myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Travel to Bonaire vs Baja
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenyves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Travel to Bonaire vs Baja Reply with quote

I'm trying to plan a windsurf trip for Jan 2009. Does anyone have experience/opinion about traveling to Bonaire vs Baja? Price is not the issue but overall experience is. Thanks.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you live you may be able to drive to Baja, thus take your own gear.

Coachg
human_catapult

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 days in Bonaire last January yielded 3 days of planing. The best wind was 6.0.

That's all I've got for you, haven't been to Mexico yet...
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Bonaire last Jan for a week - had 4 good days (6.0m & 5.3m), and 3 light wind days. Weather in Jan can still be a bit rainy - gets drier (and windier) in Feb & Mar. Lac Bay is a great place to sail if you like freestyle and general blasting - no waves. Warm water - no wetsuit required. Part of the bay is very shallow - nice for practicing tricks. Also, it's very common to run into Bonaire's freestyle pros - Tonky, Taty, and Kiri tearing up the place. Rentals there (Jibe City and Windsurf Place) are very good and ABK has a school at Jibe City for high quality instruction if you're in the mood. Bonaire is part of the Netherlands Antillies, so it has a funky euro-thing going on too. The island is pretty, but my (non sailing) family found it a bit dull. It can be pretty expensive and the travel is a long haul if you're coming from the west coast.

I'm going to Baja this Jan for the first time. From what I've heard, it's less expensive and certainly easier/quicker to get to from the west coast. The big thing I hear about Baja is that due to the "El Norte" weather pattern, it'll blow for a few days, then be dead for a few days. If you only have a week, you might be disappointed. Most of the Gorge people go to La Ventana - about an hour from La Paz. Very rustic there I'm told. There is a Vela resort in Los Barriles - about an hour from San Jose del Cabo. LB has a bit more civilization going on than LV. We're staying close to San Jose so my family has more to do while I sneak off to Los Barriles to sail. Check out Mike Godsey's Baja guide on iW for lots of Baja info:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/travel.iws?genID=22

bobg
allen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If windsurfing is more important, go to Baja. If diving is more important go to Bonaire. If you live on the east coast go to Bonaire, on the west coast, go to Baja. Baja is a much more attractive place w/better windsurfing (when it blows, there can be 3-4 down days in any given week) which also has the added bonus of warm water surfing on the west coast. Bonaire is a relatively unattractive island by caribbean standards that usually doesn't get good wind until later in the yr (late spring). Neither place gets high winds like the Gorge or Maui so you do have to consider alternate activities.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by swchandler on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
boarder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja is terrific contact Vela and Solo sports. They do a great job. I have been in January and late March.
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all said. Solo/Baja is for waves..it's rough and rugged from what my friends say who by the way go back each year.

Contrary to Bob's opinion on cost, compared to other Caribbean islands, IMHO Bonaire is cheap. Where can you stay neat and clean for under 100 a night? Where can you dine for 6-13 USD pp (Bobbijan's or Mona Lisa Bar Hap). Cars are 176 a week plus tax. Yes, it's a long haul to get there but the new non stops from Newark, Atlanta and JFK make it easy peasy. If you live on the West coast, Baja might be a better bet.

Our best winds blow Jan. - June. I recommend you come to Bonaire for 10 days to insure you get some nice wind. Sadly the last week was dead and the next few days are light as well. The great thing is, even when it's light wind, everyone goes out and does lightwind freestyle.

I cannot compared costs to Baja but suspect it's a lot cheaper being MX?

Cheers

Twitter: bonairebliss
caribwnd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Margarita-you won't need a car, there is wind and you won't spend a lot of $$$
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caribwnd, how are you getting to Margarita these days? How is the safety crime situation? Thanks for your comments.

Twitter: bonairebliss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: