myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quatro 81 twin fin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, the idea of negotiating a top designer/builder for some cut rate price is kind of flaky in my mind. Come on LeeD, you can't be on Zajicek's list for new stuff being a cheap sort of character. I've never tried to curve his game, and why would I even think about it? Let the master craft the product, and pay him for what it's worth. I like rewarding talent, and frankly, I've never been disappointed.

I think isobars' negative view about custom shapers is unwarranted. You just need the right folks in the mix, and try not to bend their game. Custom isn't about telling someone what to do, but letting them do what they do best. Sure, there's some flexibility about about volume, float or some other minor factors, it's really about rockerline and performance considerations.

Overall, I know that the custom guys that I buy boards from have never disappointed me, and that's been over 16 years. Frankly, I'm hanging with that rather than gambling with the production game where every year is a new opportunity to exercise my pocketbook.
YippieYo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106 wrote:

Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard, because the smaller fins don't and can't support the higher speeds of WSboards compared to Sboards.

I'm not beating this to death, I swear. I just ran across this, and thought it might add to the discussion.

http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2008/10/dirks-quads.html

The shaper says that Mr. Twinfin himself, Kauli Seadi, said "apart from the fact that the shape was completely different from what he is used to sail the comments were very good. He especially liked the extra drive the fins give and the speed you have in the cut back."
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YippieYo wrote:
I'm not beating this to death, I swear. I just ran across this, and thought it might add to the discussion.

I don't think one CAN "beat a $2,000 decision to death", in the sense that most people, once taking the plunge, live with their choices for a year or two, and many buyers don't get to try out their gear before buying it. The most thorough twinzer discussions I've seen so far were on the Boardseeker website.

Mike \m/
maui95

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not maui95 here, it's just LeeD
I can't log in, so Iwindsurf musta censored me and my ridiculous notions right outta here Cool Cool Cool
First, the notion of bending the fin one way is ....just not thinking clearly.... All fins get soft with time, so bending the fin outwards on the bottom turn and jibes all the time means the performance CHANGES over time, and most polyester fins last what, maybe 40 days ?? before being a wet noodle (for me, closer to 20 days). G-10, on Sad wave fins, last triple it seems, so dats a possibility.
Er.. SWChandler....
I think Mike (Isobars) is a pretty well known and respected windsurfer in the Gorge area. And, he wouldn't just approach any old shaper/boardmaker, he'd hit up his buds !!
In my days as surfer/still decent windsurfer, I got stuff waaaaay below wholesale from Prodanovich, SteveMorgan, DougHaut, RandyFrench and WardCoffey, not to mention offers from JonahLepek (spelling sucks) and HaroldIggy for epoxy windsurf customs around $500 and poly glass couple hun under.
Even the illustrious (not Rick or Steve) shaper at Naish's offered me "something under wholesale".....and he's still winning Masters at Maui
You get your pricing discounts by your performance on the water and on land. If you influence and communicate with dozens of windsurfers EACH day, and they know you can actually windsurf, the manufacturers WANT you on their gear.
OK, MZ doesn't need me on his gear. I'm 59 nowadaze, and nobody cares. Besides, he's got better riders already. Sad Sad Sad
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap ... you mean you had to actually PAY for your custom boards? Wink

Mike \m/
maui95

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD again, not maui95 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Yeah, and I had to go down and pick them up myself too!
And right on, about 9 outta 10 weren't what I had in mind exactly.
But that was before I actually spent the time figuring exactly where and amounts of flats, V's, tuck, and thicknesses.
Knowing shapers tendencies to make what they want to make (remember, I shaped over 400 surfboards), I let them decide 90% of the stuff but I specified finbox location exactly and length + width, of course. And strap insert placements, since in those days, everyone rode too far forwards. By 1985, I had already decided and campaigned for strap placements 9 and 31 from the tail for go fast boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: