myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
180 pounds on a 130 icon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlang100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: 180 pounds on a 130 icon? Reply with quote

seen alot of guys saying they are 210 pounds plus riding on 130 liters and lower. i'm about to buy a naish icon 130.i'm 180 pounds,still learning jibe and live in southwest florida with limited wind. is this board ok for me or too much board? thanks
RPM7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should ask the seller (shop or individual) if you can demo it.

How it works for you really depends on what conditions you will be sailing in. Unless you have nuclear winds down there, producing serious chop (I doubt it), 130L should be just fine.

I weigh 180, live in NW Florida, and just picked up a Tabou Rocket 145. I sailed it the other day with a 6.4 sail in probably 10-13 kt winds and loved it. Can't wait to throw my 9.0 and 7.5 sails on it too.

Hope that helps you.

-RPM
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most windsurfers around 180lbs., if they are even close to making a planing jibe, meaning they get the board to go straight downwind, can easily uphaul 95 liters.
95 liters floats about 210lbs. Add 20 lbs for your rig and wetsuit.
You can be safe and go 105 liters, but that makes it only a lightwind board.
Now if you mainly windsurf in NON planing conditions, or that's your biggest worry in life, go +30 liters for sure.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlang-

I also live in Florida, and I think the Naish Icon 130 will be fine for you. If anything, it will be a little on the small side.

We just don't have enough wind in this state to ride small boards very often. I'm 160 lbs, and I find there are only about two days a week that I can ride my 106 liter board (takes about 15 mph), and only about 2 days per month that I can ride my 87 liter board (takes about 20 mph). To get more time on the water you have to go big, either a longboard or a 130+ liter board.

LeeD, with all due respect I think you are grossly exaggerating the abilities of "most windsurfers", and underestimating their board volume needs. My board size calculator, which is usually pretty accurate, says an ideal first shortboard for a 180 lb guy would be 136 liters, and the minimum size that a skilled 180 lb guy would be able to dependably uphaul would be 112 liters.

http://web.vims.edu/general/sailpaddle/SailCalculator.xls

-James
tlang100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all who responded. that makes me feel better about buying this board. i agree that the under 100 liter boards will really not be realistic down here in south west florida. thanks again.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your private msg, tlang, please.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my average shortboard skilled 220 lb'er bud uphauls his Mistral Joker 115 no problem. You must stink.
My good bud who's been missing for most of summer at the same weight easily uphauls the E rock, not Astro. Dats 108 liters.
Local guys, about 170lbs., uphaul their 78 liter boards.
I'm old, stiff, and lack balance, but at 145 lbs., easily uphaul 84 liters any wind conditions that I can sail.
TysonPoor uphauls his 90 JP, and he's easily 170.
RobWarrick mostly rides that Joker115, but I've seen him uphaul his Trance85 5 years ago, and he's 170.
Even our local cannot jibe yet 195 lbs'ers uphaul on 100 liter JPXcite's.
Maybe I'm harsh with you, but we all wear 4/3 wetsuits that sometimes weigh and additional 6+ lbs.....more when wet.
What's your excuse?
Isobars at 190 can slog 75 liter boards.
C'mon man, you gotta progress and escape all your size limitations.
No, at 145lbs., and CANNOT uphaul my 65 liter Freeride, but some friends 20lbs less seem to have no trouble doing it.
spark1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the "still learning jibes" stage too and weigh 205. I can easily uphaul my Bic Techno 118 with a 4/3 on and a 8.0 rig, but that doesn't mean I'm enjoying myself or "progressing" much on that board in really light winds (under 15mph). Regardless of what you could technically uphaul, get what is going to be fun for your conditions. More often than not, I sail my longboard because in subplaning or just planing winds, it's the most fun. Cheap too!
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlang100, any feedback? I bought a 125 liter Angulo Sumo and after a year or so went to a 160 liter Icon for winds 24 knots or less. I'm around 230 lbs, but still wonder if you wouldn't like a bigger board better in SW Fla. The Icon was a great choice for me as well. I only wish I had one down here in Forida this winter season.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlang100, I bought a 125 liter Angulo Sumo and after a year or so went to a 160 liter Icon for winds 24 knots or less. I'm around 230 lbs, but still wonder if you wouldn't like a bigger board better in SW Fla. The Icon was a great choice for me as well. I only wish I had one down here in Florida this winter season. LeeD, aren't you the guy who stated that he forgot how to waterstart because he makes every jibe? What would you know about up-hauling if that is even close to the truth? Futhermore, why do you keep sneaking over here to the Easterners forums?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: