anything to worry about if you only sailed them once or twice and then switched them. You would have to sail them quite a bit before they start to develop any memory. I am stoked you are happy with them. MFC will have 4 models of twin fins for 2009. The Maui fin site will be updated soon with all the 2009 fins. Brian

Brilliant, Brian! I will need a set of smaller fins for the <5.0 days next spring. What fin size would you recommend? I am 205lbs dry, and have the stock 16.5cm fins that come with the 81L twin.

Aloha,
Arnie
ps: say hello to Pascal, Lalo and Keith from me.
brianfrancis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnie,
We make 14cm, 15cm, 16cm, and 16.5cm. I wouldn't go much smaller than 16cm for your weight and the board size you are using. The 16cm TP Pro is probably the most popular size here (for sailors in the 170-190 pound range) on Maui for 5.0 to 4.5 conditions. The smaller sailors (145-155 pound range) tend to gravitate towards the 15cm for 5.0 to 4.2 conditions and 14cm for the really windy days. I hope this answers your question. Brian

P.S-Pascal, Lalo and Keith say hello.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: