myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area Sailors in South Padre
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakesailor17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Bay Area Sailors in South Padre Reply with quote

I sailed South Padre over Thanksgiving weekend and met a group from the Bay Area. It’s serious dedication to drive 40 hours for a week of warm weather sailing.

This inspired me. I thought about taking an RV for 2-3 weeks to experience the west coast windsurfing. If I started in the gorge and worked my way down the coast, what are the classic places to sail - OR coast, the Bay Area, Central CA or anything else that I may be missing? I’ll be doing this in June. Do you think that 2-3 weeks is enough time to cover the good sailing sites on the west coast?
jse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June is great in the Bay Area. All the usual spots are firing. However if you park your RV at Tomales, you might make some locals upset. There's room for about 10 cars there. One RV would take up a lot of spaces.

Steve
jordanwd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, small world; i was fishing at SPI over T-giving.. i actually left this morning to head over to colorado... did you get any of it yesterday? 5.0 in the morning and 4.2 by noon w/ head high surf... didn't even know there was anyone else from cali down there...
jordanwd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Area Sailors in South Padre Reply with quote

lakesailor17 wrote:
Do you think that 2-3 weeks is enough time to cover the good sailing sites on the west coast?

Much depends on your priorities. Max shred time? Max surf? SEE every site? SAIL every site (tip: there are scores of sites)? Sail every DAY? Never sail the same site twice? A rolling social event with some sailing when it's convenient? Watching hot sailors/sailing? Snaring some great gear deals?

All are valid objectives, but each requires a different plan. The only advice I can think of common to all objectives/plans would be to identify all the sites from the eastern Gorge to San Diego, mark each on the map, prioritize your objectives, define the number of weeks you can invest, list your own questions, and ask many more online.

Some questions only you can answer, which have a huge bearing on your plan:
Will I leave great wind to visit another site with unknown or no wind?
If a great site is dead today but forecast to blow tomorrow, do I stay?
What are my must-see sites?
What are my must-SAIL (within reason) sites?
Which is worse ... reaching Mission Bay with 5 days to burn and no wind, or barely reaching Chrissy Field because you caught so damned much wind from Berkeley north?
What kind of sailing do you prefer?
How important is that preference?
And many more.

Mike \m/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is yes. That is one of the best times out here. You can drive from the Gorge to the bay area or bay area to Socal in a day. The only limitation you may have is the RV. As jse pointed out, some of the sites are just not RV friendly.

If you tow another vehicle with you then you could use Sherman as base camp and hit all the bay area spots. Many people do that, including the Euros.

Coachg
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To qoute Delta windsurf; " think Rio Daze" ...
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, 2-3 months should be just about perfect!
lakesailor17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to sail 1 maybe 2 days at each location, depending on the fun factor for the site and the conditions/forecast. I’d really like to see as many of the classic west coast sailing sites as possible. With that said, I’ll probably only stay 2 days in the gorge (if the hatchery, arlington or the wall are firing) because I’m familiar with most of the gorge sites.

With mobility, I figure that I could drive to minimize being skunked.

If the RV is a problem at many sites, I could easily skip the rv entirely and car-camp / motel for better mobility. I just figured that the rv would be easier.

As for sites, I’m only familiar with the gorge locations and some oregon coast locations. Where are the places called Tomales, Sherman, Delta, Rio? What are some of the other classic sites on the west coast.
allen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 costal spots not to miss as you head down from San Francisco are Davenport (just north of Santa Cruz), Arroyo Laguna (across from the Hearst Castle) and Leo Carrillo state beach (north Malibu just south of the Ventura county line)......

Rio Vista (east of SF, part of the Sacramento River Delta) is kind of a poor man's Gorge w/smaller ramps, less wind and probably dirtier water....if you've done the Gorge you could almost skip the Delta and go spots like 3rd Ave and Crissy closer to the city........The 3rd ave Channel when it's 5.0 or better is a fun place
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: