myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
La Ventana or Los Barrilos?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbeyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: La Ventana or Los Barrilos? Reply with quote

Which is better for a one week trip. We are leaning toward Los Barrilos since it is closer to the airport, but Vela is booked. Any advice on other places to stay would be appreciated. We have wanted to windsurf Baja for years and hope this will be the first of many trips.
PoorBoyUS22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Ventana is only around 45 mins away from the La Paz airport
victor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a flight to La Paz it is a little closer to La Ventana than Los Cabos airport is to Los Barriles. Last time I was in La Paz there was a kiter ripping right off the Malecon. Nice town, too.

There are definitely more accomodation choices and extracaricular activies in Los Barriles. Vela isn't the only place to stay.
sbeyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There seem to be more flights to Los Cabos. Any suggestions on places to stay in Los Barriles?
martyrosse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to rent gear down there, La Ventana might be a better call if Vela is booked. I've only rented from Vela in Los Barrilles, but it seems like most of the other accomodations and gear rental outfits are in La Ventana (I actually don't know of any in Los Barrilles). For details, check out the Baja Guide: http://www.iwindsurf.com/travel.iws?genID=22

Also, La Ventana can have more sailable days due to a stronger thermal setup than Los Barrilles. You can definitely get skunked at both places for many days in a row during the winter. But at least this is not an El Nino year (is it?), which is the worst weather pattern for Baja wind. Your best chance of scoring sailable wind in any given week is probably La Ventana due to the better thermal that enhances/extends the El Norte winds. You might hear people say the swell is smaller at La Ventana, but I found it to be quite good. During a 10-day stay at La Ventana we had about 6-7 days of good wind and 4-8 foot swell. The swell didn't seem that much smaller than Los Barrilles really.
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from 3 days sailing on San Quintin Bay. Friday 15 mph (7 m powered up), Sat 18 - 20 mph (7m overpowered), Sunday 23 - 25 mph (6.0 hopelessly overpowered). Bay est. 75 deg+ (warmer than air or Punta Chivato or La Ventana, feels like a bath). 1.5 mi reach. Safest sail spot anywhere.

So.... why spend $1000+ going to Ventana when you can sail your own gear and drive it down 4.5 hr from la frontera? And motel for $35/night (Jadines De La Bahia) while the wife/kids have fun on miles of beach (my kids loved it).

The kiters certainly have discovered it -- no lack of them on any weekend. Windsurfers must have more money to waste or... baaaa!

Bandidos? I haven't met one in 40 years, neither have any of my friends (Mex or Gringo who drive every other week to border). Nor do "they" deter the kiters and surfers (just the wimpsurfers). Forget the bandidos, they are the least of your worries -- pay attention to your speed and passing on a blind curve/upgrade!!! If you DO meet a bandido, quickly go buy a lottery ticket.... BUT I know several testosterone junkies who are feeding the worms, and left a cross and flowers by the side of the Baja Rte 1. Speed on a mountain road and you're a candidate for a Darwin Award (and don't bother to buy a lottery ticket to win that one).
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer LV. More windy days and less tourism. All about what you want, though. I like to be out of the more developed areas. Having said that, I like going to La Paz to eat, walk around... It's a true Mexican city.
elenna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaVaya wrote:
Just returned from 3 days sailing on San Quintin Bay. Friday 15 mph (7 m powered up), Sat 18 - 20 mph (7m overpowered), Sunday 23 - 25 mph (6.0 hopelessly overpowered). Bay est. 75 deg+ (warmer than air or Punta Chivato or La Ventana, feels like a bath). 1.5 mi reach. Safest sail spot anywhere.

So.... why spend $1000+ going to Ventana when you can sail your own gear and drive it down 4.5 hr from la frontera? And motel for $35/night (Jadines De La Bahia) while the wife/kids have fun on miles of beach (my kids loved it).

The kiters certainly have discovered it -- no lack of them on any weekend. Windsurfers must have more money to waste or... baaaa!

Bandidos? I haven't met one in 40 years, neither have any of my friends (Mex or Gringo who drive every other week to border). Nor do "they" deter the kiters and surfers (just the wimpsurfers). Forget the bandidos, they are the least of your worries -- pay attention to your speed and passing on a blind curve/upgrade!!! If you DO meet a bandido, quickly go buy a lottery ticket.... BUT I know several testosterone junkies who are feeding the worms, and left a cross and flowers by the side of the Baja Rte 1. Speed on a mountain road and you're a candidate for a Darwin Award (and don't bother to buy a lottery ticket to win that one).

If you like big gear. Typically, we head another 1/2 hour to El Rosario and then 2 hours into the desert to Punta San Carlos, some of the best wave sailing on the planet. During the Winter, PSC gets some wind, but it's not that reliable and not the type of vacation you'd want to take a spouse on.

La Ventana or Los Barilles is a far better bet for better wind and swell this time of year.

Eric
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well familiar with PSC -- have a trailer there. Been going for 18 years. Would not recommend it for a non-sailing wife and kids.

My friend, Bruce Matlack, founded windsurfing rental at Ventana; we regularly flew to PSC before he moved to Florida. He believes that Bahia San Quintin is comparable to Ventana. It is a lot closer (and cheaper).

You can reasonably predict the winds at San Quintin -- if SD predicts a winter storm, you will need 4.0m, guaranteed. Bruce tells me he can't count the days people have been skunked at Ventana. If worst comes to worst, you can strap big gear onto your racks. They don't allow that on airplanes, even in Mex.

Eric, you must have a well paying job, uncomplaining wife, or no kids. I am suggesting an alternative for the rest of us.

Besides, if you venture out of the Bahia you will find some of the most renowned surfing spots on the west coast (Surfer Mag's opinion). I have sailed and surfed many of them -- Shipwreck (San Jacinto), Quatro Casas, Roberts Lefts, Bahia Boca, El Socorrito, and Surfer Mag's pick for the biggest wave on the entire west Americas (sorry can't disclose it)... among others.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but if you live in PDX or Seattle, it is cheaper, quicker and way better to fly to Maui for a week and be in heaven. But if you have to pick between the two -- LV makes sense. Expect it to be busy if you are traveling around the holidays. BTW this photo is Maui TODAY and there is no end in sight. Happy sailing.

Windcam.now.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.84 KB
 Viewed:  21248 Time(s)

Windcam.now.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: