myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Absolute beginner. 10 Lessons but still no results
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Consenso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Absolute beginner. 10 Lessons but still no results Reply with quote

Hi to all. I write from Italy so sorry for my little english.

Today i did my 10th windsurf lesson (so about 10 hours) but still they are just dips lessons.

I am 185cm for almost 90kg, I did my first 5 lessons with 5-6 knots and a 220lt board. at the end of those lessons I did some tacks after 20meters of navigation, but I mean simple tacks going around the mast.

First sail was 3.2ms then 3.9 and then 5ms.

So the instructor gave me 180lt board and we started to have lessons with 13-15knots or something more and again with more small sail.

But I started to have just dips. It's difficult to stand up on board without lost my equilibrium (I don't use to do water start, just standstill).
Something I noticed when I bring a sail smaller than 5ms I cannot have any balancing, 3.9 it's too light and if I try to go back with body I just going in the water.

Another thing, I am starting near shore and the undertow doesn't let me to be on the board easy.

Today for example there were 15knots and 0.5-0.7meters wave.

There is a way to start with this sport without let it to become frustrating?

Thanks to all
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible find flat water with no current.

Coachg
Consenso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have Just that spot in front the Sea and i saw flat water Just with no wind
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your instructor trained in instruction techniques, or just a friend who knows how to windsurf? It matters.

I can see one purpose in using such tiny sails: they are light. But as you have discovered, they don't support you once you start to fall. I found that a sail with some resistance -- at least 5 square meters for my 85 kg at that stage-- really helped me avoid some falls.

Have you tried the many How To Windsurf videos?

Windsurfing is a very challenging sport to learn, but I agree that 10 lessons (plus practicing on your own) should have you moving around pretty well. Planing? Not much. Waterstarting? No way. Staying dry? Absolutely not.

Don't be discouraged when dlee responds. The beginning progress he reports indicates skills far beyond those of any other beginner I've ever seen or heard of.

Coachg, I, and many others here could offer many tips, even concise techniques, but I for one don't want to contradict anything your instructor is saying. This is confusing enough without the extreme technique contradictions I faced when trying foiling.

Your English is infinitely better than my Italian, which consists of "pizza", "spaghetti", and -- appropriately -- "chow". Smile

Mike \m/ (shaka)
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is normal progression for 90 kilo guys who don't surf.
Deep water and chop makes standing on a 220 board difficult...forget the 180 until you are balanced and comfortable on the 220 with 5-6 meter sails.
Don't use a 3.9 until winds are over 25 mph or 22 knots.
Windsurfing is difficult to learn. Kitesurfing is easy to learn. Wingfield is also difficult to learn.
Since your water is deep and choppy, it will take some more practice time than if you had shallow water no chop, and steady breeze.
Consenso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so much for your replies.

the instructor is not my friend he should be a federal instructor also if he is very young.

I think from next lesson I will ask him to use just 5 meter square sail I think this is the first step.

I saw many videos but when I in the water and go on the board it seems also my mind is "blocked", I am afraid to fall into the water and of course I fall.

Today I had a lesson with another instructor and maybe he gave me a very good suggestion, he told me "don't loose your time to think what to do, just do it. Beacause if you stay too much to think you will fall in water and if your don't stay too much to think maybe you fall in water or maybe you will start".

Of course I will accept all your suggestions.

Thank You
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your size I think a 5.0 would be a good size sail to use during this early phase. To be successful, you must feel comfortable balancing on the board with the sail luffed (not presented to the wind). Holding on to the mast or uphaul with one hand, you want to grab the boom and gently present it to the wind. While doing that you will gently need to tip the mast slightly forward or back to determine the direction you want to go. Moving or pushing the mast forward away from you, you will begin to move off the wind. Moving or pulling the mast back towards yourself, you will begin to move into the wind. Once you understand how to move left or right, you want to be more committed to using the power of the sail to gain speed and direction.

Another thing to work on is where you stand on the board. In the beginning starting out, you'll be fairly close to the mast to better maintain your balance. However, once you feel comfortable moving slowly upwind or downwind, you need to focus on moving back on the board. While you do that, you will need to move a bit further back on the boom. This allows you to be better positioned to catch and use the power of the wind and sail.

Just some of the rudimentary basics to concentrate on. Practice will help you move along quickly and progress. Lastly, avoid getting frustrated. Being upbeat and able to laugh at yourself when you're struggling will help a lot.

Good luck in your efforts!
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike.....Isobars.
Some perspective.
I was 35 when I started windsurfing. Had been a 4A surfer in my '20's, still surfed 6 days a week. Fall/winters at Ocean Beach SF, known for big wave riding. Worked at Wises either as a shaper or shop employee. Delivered sailboats around SF Bay, always solo, in the early '70's. Raced in over 200 AMA or CMC motocross races.
Not your average 35 year old.
Now 73, after about 40 wing foil says, still cannot foiljibe.
Consenso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to you should I buy my own equipmrnt or Better continuing to use school One?

My doubt Is for the board, if I Will buy It now I should buy a beginner One and maybe in some months It Will be not good anymore and I Will Need somethimg different?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy.......
Too many questions.
How devoted are you for windsurfing?
Can you afford a new sport?
Do you have time for windsurfing?
What other responsibilities to you have in life?
Do you tend to dabble at sports or do you stick around long enough to get good?
Is your area good for windsurfing? Can you move?
What's your vehicle and living situation? Windsurf gear takes room.
Upstairs apartment? Think twice.
Where are you, and do you b ave time off during the windy season and time off during windy times if day?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: