myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
La Ventana or Los Barrilos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blireef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind is a little better in LaVentana than Los Barriles however the difference is not as great as advertized but some Laventana locals. Swell is much larger in LB on big days but it's much smoother in Laventana which is very attractive for beginners. The big swell is very good for better sailors. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. Don't count of Vela for rental gear, they usually don't have any during the peak season. Great kite schools in both places.. Jim
blireef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind is a little better in LaVentana than Los Barriles however the difference is not as great as advertized but some Laventana locals. Swell is much larger in LB on big days but it's much smoother in Laventana which is very attractive for beginners. The big swell is very good for better sailors. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. Don't count of Vela for rental gear, they usually don't have any during the peak season. Great kite schools in both places.. Jim
sbeyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. A reservation opened up at Vela, so we are going there this year. Sounds like there are more possibilities in the future. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions that have been posted. My dream is to buy an RV and take it down for long visits to both spots in the future.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget to say hi to Meredith and Pieter.
She ran CalAdventures couple season.
He's the boyfriend who runs VelaLosBarilles.
I used to sail MarinaBay lots. Is that you, Sue?
sbeyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is me and I still sail Marina Bay every summer. Had a great season this year. Lots of fabulous days, sunny and windy. Sue
dino1a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: La Ventana Wind and Rentals Reply with quote

Great casita and house rentals are available in La Ventana, with top quality rental gear. And very consistent wind.....for 2007/2008 wind stats go to http://www.captainkirks.com/resort_wind.php for all the info you'll need.

Unless you are big into waves, in the winter you can't beat La Ventana....and La Paz is a cool little city to boot.
XBALLC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to both Laventana and Los Brilles...
May I suggest San Carlos: http://XtremeBigAir.com/SanCarlos2009.cfm
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you, Susan....
I'm the guy in the little gray Honda who used to go by a bit in the summers, but last 3 years, mostly stuck at Berkeley.
San Carlos is great, but it's just not a winter spot. Meredith said it blew exactly ONE day in the last 3 weeks. She's been there since about the 23erd of Oct., now at LosBarrilles.
Of course, rumor has it LB hasn't blown once this fall also. Hmm.....
They're still setting up shop there, so work has precedence anyways.
Have a great trip, be flexible with the dive, bike, hotsprings, and yakking, as well as maybe explore the option of first stage kiteflying, if the winds don't cooperate.
sbeyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from paddleboarding on the glassy water at Marina Bay. If the wind doesn't blow when we are in Baja, maybe I will try to catch some waves!
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... SUP
Seems if winds don't blow for more than one day, then you gotta hit Todos on the WestCoast.
Even Cabo doesn't get much wave action in the winter. It works great in S swell summers, spring, and fall. But you can check swell predictions with anyone's computer there. Meredith at Vela has a laptop.
What a Nov, no wind except for up and down on the coast.
Right now, it's almost dark, watching one of our sailboats try to get in at a 1.6 minus tide. I suspect they'll anchor out and sludge 200 yards thru the mud to shore. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
At least it's no wind, warm, and full moon......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: