myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oregon Coast in the Summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakesailor17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Amazing Van Reply with quote

Mike,

The Maxivan is an impressive vehicle. It’s very well designed. I also like the fact that the nondescript white van would be good for San Carlos – as it wouldn’t attract the same level of attention as a rv would in Mexico. Did you take your van south of the border?

I love the board cabinet in your rv. That’s truly amazing. Where do you store the sails, masts and booms? What model is you rv?

Jon
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakesailor17 wrote:
The Maxivan is an impressive vehicle. It’s very well designed. I also like the fact that the nondescript white van would be good for San Carlos – as it wouldn’t attract the same level of attention as a rv would in Mexico. Did you take your van south of the border?

I love the board cabinet in your rv. That’s truly amazing. Where do you store the sails, masts and booms? What model is you rv?

I enjoyed designing and fabricating it, but I’d rather have spent the time WSing. Its low-key exterior -- not even a decal -- was deliberate. It sat parked at Agate Beach on the OR coast waiting for wind for hours, surrounded by obvious WSing vehicles and people named Pritchard and Wyman and Karnazes, but only when I raised the liftgate did they realize this “older dude” BSing with them was, at least in spirit, one of them. I could sleep in it just about anywhere a white Econoline fit in (where DOESN’T it?), and thieves in the Gorge would prefer a van with obvious gear or stickers. I joked about painting something like “Mike’s Fertilizer” on the sides. It got to Florida, Ohio, and all over the U.S. southwest, but never to Mexico.

PS: it’s for sale as we speak in the iW classifieds at http://tinyurl.com/5gokzg . (BTW, I misstated its name; it’s a Supervan. I think the Maxivan was a Dodge model.)

The RV is a 2002 24-foot Winnebago Minnie Class C. We bought it new after a couple of years picking size, brand, and model (I got a kick out of Googling use ones; people and dealers are asking more for their ‘04s than we paid for our ’02 new). I replaced the cabover bed king-sized mattress with a single mattress, and toss the sails and longer masts behind it out of sight. Four shorter masts stand upright against a bathroom wall, taking up 2 inches of room space. Booms are mounted on bathroom walls, inside the boards cabinet, and behind a pivoting chair, mostly out of sight and all out of the way. A fifth board often hugs the ceiling above the rear double bed (the ceiling is 6’11” high). Every board, boom, sail, and mast is available with little more than a simple grab; no tie-downs except for a few 6” Velcro flaps snugging some booms down and one strap holding the board up against the ceiling, yet nothing can move by itself. The three most-used boards have fins on them all the time, ready to plug in a rig and hit the water.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: